Review of Gazelle 380+ Mid step

I prefer folding baskets!

Agreed! I have Novara* "folding basket" panniers on my (non-electric) Novara Fusion and I love them! Don't know if you can get anything like that from REI anymore though.

*Novara is what REI used to brand their CoOp bikes.

Yes, same experience. Taking into account Enviolo shifting is also slow (you have to rotate the shifter, which is not fast at all, comparing to i.e. pressing the shifter in the derailleur setup. Overall, Enviolo hub became quite a noticeable point of annoyance (i.e. I also hate you can't really shift all way down during stop - when bike is not moving, Enviolo only provides very limited range for shifting). Going to upgrade my bike with Kindernay VII soon and hope to get rig of major hub relates issues.

See, this is why I wish they had a C8 version of the Ultimate with a mid-step or the Medeo had a C8 version. I love internal geared hubs (my above mentioned Fusion has a 8 speed Nexus) but I'm not a fan of "continuously variable" transmissions like the Enviolo. Your issue points to one of the many reasons why I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on the C380. I wish Gazelle would offer the C8 in a high & mid-step variant.

Just picked up a mid step 380+ yesterday and wow! This thing is so cool! Awesome ride, hard to imagine how it could be better. Put 40miles on it today and just giggled the whole time. I have seen the same tight shifting under load as other posters, but quickly found that it disappears when you just ease up pressure on the cranks slightly to reduce motor load.

This is what you make when you’ve been building bikes for 100 years. Fantastic bike.
Update: Enviolo shifting has morphed with use. Less tightness to the shifter, easier to get into lowest (fastest) gear ratio. I think I read somewhere in this thread about someone else having a similar experience with some riding time under their belt, and it appears mine is going the same way (i.e., easier to shift, easier to get to “flat” position on Enviolo shifter graphic).

Update: Enviolo shifting has morphed with use. Less tightness to the shifter, easier to get into lowest (fastest) gear ratio. I think I read somewhere in this thread about someone else having a similar experience with some riding time under their belt, and it appears mine is going the same way (i.e., easier to shift, easier to get to “flat” position on Enviolo shifter graphic).
Given how the Enviolo works, I am not at all surprised that it is difficult to move when under load. This is the same behavior as in dog clutch non-synchro racing transmissions, and motorcycle transmissions. I really don't have a problem with it.

What I do have a problem with is
1 That I read in apparently current Enviolo technical literature that the transmission shifts easily under load. Mine does not. Is mine in some way an older Enviolo model? This is hard to tell as Enviolo has changed model names. Do I have a Trekking or a heavy duty variant?
2 A bigger problem for me is that the Bosch drive unit keeps load on for about half a second after pedalling stops, and this stops me from downshifting the Enviolo. Have Bosch and Gazelle believed Enviolo about shifting easily under load?

I have no problem working around this issue under low torque, or downhill. The problem happens when I am going uphill on a short uphill stretch of about 200 yards of 10% to 15% and I find I need to downshift. The Bosch applied electrical torque prevents me from shifting immediately after I stop pedalling, and by the time I have shifted and resumed pedalling, I have lost significant speed. I could possibly get more motor assist by changing from Tour to Turbo, but that creates its own problems. I see no need for this half second continuation of assist with an IGH. I couldn't say if this is helpful with a derailleur. I've been told that Bosch may make different firmware settings for different bike makers, and these may or may not be seen by end users (apparently to Bosch, we aren't customers). Maybe Gazelle made a mistake and specified the wrong setting here. Could this be the downside of buying a bike made in a flat country?

And as to other ways it could be improved:
I evidently bought a "Friday afternoon" bike. 5 out of the 6 screws used in the process of final alignment of the Powertube battery were less than finger tight. And one of the front wheel spokes had zero tension. Not great quality. My dealer didn't seem much concerned when told about it; indeed one of the principals there told me that by fixing it myself I may have invalidated my warranty.

The cutout for the Powertube battery makes that frame member flex under high pedalling torque, leading to creaking noises from the frame flexing around the battery.

The 500Wh battery is just not enough for the way the Gen 4 Performance Speed DU can guzzle electrons, and the Purion display does not provide enough information for the rider to work around this. And the Purion battery display does not have enough resolution or accuracy for the rider to judge how long a ride can be completed.

