CCS SR Suntour Suspension Forks

Fildil

I have some suggestions for using the CCS forks. It was’t until I installed the Bodyfloat seatpost that I could tell if I was being kicked by the handlebars or the seat. The Bodyfloat is great.

On the right stanchion the indicator should be in the OPEN position to allow maximum suspension effect. I attached a cable tie to the stanchion to measure the travel. Slide the tie down to the seal before riding. I measured 47mm. About 12mm is sag so I got 35mm travel while riding. If you move the indicator to LOCKED then all of the impact will be transferred to your wrists.

On the left stanchion, the adjustment dial should be turned all the way CCW. This will allow maximum travel. Before you can make this adjustment, you have to remove the cover. I use a thin flat blade screwdriver to slip under the cover and pry it up. A large screwdriver or large coin can be used to turn the dial.

With these adjustments I have a very comfortable ride.

7ADC1A50-6728-4417-94D0-7B6FDEE11564.jpeg741A6A51-42A5-4928-BBC1-23C40FF100CF.jpeg0F1A222E-7B2F-4059-9FC8-259A9B0275B6.jpeg

Ha ironically I just ordered a rigid fork, Salsa Cro Moto (also recommended off hand by Ravi), getting it delivered to a shop that sells Juiced bikes, and the owner knows Tora.

I just received my CCS this week. There's no information at all on how/why to adjust the suspension fork. Zero. Perhaps it's in the online owner's manual, but I didn't see it. But nothing in the box paperwork, or that I saw in the tutorial on-line video's. While the info/photos above are informative, it's a bit beyond an entry-level explanation.

I just received my CCS this week. There's no information at all on how/why to adjust the suspension fork. Zero. Perhaps it's in the online owner's manual, but I didn't see it. But nothing in the box paperwork, or that I saw in the tutorial on-line video's. While the info/photos above are informative, it's a bit beyond an entry-level explanation.

I don't think there's any user manual... There's one for the CC.

No instructions, alas. However, as thread starter Fildil indicates, it can be adjusted.

I think the spring in our CCS fork must be pretty stiff, a high rate spring. Fildil needed to back its adjuster all the way off.

For me at 170 lbs it needed considerable backing off but not completely loose.

I have ridden for a few months now since adjusting and readjusting the fork spring tension.

I used a pair of zip ties, one to show the greatest excursion ever of the fork and one on the other side, frequently reset, to show the most recent excursion distance.,

A useful and easy way to gauge your fork's coil spring preload: While riding on the level, bounce your weight up and down on the saddle. Can you feel the fork bottom out heavily? If so, perhaps add a little more preload. It is not a sin for the fork to bottom out. There is a wide range of operation, so to speak, within the total of 60mm travel. It is your right and to your benefit to decide your best compromise of adjustment.

For instance, when riding on the level does your fork sag, say, at least 20mm? If so, you are probably in your preferred ballpark and can experiment plus and minus the preload from that point a click or two at a time.

More comfort comes with less preload; more sag, because of the reduced spring rate, means a softer and more compliant ride.

The Suntour properly adjusted gives good results, imo, for medium-heavy and heavyweight riders. For a very light rider its spring is probably altogether too strong, even fully backed off.

What makes this inexpensive fork really worth having is:

a) its easy-enough adjustment, to make it float the front end to your degree of liking, putting the front end in a state of easy float, just as a great suspension seatpost like the Bodyfloat floats your trunk weight.

b) An inbuilt non-adjustable damper well calculated by the factory to damp rebound. Pick up the front of the bike and let it drop. It lands as dead as sandbag; perfect for our modest needs.

Last edited:
My Haibike came with the manuals from Suntour, but of course the included CD was cracked half a dozen ways. I contacted Suntour today, but they tell me the manual is rather generic. My Trekking RC and the CCS as well would not have any adjustment beyond sag and lockout anyway, so the lack of a very basic manual is not a big deal.

Tire pressure will have a major impact on ride comfort. I am using the stock Kenda tires. My opinion is that 60 psi is way too hard. My front tire is soft (about 40 psi). I have no handling problems with this low pressure. Because I am using a Bodyfloat seatpost I have inflated the rear tire to a medium hardness (about 50 psi). YMMV.

Back