CCS and Rip Current going out of production without replacements CONFIRMED

Asher

According to multiple Reddit users. Sold out in all but size Medium

It's really too bad that Juiced keeps cutting it's lower priced models, especially when there's little in the way of alternatives I guess we can't expect otherwise.

Perhaps the non premium commuter segment was too small?

I've been expecting it.

Might not be so much a choice they've made as one that customers made for them. If sales of CCS's have slowed way way down since the CCX was introduced, it makes sense to run out the inventory and have done with it.

Pretty much what happened to the Crosscurrent after the CCS was introduced.

I've got to say, though, the CCS was at a great price point for all the features it included. $1699 when I bought mine, although I plunked down extra for the 17.4 Ah battery. It's too bad to see such a great bike at such a great price fade into the rear view mirror.

I'm hoping streamlining their processes will allow for a cheaper CCX. From a business perspective, I can see how the additional overhead of: Very slightly different frames (exterior vs interior routed cables), a 20 vice 25 amp controller, two types of batteries to support, two firmwares, and different tires could be streamlined into one model of bike when the two options are so close together. I wish the CCX was out when I bought my CCS last year. I added Marathon Plus tires myself, and got the 52V battery upgrade, but can't have 0 or R mode even though my bike is basically halfway between a CCS and CCX.

It seems like the CCX has the same controller as the CCS so Juiced could take the 52V/13ah battery from the Scrambler and use it to sell a cheaper version of the CCX. It probably doesn’t make a lot of sense for them to continue building legacy 48V batteries at this point. Another possibility is that an updated version of the CCX is about to be released and the CCX will drop down to the “budget” option.

Last edited:
While I like the idea of a premium option, I think they could have done more to distinguish the CCX. Like tubeless Marathon Supremes 2.2" or even better, 27.5" 2.4" or 2.8" Schwalbe Moto tires.

52V doesn't cost much extra but when no one else is doing it, you can charge a premium. They didn't do that with the Scrambler, but the Scrambler also doesn't have a costly torque sensor, or a rack.

IMO Juiced could have much broader appeal with a little more design finesse. It's getting there, and the Bird Cruiser it's making is a huge leap forward, they just need to bring that finesse back in house for their core products. Maybe they are soon.

I have a 2.35" tire on the front of my CCS, and I think it really enhances the look, for the kind of people who like high powered ebikes. A 2.35-2.8" tire stock, plus cleaning up the cabling and a rigid smooth fork, could really work nicely.

I'm hoping streamlining their processes will allow for a cheaper CCX. From a business perspective, I can see how the additional overhead of: Very slightly different frames (exterior vs interior routed cables), a 20 vice 25 amp controller, two types of batteries to support, two firmwares, and different tires could be streamlined into one model of bike when the two options are so close together. I wish the CCX was out when I bought my CCS last year. I added Marathon Plus tires myself, and got the 52V battery upgrade, but can't have 0 or R mode even though my bike is basically halfway between a CCS and CCX.
I definitely would have paid the extra money for the CCX if it had been available. But I'm really happy with the CCS so...

I saw the Electra Moto 8i in store yesterday, and it looked *really* good. Better than this photo. The 2.8" 27.5" tire is a great look. The chrome frame too, though it doesn't need to be a cruiser.

Apparently it's available with and without electricity.

Attachments

• Electra_Super_Moto_8i_alu_polished.jpg
    Electra_Super_Moto_8i_alu_polished.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • images (7).jpeg
    images (7).jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 618
  • electra-super-moto-bafang__15315.1511625843.1280.1280.jpeg
    electra-super-moto-bafang__15315.1511625843.1280.1280.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 1,104
No they don't.

CCS has 20A controller and CCX has 25A.

Look at the web page. This is the same controller Juiced sent to an owner as a warranty replacement for their Cross Current X. They posted a picture and it showed that it was a 20A peak controller. I’m pretty sure the 25A number is the “overboost” feature that that Cross Current has always had. I’ve installed this controller in my original Cross Current. Works fine and gives me the full 20A (requires some wiring modification to get working so it’s not plug-n-play.)

Compatible with:

CrossCurrent AIR 1 & 1.1
CrossCurrent S
CrossCurrent X
RipCurrent
RipCurrent S
OceanCurrent

Last edited:
But what you were saying was that CCS and CCX came with the same controller, which is not a case.

What is your evidence? Somebody posted a picture here of the warranty replacement controller Juiced Bikes sent them for their CCX and it was this exact 20A controller. Another CCX owner in that thread chimed in and said:

“I think (hope?) the CCX controller is just a CCS controller with updated firmware. Why? When Juiced sent me a replacement controller, the date code was from way back in early 2018, so my guess was they sent me an old/refurbed CCS controller with new CCX firmware. There was also no heatsink. Seems to work fine though.”

