Chain comes off too easily

SageTracey

I have a 2019 Giant Explore E2 and having issues with the chain dropping too easily - and by too easily I mean 10 times in a 45 kilometre ride!
My LBS replaced the chain even though they said it was only 50 per cent worn but it seems the real problem is that I clip the chain with my heel.
I ride with flat pedals. Unfortunately cleats are no longer an option after two knee replacements. I have big feet - but surely I am not the only one.
I have to continually, consciously think of my feet all the time to avoid this problem and that certainly takes away from the pleasure of cycling.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have a 2019 Giant Explore E2 and having issues with the chain dropping too easily - and by too easily I mean 10 times in a 45 kilometre ride!
My LBS replaced the chain even though they said it was only 50 per cent worn but it seems the real problem is that I clip the chain with my heel.
I ride with flat pedals. Unfortunately cleats are no longer an option after two knee replacements. I have big feet - but surely I am not the only one.
I have to continually, consciously think of my feet all the time to avoid this problem and that certainly takes away from the pleasure of cycling.
Chainguides can solve the issue, or possibly a narrow wide chainring.

I second the chain guide. I bought an origin 8 one for my quickE and it’s great for the front chain ring. I’ve had my chain for about 1200 miles with no issue, but it would come off the front going too fast over bumpy terrain. Problem solved.

@SageTracey From your description, you need a chain guard. You're gonna hafta customize outside the box. It's really fun for some of us. Most others, not so much. Nice looking bike, btw. Do you like riding it other than the chain dropping?

Here is the Benno Scout. Check out the chain guard on this beauty. It has been done before. You can too.
benno_escout_9d_graphite_gray_w_tray_2018-12.jpg

There are surgical procedures to reduce foot size and volume. This would be preferable to modifying the bike from OEM status

@SageTracey From your description, you need a chain guard. You're gonna hafta customize outside the box. It's really fun for some of us. Most others, not so much. Nice looking bike, btw. Do you like riding it other than the chain dropping?

Love the bike aside from the few teething issues. I was diagnosed with a heart condition after having both my knees replaced so my riding ability and fitness were seriously compromised for a long time. Now I am starting to get my old life back thanks to my ebike.
I'm not one to customise but will work with my LBS to get a result. They have been there for me through all of my bikes to date.

There are surgical procedures to reduce foot size and volume. This would be preferable to modifying the bike from OEM status

Lol! Knee surgery was bad enough. I have seen people go through significantly greater pain with foot surgery so that is not an option for me!

Pedal extenders

Yes, pedal extenders. Your knee issues probably don't allow you to naturally position your feet so they don't hit the chain. If you're hitting the chain, you'll likely hit a full chain guard. Pedal extenders will allow you to move your feet away and still use the full pedal. It's still going to require some concentration until you're used to the new foot position.

9/16 Pedal Extenders - Pair - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QDGJVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XV1gDbV335Q3Q

Yes, pedal extenders. Your knee issues probably don't allow you to naturally position your feet so they don't hit the chain. If you're hitting the chain, you'll likely hit a full chain guard. Pedal extenders will allow you to move your feet away and still use the full pedal. It's still going to require some concentration until you're used to the new foot position.

9/16 Pedal Extenders - Pair - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QDGJVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XV1gDbV335Q3Q

Well, I never knew such things existed. Thank you. Just moving my foot a little wider could make all the difference.

Back