Review of Gazelle 380+ Mid step

So I was told Kryptonite and AXA connectors will work with each other as they are the same company branded for different markets essentially. Is this true?

So I was told Kryptonite and AXA connectors will work with each other as they are the same company branded for different markets essentially. Is this true?
They are owned by the same company, but cross-compatibility between Kryptonite and AXA parts is questionable. Do you have some specific part you are looking for compatibility with AXA. Extension chain for the frame lock? Can you share the link?

This looks like an awesome bike and I'm looking tombiy something exactly like this, except in high step and with a 85 Nm Bosch CX motor (speeds are limited to 20 mph here in Canada). Gazelle does offer the C380 HMB, but it doesn't come in high step, and has the smaller 65 NM motor. My hunt for the right bike continues...
Hi Nonlinear, I'm from Canada and also very much like this bike. Are there any issues with ordering the C380+ version. Having it shipped to an American address. Picking it up there and driving it back to Canada? Thanks.

Hi Nonlinear, I'm from Canada and also very much like this bike. Are there any issues with ordering the C380+ version. Having it shipped to an American address. Picking it up there and driving it back to Canada? Thanks.
Hi, I thought about that too since I live in Vancouver, and it's only about a 45 minute drive to the US. I think it could be possible, but I'm afraid of issues at the border. I'm not sure what I would do if the border people don't let the bike through!

Hi, I thought about that too since I live in Vancouver, and it's only about a 45 minute drive to the US. I think it could be possible, but I'm afraid of issues at the border. I'm not sure what I would do if the border people don't let the bike through!
I don't think it is illegal to own the Class 3 bike in Canada. It might be illegal to ride it in public spaces, but owning one should be fine. So I don't think you will have troubles on the border.

Well, the border would need to be open for starters. I'd be very surprised if the US doesn't extend the border restrictions again on October 20th.

Well, the border would need to be open for starters. I'd be very surprised if the US doesn't extend the border restrictions again on October 20th.
Gazelle does not ship bikes. They only sell through dealers and dealers are not allowed to just ship, have to be there in person for fitting trial etc. They want people to know bikes and be happy and are not just an internet startup company.

dealers are not allowed to just ship, have to be there in person for fitting trial etc
Well, this is not exactly true - I got my C380+ from dealer (Propel) via shipment. Yes, it was prepared for me with customizations I asked for, but you don't need to have a dealer nearby to order one and get it delivered to your home in the almost assembled state. This would be very strange requirement to pick up the bike in person as the only option available (no delivery).

Well, this is not exactly true - I got my C380+ from dealer (Propel) via shipment. Yes, it was prepared for me with customizations I asked for, but you don't need to have a dealer nearby to order one and get it delivered to your home in the almost assembled state. This would be very strange requirement to pick up the bike in person as the only option available (no delivery).
Gazelle does not allow that from their dealers unless you were there in person first. That’s their rules for dealers.

Gazelle does not allow that from their dealers unless you were there in person first. That’s their rules for dealers.
For me this was 2nd Gazelle bike from Propel and I did a test ride before ordering, so probably this is why they offer me this option. Anyway, this is not a problem, @c2Crusher will just need to go to the US dealer himself first (or can ask a US friend to do this and then order the bike to the US address).

Yes I have thought of that issue also. But I have heard that you can buy stickers that you can affix to the bike stating it is a Class 1 or 2 or whatever you want.
If it was labeled as such I don't think the boarder officer is going to take the bike out for a test run and determine if it can assist up to 20 or 28 mph.

I don't think it is illegal to own the Class 3 bike in Canada. It might be illegal to ride it in public spaces, but owning one should be fine. So I don't think you will have troubles on the border.
If what you state is correct and I think you are. I will be ordering the USA version having it shipped to a relative in the states and picking it up there and just declaring it at the border.
Thanks for the info.

One thing to be aware of, is that if you ever need warranty work from Bosch I believe you would need to bring it back to the US and go through a US dealer.

One thing to be aware of, is that if you ever need warranty work from Bosch I believe you would need to bring it back to the US and go through a US dealer.
I think you are correct. However, I believe we have a Bosch facility here in Toronto. If I needed service I would be willing to pay out of pocket.

Just picked up a mid step 380+ yesterday and wow! This thing is so cool! Awesome ride, hard to imagine how it could be better. Put 40miles on it today and just giggled the whole time. I have seen the same tight shifting under load as other posters, but quickly found that it disappears when you just ease up pressure on the cranks slightly to reduce motor load.

This is what you make when you’ve been building bikes for 100 years. Fantastic bike.

Just picked up a mid step 380+ yesterday and wow! This thing is so cool! Awesome ride, hard to imagine how it could be better. Put 40miles on it today and just giggled the whole time. I have seen the same tight shifting under load as other posters, but quickly found that it disappears when you just ease up pressure on the cranks slightly to reduce motor load.

This is what you make when you’ve been building bikes for 100 years. Fantastic bike.
mine is great now too. I adjusted the seat height and I shift differently and now everything just sort of works like a charm. 😍🥰

I've had a C380+ High Step for about 6 weeks and I'm enjoying it also. I'm a bit suspicious that I may have got a "Friday afternoon" or "shift change" bike, with the battery tray bolts being finger tight or looser, and some loose spokes as well, but so far all is easily fixed. I do have a problem with one aspect of the Bosch DU programming, and how it interacts with the Enviolo hub gears. I like hub gears, and I view the need to ease up on pedal pressure to shift as a feature, and not a bug. That being said, on my bike, when pedalling in any assist mode, the Bosch DU seems to take between a quarter and a third of a second to cut electric assist after pedalling stops. This delay time makes it effectively impossible to shift. This is a non problem when shifting to a higher gear to go faster, but it certainly IS a problem when going up a hill, needing motor assist, but also needing to downshift to maintain speed (perhaps because I'm in the wrong gear, or the hill got steeper, or I'm more tired than I estimated).
I had thought the Gen 4 DUs wouldn't do that if they "knew" they had a hub gear. Maybe my bike doesn't know....
Has anyone else experienced this delayed assist cutoff?

Has anyone else experienced this delayed assist cutoff?
Yes, same experience. Taking into account Enviolo shifting is also slow (you have to rotate the shifter, which is not fast at all, comparing to i.e. pressing the shifter in the derailleur setup. Overall, Enviolo hub became quite a noticeable point of annoyance (i.e. I also hate you can't really shift all way down during stop - when bike is not moving, Enviolo only provides very limited range for shifting). Going to upgrade my bike with Kindernay VII soon and hope to get rig of major hub relates issues.

Yes, same experience.
So aside from you not liking how the Enviolo shifts, you definitely also see the delayed assist cutoff as making it much worse?

I must admit I don't see the value of this delayed cutoff ever. Could it help shift a derailleur? I suppose I'll end up posting in the Bosch forum and see if they know what justification there is for it. I'd love to learn it could be unset.

Back