CCS Add-ons & Upgrades & Handlebar Options

View attachment 19634
This relatively inexpensive Suntour NCX suspension seatpost is really helpful!

If you are 5' 10", the commonly sold 350mm long NCX is plenty long enough for the CCS L sized frame.
But if you can get the 400mm version, so much the better versatility for different riders and make use of a smaller and easier to straddle CCS frame.

Can't believe I've been riding hardtails for 60+ years. Finally put on a S-post along with the cushiest springer saddle I could find.
Comfort level's great, but it takes getting used to; the tail end wants to get away from me on accelerating turns. I can't really
trust it to corner as fast as before.
The new set of tires contribute. I've got Schwalbe marathons, (green guard), *on all my bikes. They last & are reliable, but on my CCS
the stock Kenda 1088s gripped the road better. You may have to replace them more often, but I think the kendas are
better on an ebike.
*except the mtn. bike. 003 (2).JPG

Put a steel Salsa CroMoto fork on, it's a lot lighter and nimbler.

Other upgrades (some already mentioned):
Gaciron stem cap cell phone mount - tight pants + big phone means you don't want to keep the phone in your pocket. This puts the phone in an ideal spot, right over the stem. Portrait or landscape.
Postino handlebar and a shim
Kinekt Body Float seatpost, alloy
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, 700 x 45 (per @Ravi Kempaiah suggestion, kinda wish I had a Big Apple 2.35" on the front now :) ).
Banjo Bros Market Panniers + hose clamps to put it on the lower skinnier rack bar
Fizik saddle from my road bike (which is now for sale...)
Not pictured:
Airzound air horn from my road bike
Lezyne Laser Drive light, ordered after I lost my rechargeable light.
$10 century outlet timer, do avoid charging to 100%.

Also, not exactly for the bike, but I got these awesome shoelaces that are elastic, so no need to lace and unlace boots and no tying - finally wearing some boots I ordered months ago. Xpand no tie laces. They keep shoes tight all day, unlike regular laces which loosen over time.

I got some cheap Retrospec pedal straps, but you have to adjust them for different shoes, plus they're annoying to get into for short stints (maybe I need to learn to trackstand...)

Attachments

• 20180427_182407.jpg
    20180427_182407.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,019
  • 20180427_182443.jpg
    20180427_182443.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,109
  • 20180427_182346.jpg
    20180427_182346.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,203
  • 20180427_182354.jpg
    20180427_182354.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,101
  • 20180427_182509.jpg
    20180427_182509.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,053
  • 20180427_182341.jpg
    20180427_182341.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,551
Last edited:

Gaciron stem cap cell phone mount - tight pants + big phone means you don't want to keep the phone in your pocket. This puts the phone in an ideal spot, right over the stem. Portrait or landscape.
Postino handlebar and a shim
Kinekt Body Float seatpost, alloy
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, 700 x 45 (per @Ravi Kempaiah suggestion, kinda wish I had a Big Apple 2.35" on the front now :) )
Banjo Bros Market Panniers + hose clamps to put it on the lower skinnier rack bar
Fizik saddle from my road bike (which is now for sale...)
Not pictured:
Airzound air horn from my road bike
Lezyne Laser Drive light, ordered after I lost my rechargeable light.
$10 century outlet timer, do avoid charging to 100%.

Also, not exactly for the bike, but I got these awesome shoelaces that are elastic, so no need to lace and unlace boots and no tying - finally wearing some boots I ordered months ago. Xpand no tie laces.

I got some cheap Retrospec pedal straps, but you have to adjust them for different shoes, plus they're annoying to get into for short stints (maybe I need to learn to trackstand...)
What a superb looking bike! You have good taste! Also, I have enjoyed Cygolites for years. Which model do you have there?

Last edited:

Also, not exactly for the bike, but I got these awesome shoelaces that are elastic, so no need to lace and unlace boots and no tying - finally wearing some boots I ordered months ago. Xpand no tie laces. They keep shoes tight all day, unlike regular laces which loosen over time.

Very cool!
That looks like a high performance commuter with all the bells and whistles.

What a superb looking bike! You have good taste! Also, I have enjoyed Cygolites for years. Which model do you have there?
I think it's the 400 or 500, from a couple years back. Not a metro. Seems to project farther than the stock light, though that may be due to placement and dispersion of the beam.

The shoelaces in camo (they have 42 colors).

As for taste, haha. Juiced did all the work. Parenthetically, even though I'm not a big fan of black in general, I think the black CCS is the best looking. The CCS would look sweet all chromed/raw, but the decals aren't really removable and you'd have to spend at least a few hundred replacing the black parts (fender, stem, rack, crank, pedals, et Al, wheels).

Also, has anyone looked into sheathing the cords in front? With my curly bar, the wires are even messier. Would be cool to have a flexible sheath or something

Attachments

• 20180427_185626.jpg
    20180427_185626.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 875
I think it's the 400 or 500, from a couple years back. Not a metro. Seems to project farther than the stock light, though that may be due to placement and dispersion of the beam.

The shoelaces in camo (they have 42 colors).
The stock light is bested by a Cygolite. I like the newer Cygolites for their lenticular lenses, making a wider pattern albeit with less throw than your older Cygolite.

I have recently gotten a pair of BadAss Sharks! Not yet mounted, but when they do go on, watch out, cars! three blinding lights. I hope to use the sharks for a wider pattern of light. I cycle a lot at night. I replaced the stock headlight (which is good and it is truly weatherproof) with this one, for its better styling and greater throw (but it is not waterproof at all).

