Carrying spare battery

Its ugly , cheap but works. 4in PVC with caps. Held by 2in velcro straps

post.JPG

My long hidden battery is diagonally View attachment 57218held in place with velcro straps in a wire basket. I cover it with a hard shell plastic cover.

Understood, but realistically, looks stupid, not really the way I might want to potentially travel 4-90 miles with a stupid oversized rack on the back. Also, some references to a Bosch battery, slightly different config.
In any event, no 1-2-3 answer, so hopefully if/when the chemistry is modified to get more from what is OEM, I'd assume there is no realistic option other than odd configurations.
Just was checking to see....I'd like to participate in the 'longer' rides with the non-e-bikers, and it's odd enough that I'm the only e-biker and I'd have to have a stupid looking oversized serving tray to carry a battery.
Talk about being the "talk of the town"....
Maybe next year....

Understood, but realistically, looks stupid, not really the way I might want to potentially travel 4-90 miles with a stupid oversized rack on the back. Also, some references to a Bosch battery, slightly different config.
In any event, no 1-2-3 answer, so hopefully if/when the chemistry is modified to get more from what is OEM, I'd assume there is no realistic option other than odd configurations.
Just was checking to see....I'd like to participate in the 'longer' rides with the non-e-bikers, and it's odd enough that I'm the only e-biker and I'd have to have a stupid looking oversized serving tray to carry a battery.
Maybe next year....

Did you peruse all the pages of those threads I linked for you? LOTS of different methods are discussed. Personally I will use a custom made sturdy bag, just big enough for my extra battery that straps to my down tube with velcro. Or, If I ever get 'Jones' handlebars I will put the same sort of bag up front hanging off the bar.

Maybe next year....
They are already laughing at us boomer...get over it. (-:

Last edited:
These cobbled solutions that put all the extra weight up high on the rear rack create a trade off that should be given serious consideration.

There is a loss of ride integrity that occurs when you load up the rear of the bike because that unweights the front of the bike, thereby reducing front tire traction, this increases braking distance and reduces grip stability in turns.

The soundest solutions for carrying a second battery, with the least compromise on stability and safety, will have the battery inside the frame, as low as possible and as equidistant between the front and rear wheels as possible.

These cobbled solutions that put all the extra weight up high on the rear rack create a trade off that should be given serious consideration.

There is a loss of ride integrity that occurs when you load up the rear of the bike because that unweights the front of the bike, thereby reducing front tire traction, this increases braking distance and reduces grip stability in turns.

The soundest solutions for carrying a second battery, with the least compromise on stability and safety, will have the battery inside the frame, as low as possible and as equidistant between the front and rear wheels as possible.

This is undoubtedly the best position to carry the weight. It also best protects the battery in the event of a crash. Unfortunately it is often difficult to achieve on many bikes, especially those with step thru frames.

Yeah if you can fit your battery into one of these Topeak 4.5L midloader frame bags you will only notice the extra weight when lifting the bike.
1600616778092.png

This is what I use. I have two of these batteries and use the small one for shorter trips or as a spare. It has a soft pack so I keep it in a Walmart case in the link below. The Walmart case is a cheap solution but I like it because it disguises the battery and it has padding.

Luna also makes a Wolf Pup model which is encased in resin and doesn’t need a case.

Soft case battery:

Wolf Pup battery:

Walmart Case:

This is my strategy...well for the moment anyway.🙄
The spare battery itself will be wrapped in a fireproof blanket inside a Stashers beer carrier. The carrier will be velcroed to the top tube of my Allant+7. The other fireproof blanket will be wrapped around my ‘regular’ battery whenever it’s in storage in my house.
A6877AFA-967A-4DDB-BC94-DEE8344C187C.jpeg
14EEBFF5-4698-47B0-9DF7-E82F8D1721C9.jpeg

Back