CC Motor Burnt Out

Why a 'but'? Surely a 1000W middrive is better than a 1000W hubdrive?
Nope. A 1000w hub will be far less problems in the long night haul. Sometimes in the short run. Two different animals. Minds are rising to a fad stage.

Nope. A 1000w hub will be far less problems in the long night haul. Sometimes in the short run. Two different animals. Minds are rising to a fad stage.
Fad? Every major emtb bike maker uses mids - they have revolutionized emtbs. And if there were systemic problems, we'd hear dozens/hundreds of stories about them - but we don't. Considering mids typically are in used in more demanding situations (offroad, steep climbs, rough terrain), the wonder is why we don't hear of more motor problems.

1000 miles on CCS, no motor issues thus far. Performance actually seems to have improved with break-in. fingers crossed
for the future. I think problems may be like buying a car built on Monday as opposed to one made mid-week. Some assemblers
may have had a bad day. Quality control can't seem to catch 'em all. Then too user abuse could become an issue as well.

Fad? Every major emtb bike maker uses mids - they have revolutionized emtbs. And if there were systemic problems, we'd hear dozens/hundreds of stories about them - but we don't. Considering mids typically are in used in more demanding situations (offroad, steep climbs, rough terrain), the wonder is why we don't hear of more motor problems.
All depends on your needs. Hill's equal mid drive, flat land equal dd, I don't care who you are. Direct drive hub motor is far less maintenance regardless.

All depends on your needs. Hill's equal mid drive, flat land equal dd, I don't care who you are. Direct drive hub motor is far less maintenance regardless.
Nobody was talking about needs, it was the claim mids were essentially a fad. Mids are bringing the younger crowd into ebikes, particularly emtbs, which are the fastest growing segment in the industry. It's as much a fad as mtbs were to road bikes a few decades ago.

I posted a thread asking about real problems with mid drives , not anecdotal , but early failures you have experienced. Crickets. I personally don't like the odd feeling of a hub drive. But, if I lived in the Villages in Florida and had to get to my shuffleboard date, I might buy a Hub drive.
Both have their place.

I posted a thread asking about real problems with mid drives , not anecdotal , but early failures you have experienced. Crickets. I personally don't like the odd feeling of a hub drive. But, if I lived in the Villages in Florida and had to get to my shuffleboard date, I might buy a Hub drive.
Both have their place.
:)
It is also a neglected question whether endos are better with a hub drive or a mid drive. I say the hub drive endo is slower but affords a heavier finish than a mid drive so it helps to not let the rear hub drive bike land on your leg. But for the equipment, whether mid or rear drive, the best landing is simply to let the bike fall heavily sideways after a partial endo with T-bone component, and preserve the expensive paint with your knee.

On The Way Home In Florida From A Shuffleboard Date

Last edited:
:)
It is also a neglected question whether endos are better with a hub drive or a mid drive. I say the hub drive endo is slower but affords a heavier finish than a mid drive so it helps to not let the rear hub drive bike land on your leg. But for the equipment, whether mid or rear drive, the best landing is simply to let the bike fall heavily sideways after a partial endo with T-bone component, and preserve the expensive paint with your knee.

On The Way Home In Florida From A Shuffleboard Date

I think a Hub drive would kill a mid in endos. Once the momentum of the heavy hub gets going, it could possibly do a double.

I think a Hub drive would kill a mid in endos. Once the momentum of the heavy hub gets going, it could possibly do a double.
Strongly disagree for the same reason that a boomerang is mass-balanced for rotary throwing. The Mid Drive again is superior.

EMTB are one market segment. Yes fad for all those suckers that think a mid drive is the best and most efficient motor. Many a mid drive conversion is overkill. A GD could do all needed by most commuters. Heck a 10t GD can make a 15 mile commute with a 7.5% grade and never overheat. Look, mid drives are cool. I’ve owned and ridden all China has had to offer. They were fun. But the market is broader. The right motor for the application. Not the drive everybody is talking about. A fad.