A second battery is an option for the high step and the low step frame, but not the mid step, but in these days of supply difficulties, I was told in October 2021 that if I ordered one, I would be lucky to get one before August 2022. FItting it even if you could get it is another issue; I've been told by 2 Gazelle dealers that fitment could not be guaranteed to be done in less than 4 hours at a labor cost in the region of $100/hr.
The 625Wh battery might have been OK, but it is too long for the bike frame. More flat country thinking, I imagine.

Very interesting to hear all this after buying and discovering this and now I read in January 2022 on the Gazelle USA web site about Marnie P. who has a mid step in San Francisco Marnie P C380+ and who clearly has fitted his own second battery.

So it's a fun bike to ride, but QC wasn't great in my case, and a second battery should probably be the default as should the Kiox or Nyon.

Does anyone know how to stop this site compling every time I type the word pedalling? Is this why people keep writing peddling?

Also, I found these Look City whatever pedals to be waaaay better than the Gazelle pedals that cone with it, large bikes have the same size pedals as smalls? Seriously? Size 13 fit well, better support and great traction as vibram makes shoe soles. Gazelle pedals are fine but these are like being kn a solid platform vs diving board to me.
Thanks for the tip on these pedals. I just installed them on my 380+ and they are WAAAY better than the stock pedals. Larger, more solid feel … great for biking with sandals which is 90% of my riding. I ended up getting the green/red/gray camo version which look great on the bike!

Thanks for the tip on these pedals. I just installed them on my 380+ and they are WAAAY better than the stock pedals. Larger, more solid feel … great for biking with sandals which is 90% of my riding. I ended up getting the green/red/gray camo version which look great on the bike!
I have the same pedals and they are fantastic. 😍 They have the lights on the pedal too. 😍

Took the advice of a previous poster and added the Kinect seat post to my 380+. What a difference … smooth as glass over pavers, street cracks, and so much better off the pavement. Expensive, but works as advertised and really smoothes out the ride above 20 mph.

bought the hi step. love it. had two weeks 150 miles. I got 75 miles per charge. but pedaled alot. I also have a BMW 1200GSA shaft drive. thats why i wanted the gates belt drive. Put a Kinect seat post on. expensive, but worth double the price. Love this bike. Hauls a$$ in turboView attachment 97173
I agree. I have the Large C380+ arriving this week at my LBS.
I also ride a BMW K1600 GT shaft drive motorcycle. It’s the 6 cylinder and it scoots!

View attachment 98680
Me and my C380+

My shifter shifts all the way flat today. Thats the hardest gear to use. It also shifts all the way up to super high as well. 🥳🤩👏🏾😍🥰
Can you post a picture of your Nyon display so I can see how you did it?
I will be doing the same with my bike. I want to keep the headlight in the same location too like you have. Looks like the headlight bracket will need to be trimmed down a little to allow the Nyon bracket to fit around it.

I will be doing the same with my bike. I want to keep the headlight in the same location too like you have. Looks like the headlight bracket will need to be trimmed down a little to allow the Nyon bracket to fit around it.
I settled for the simpler solution of not mounting them on the centreline. Nyon staggered to the left, headlight to the right.

I think that's a great bike--so many proper decisions on the components outfitted to that bike. But, doesn't that bottle location defeat the whole purpose of a mid-step frame? Probably not an issue for you being so tall, but it may be for someone who needs the lower top tube.
I
I think that's a great bike--so many proper decisions on the components outfitted to that bike. But, doesn't that bottle location defeat the whole purpose of a mid-step frame? Probably not an issue for you being so tall, but it may be for someone who needs the lower top tube.

I think that's a great bike--so many proper decisions on the components outfitted to that bike. But, doesn't that bottle location defeat the whole purpose of a mid-step frame? Probably not an issue for you being so tall, but it may be for someone who needs the lower top tub
Yes it is a problem.
My wife has that same problem on her mid step of this bike. We had to remove the water bottle cage.
We carry it in her bags now.

Last edited:
F18BB524-7FEA-4AFC-A5D2-08CF4E67CEE3.jpeg

You can also see it in action here:

I got superniva mini pro light and using official Nyon mount from supernova to keep both together. They are nowhere to get in USA, so had to order from Europe. But it worth it 100% - very minimal and reliable setup!

Attachments

• PXL_20220614_215933171.jpg
    PXL_20220614_215933171.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 180
  • PXL_20220614_215945212.jpg
    PXL_20220614_215945212.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Back