The stock light is bested by a Cygolite. I like the newer Cygolites for their lenticular lenses, making a wider pattern albeit with less throw than your older Cygolite.

I have recently gotten a pair of BadAss Sharks! Not yet mounted, but when they do go on, watch out, cars! three blinding lights. I hope to use the sharks for a wider pattern of light. I cycle a lot at night.

Ha as long as you don't flash them at night... That is ridiculously cheap too.

It's weird, I see all these crazy high lumen lights from no name brands on Amazon, not sure what to make of it. Among name brands, the best lumen per dollar is an 1100 lumen cygolite, $70. Anything more costs a lot more money.

Yeah this cygo doesn't have the newfangled lenses.

I got those Xpand shoelaces for my Giro Jacket MTB shoes. I love the shoes. They don't scream "bike geek", while transferring power firmly from foot to pedal without aggravating the arthritis in my feet. Xpand laces are the bomb. Easy to slide shoes on and off, but keeping them tight like you said.

Has anyone tried other suspension seatposts aside from the Suntour SP12-NCX? I'm 140lbs and would prefer something where I didn't have to order extra parts to offer correct suspension for me.

Also, I'm looking for a cheap charger for work. I think someone posted the one linked below in another thread. Would this just work out of the box? Or are there other better options?

https://vruzend.com/product/52v-lithium-ion-battery-charger-3-amps/

I use the Kinekt Body Float which is supposed to be the best, though I'm 180 lbs.

I just put a $16 Kalloy SP 500 on my latest acquisition. Pre-loaded it; works surprisingly well for a cheapy. I gotta
stop lookin' at bikes on CL. You won't believe this score. Two rich little old ladies that live in an awesome mansion
sold me a pristine $460 Raleigh with a $350 motor kit & a $448 engine for $245. Belonged to one's late husband.
They were very concerned that it might not be working, as it has set in a garage for a few years. Got it home;
put in some gas & aired a tire. It fired right up on the second pull, ready to ride. I know it will get 150 mpg & 30 mph.
Oddly the sus. post was shot & mounted backwards...? Pedals very well without power, 10# lighter than my other gasser.
A lotta bike for $ 245 :) ( CL pic)
01717_3j61c4gPdug_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
That Kinekt Body Float looks awesome but, holy crap, that price! Maybe I will try a cheapy and see how that works. It's too bad the Suntour ones don't just come with everything that is needed for different body weights.

If you have a good springer saddle I don't think you need to spend a lot on a seat post unless you're a serious downhiller.
At $16, it's expendable anyway.

Has anyone tried other suspension seatposts aside from the Suntour SP12-NCX? I'm 140lbs and would prefer something where I didn't have to order extra parts to offer correct suspension for me.

Also, I'm looking for a cheap charger for work. I think someone posted the one linked below in another thread. Would this just work out of the box? Or are there other better options?

https://vruzend.com/product/52v-lithium-ion-battery-charger-3-amps/
You will still need to make an adapter for this charger, it also doesn't allow to charge only to 80%. Luna cycles makes a charger that can be set to 80, 90, or 100% charging. Theirs costs about $60. You still need to make an adapter, but it is easier to adapt to the XT60 connector than the barrel type. In the end either will work though.

That Kinekt Body Float looks awesome but, holy crap, that price! Maybe I will try a cheapy and see how that works. It's too bad the Suntour ones don't just come with everything that is needed for different body weights.
Yeah I got a like new one for half price :). So I didn't do too much research, there may be better bargains.

Ok guys, I thought I'd post some pics of my new rig with the initial add-ons I did. (More to follow :D).

First item was a set of panniers as I commute and need to be able to carry stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESLVDIU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Second was a chain catcher to hopefully prevent chain drops on the cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO3HO2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Third was some SOLAS tape added to the sides of the battery to improve side visibility at night.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F2U2WQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Forth was a triathalon style seat mounted water bottle holder.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NV0CL44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fifth was a pair of Shimano SPD clipless pedals, (I already owned these.)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Last was a Magellan Cyclo 315 bike computer.
https://www.amazon.com/Magellan-CY0315SGXNA-Cyclo-Cycling-Computer/dp/B00KT7DO5M
Pics uploading in a sec.

Attachments

• 20180509_202501.jpg
    20180509_202501.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 900
  • 20180509_202510.jpg
    20180509_202510.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 890
  • 20180509_211444.jpg
    20180509_211444.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 508
  • 20180511_192521.jpg
    20180511_192521.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 886
  • 20180511_192442.jpg
    20180511_192442.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 851
  • 20180511_192401.jpg
    20180511_192401.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 692
  • 20180509_191329.jpg
    20180509_191329.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 740
Last edited:
I just put a $16 Kalloy SP 500 on my latest acquisition. Pre-loaded it; works surprisingly well for a cheapy. I gotta
stop lookin' at bikes on CL. You won't believe this score. Two rich little old ladies that live in an awesome mansion
sold me a pristine $460 Raleigh with a $350 motor kit & a $448 engine for $245. Belonged to one's late husband.
They were very concerned that it might not be working, as it has set in a garage for a few years. Got it home;
put in some gas & aired a tire. It fired right up on the second pull, ready to ride. I know it will get 150 mpg & 30 mph.
Oddly the sus. post was shot & mounted backwards...? Pedals very well without power, 10# lighter than my other gasser.
A lotta bike for $ 245 :) ( CL pic)
View attachment 21850
Something about this just cracks me up. Rube Goldberg sort of thing I guess. :)

Back