Strongly disagree for the same reason that a boomerang is mass-balanced for rotary throwing. The Mid Drive again is superior.
Superior for what? We’d bothe be wrong to claim either was superior. Lots of applications do not need a mid drives complexity. I didn’t hesitate to own them. And if I had the need I would again. No motor is right in every application. BTW a MAC can wheely, throw a rider, and held down beat any BBSXX, Bosch, or Shimano. I like em all just with attention to goals or need.

Superior for what? We’d bothe be wrong to claim either was superior. Lots of applications do not need a mid drives complexity. I didn’t hesitate to own them. And if I had the need I would again. No motor is right in every application. BTW a MAC can wheely, throw a rider, and held down beat any BBSXX, Bosch, or Shimano. I like em all just with attention to goals or need.
I do not disagree. I merely claim that Mid Drive in certain flipping situations may crash more entertainingly.

Did you finish your Mac 2 wheel drive or have you started the build yet? Just curious, thinking about doing one myself.

Did you finish your Mac 2 wheel drive or have you started the build yet? Just curious, thinking about doing one myself.
I did a down and dirty quick trial. I acted out like a twenty something for a few rides. Way more than I will ever use, but if I were building a farm, ranch, backcountry 2wd, it would be eZee or Mac based. My final choice is a step through “Euro” frame, with a 10t rear. Will run on th3 three bats here. 36,48, and 52v. 12Fet 4110 gives me a wide range of options. Currently in my dork phase and building three more 10s 3-5s batteries.

EMTB are one market segment. Yes fad for all those suckers that think a mid drive is the best and most efficient motor. Many a mid drive conversion is overkill. A GD could do all needed by most commuters. Heck a 10t GD can make a 15 mile commute with a 7.5% grade and never overheat. Look, mid drives are cool. I’ve owned and ridden all China has had to offer. They were fun. But the market is broader. The right motor for the application. Not the drive everybody is talking about. A fad.
One-segment market? Mids dominate the fastest growing (emtb) segment and are rapidly gaining prominence in most other segments. If you live on flat ground, a hub is fine. Put one in a hilly area and they are disappointing. Much like SUVs dominate the car market because of their perceived versatility, same applies for mids - I don't want to be caught pushing a 60# bike up a hill because I bought a hub

One-segment market? Mids dominate the fastest growing (emtb) segment and are rapidly gaining prominence in most other segments. If you live on flat ground, a hub is fine. Put one in a hilly area and they are disappointing. Much like SUVs dominate the car market because of their perceived versatility, same applies for mids - I don't want to be caught pushing a 60# bike up a hill because I bought a hub
But many geared hubs will climb very well to. Certainly not for single track use, but most commuters don't need the complexity and cost of the mid drive fad. Using the eBikes.ca calculator quickly demonstrates the effectiveness of a geared hub. My 2014 mid drives are soon defunct thanks to a lack of parts. And the makers dropping production.

I did a down and dirty quick trial. I acted out like a twenty something for a few rides. Way more than I will ever use, but if I were building a farm, ranch, backcountry 2wd, it would be eZee or Mac based. My final choice is a step through “Euro” frame, with a 10t rear. Will run on th3 three bats here. 36,48, and 52v. 12Fet 4110 gives me a wide range of options. Currently in my dork phase and building three more 10s 3-5s batteries.
Would like to sell my ocean current and build another bike but to much of a PITA to ship. It's got a 17ah battery, the only thing good about the bike IMHO. I Just can't handle the little rinky dink controller and if I change to after market I won't have the torque sensor and that's the only other good thing about it. Well I shouldn't say that cause I like the bike, I just don't like the controller and not knowing what is going on with it, not having an LCD read out and therefore no adjustability. Such is life.

Would like to sell my ocean current and build another bike but to much of a PITA to ship. It's got a 17ah battery, the only thing good about the bike IMHO. I Just can't handle the little rinky dink controller and if I change to after market I won't have the torque sensor and that's the only other good thing about it. Well I shouldn't say that cause I like the bike, I just don't like the controller and not knowing what is going on with it, not having an LCD read out and therefore no adjustability. Such is life.
Any other info about the bike? Motor? Controller?

You could change the controller and keep TS. I think you have some very good options, esp3cially if it is a MAC motor. If it is it’s maybe a 12t, but still a workabl3 and pretty easy upgrade. Especially if you like it anD it’s a good fit!

Back