The picture that you're looking at is just an example. There's no way CCX and CC Air (both on the same list) came with the same controller.

The CCS controller was backwards compatible with the original CC and Air. The Air 1.1 came with the 20A controller stock.

Last edited:
They're now sold out of all sizes. This being Juiced, I expect the CCS page to linger for a few weeks despite being put to pasture :p.

Confirmed... And no replacements.

I wonder if it was poor sales that did it in, or Juiced wanting customers to pay more and get the CCX.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190614-124454_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190614-124454_Gmail.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 524
And the Rip Current too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190614-133823_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190614-133823_Gmail.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 510
Don't most parts of the CCX parts work on the CCS?

Yes, the controllers are interchangeable. It’s literally the same bike with a slightly different motor and a bigger (more expensive) 52V battery.

The real question IMO is whether Juiced will offer cheaper versions of the CCX/RCS with smaller batteries like they do with the Scrambler. It’s possible that they are dropping them because they weren’t selling very well. It’s also possible that tariffs on Chinese goods make it harder for them to build bikes at the $1500-1700 price point.

Last edited:
Timpo, under normal market circumstances, I'd agree.

But Juiced doesn't have much competition for well priced high powered commuter ebikes. Its customers are a quasi captive audience, so Juiced has leverage to get customers to buy the higher priced product. When I looked before and even now, there is no close substitute for a CCS if you want a 650+W, 1 Kwh 28 mph ebike at $2k (I have a CCS with the 19ah 48v battery).

We don't know whether sales were bad or it's a Gambit for more profit, but we can't rule out either.

While I might have gotten the 52V as well, there's little to think that everyone feels that way. A friend of mine ordered the CCS a few months ago pre discount, said he didn't need the extra power.

Juiced has already greatly simplified it's product distribution. It used to swap out batteries and even tires by customer request. Now, from what I can tell, the bikes don't get touched in America, just shipped out. Which is fine, but makes the claim that eliminating the CCS was necessary for streamlining dubious.

Timpo, under normal market circumstances, I'd agree.

But Juiced doesn't have much competition for well priced high powered commuter ebikes. Its customers are a quasi captive audience, so Juiced has leverage to get customers to buy the higher priced product. When I looked before and even now, there is no close substitute for a CCS if you want a 650+W, 1 Kwh 28 mph ebike at $2k (I have a CCS with the 19ah 48v battery).

We don't know whether sales were bad or it's a Gambit for more profit, but we can't rule out either.

While I might have gotten the 52V as well, there's little to think that everyone feels that way. A friend of mine ordered the CCS a few months ago pre discount, said he didn't need the extra power.

Juiced has already greatly simplified it's product distribution. It used to swap out batteries and even tires by customer request. Now, from what I can tell, the bikes don't get touched in America, just shipped out. Which is fine, but makes the claim that eliminating the CCS was necessary for streamlining dubious.

I think juiced is trying to move everything to the 52V systems..

Perhaps they're moving to a new more integrated battery solution? About the only think left I can see them improving on (besides better quality rear rim) plus a main battery rear brake light. After that bluetooth connectivity. The you have a poor man's Stromer.

Here's a thought: If they want to go to all 52 V bikes, then it takes the wider batteries. The wider batteries didn't work well in the thinner downtubes that were used in the CCS. If you change the frame to the one used in the CCX, do you still really have a CCS? At that point, the only remaining difference would be the 20 amp controller, and why sustain that? It's not just the amperage; the new controller also has the newer programming, with the zero mode, the R mode, and a re-worked Eco mode.

I'm with Juiced on this one. No auto maker kept using drum brakes when disc brakes became common. Going to 52 V systems, with the wider downtube that supports the battery better, and an improved controller -- why look backwards?

Here's a thought: If they want to go to all 52 V bikes, then it takes the wider batteries. The wider batteries didn't work well in the thinner downtubes that were used in the CCS. If you change the frame to the one used in the CCX, do you still really have a CCS? At that point, the only remaining difference would be the 20 amp controller, and why sustain that? It's not just the amperage; the new controller also has the newer programming, with the zero mode, the R mode, and a re-worked Eco mode.

I'm with Juiced on this one. No auto maker kept using drum brakes when disc brakes became common. Going to 52 V systems, with the wider downtube that supports the battery better, and an improved controller -- why look backwards?

That's a fair point, I don't have the 52V battery and wasn't aware of that.

That said... Juiced was selling the 52V at a big premium over the actual cost difference. Which is common in any brand's 'premium' product lineup. But now there is no non-premium product lineup, and Juiced doesn't have the polish to be a premium brand, let's be honest lol. But they have little competition so they do as they please.

If Juiced bikes looked like this out of the box, they'd have a whole new demographic

1560781579024.png

Back