Carrying a Como

Onegraham

I have a trailer hitch. Wonder how folks transport their Como. I have a 2020 Como 5 low entry. Would love to hear what rack you might suggest? For my F-150 hitch. Many seem not big enough for 27” tires or no crossbar. Thanks from Moab.

I have a trailer hitch. Wonder how folks transport their Como. I have a 2020 Como 5 low entry. Would love to hear what rack you might suggest? For my F-150 hitch. Many seem not big enough for 27” tires or no crossbar. Thanks from Moab.

My Vado 6.0 has fenders and a fat downtube so finding a car rack was a challenge. I discovered the Saris Freedom 2 fits the bill, mostly because it’s under 30 lbs and I am able to lift it.
Others are using Thule racks and there are various models.

I went with a kuat NV 2. It's a really nice rack and has worked great so far. The only modification I made to it, so that it held my fendered bike better, was to get a nice strong velcro strap to strap the bottom of the front wheel down to the rack. I've seen people put the arm in front of the fender and have no issues, but I wanted to be extra secure and the strap makes a big difference. The inclusion of a basic built in work stand is pretty nice too.

I just place the straps on the rack so they are always there, I don't think a thief will be interested in stealing two little velcro straps.

Thanks all. I bit the charge card and opted for the Kuat NV 2. Took me about an hour to assemble. Incredible piece of machinery. Holds my now beloved Como 5 grandly. Awaits my bride picking an eBike. Thoroughly pleased

Attachments

• C3A199F6-66C2-4642-A51D-745CE4DAEB07.jpeg
    C3A199F6-66C2-4642-A51D-745CE4DAEB07.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 1,067
You may want to look at "1-up bike rack" (do a google search). Very good rack - I have been using it for 5 years with no problems for my pedal bikes. Definitely fits the Como (I am planning on using it with my new low entry Como). Easy on, easy off. Rack secures the bike by the tires.

I went with a kuat NV 2. It's a really nice rack and has worked great so far. The only modification I made to it, so that it held my fendered bike better, was to get a nice strong velcro strap to strap the bottom of the front wheel down to the rack. I've seen people put the arm in front of the fender and have no issues, but I wanted to be extra secure and the strap makes a big difference. The inclusion of a basic built in work stand is pretty nice too.

I just place the straps on the rack so they are always there, I don't think a thief will be interested in stealing two little velcro straps.

I second the Kuat NV 2...nice hitch rack. We really like ours.

I watched a youtube video on this rack and the arm was shown directly on the wheel next to the top tube. So, I want to make sure I understand what you do. You're saying on the Kuat NV 2 platform rack, you put the arm in front of the front fender and you have no problems? I am not doubting you, just want to be sure I understand what you are doing before I spend the money on this rack.

Yes, I have the arm in front of the fender. If all I did was that I think the bike would stay on, it would just move around more than I would like. I tried pulling/pushing on the bike while on the rack to simulate driving and the front wheel would come out of the cradle a little if I pulled hard enough, but also would slide right back into place. The amount I was pulling on the bike was quite hard, I don't think it would ever see that much force unless I put it on a truck and went off road with it.

To fix that problem I just used a velcro strap to strap the bottom of the front wheel to the front wheel cradle on the rack. With that one small and cheap modification its very secure. In the event of a front tire flat, I have also used a second strap to secure the top of the wheel to the cradle.

If you want to see pictures of this setup i'll happily try to get some pictures tonight.

I watched a youtube video on this rack and the arm was shown directly on the wheel next to the top tube. So, I want to make sure I understand what you do. You're saying on the Kuat NV 2 platform rack, you put the arm in front of the front fender and you have no problems? I am not doubting you, just want to be sure I understand what you are doing before I spend the money on this rack.

Just as a summary: I store the straps on the center part of the rack, and I normally only use the strap that holds the bottom of the front wheel down to the cradle. If the front tire is low/flat, or for longer trips, I might also put a strap on the top of the tire connecting it to the arm. I also make sure the arm is down as tight as it can go. The second strap is mostly there to be used with a second fendered bike.

edit: The rear tire strap should be on also, I didn't feel like doing it up since this was just for photos. Sorry for the quality, I waited for it to cool down and it was darker than ideal

20190709_210234.jpg20190709_210644.jpg20190709_210714.jpg20190709_210923.jpg20190709_210705.jpg20190709_210243.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and photos! I am going to pick up my new Como 5.0 and I already have a Kuat Transfer 2. The wheel cradles are different - big plastic one for each wheel - but it works similarly to the Kuat NV. I was worried about being able to hold it down securely with the fenders. The velcro strap seems like a great solution, so I'll be sure to put some on my rack. I can post a photo of it on the Transfer so others that find this thread will see how it works on that rack. It is quite a bit cheaper than the NV and holds all of my other bicycles very securely (road, mountain, fat tire)!

I went with the Thule Easyfold XT2, too. REI has them on sale but backordered to 5 Aug 20. Don’t have immediate need, so I’ll wait it out. Probably get the long ramp, too, once the rack arrives.

Using it on a 4Runner. Not lifted, but it stands high as it is.

I went with the Thule Easyfold XT2, too. REI has them on sale but backordered to 5 Aug 20. Don’t have immediate need, so I’ll wait it out. Probably get the long ramp, too, once the rack arrives.

Using it on a 4Runner. Not lifted, but it stands high as it is.
Others have posted that the extended ramp is onsale at Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee . $63.

Doesn't fit the rack's storage compartment. We're getting one for our Easyfold.

Just got a Como 3.0 step through so we upgraded our old Thule hanging rack to the Kuat NV Base 2.0. Works great so far. My model of Como doesn’t have fenders, so I am able to secure the front wheel at the top without issues. Kuat is actually made here in my town, and they have a great reputation among the local cyclists. May upgrade and get the ramp later but for now, my hubby can lift it no problem.

I also have the Kuat NV 2.0 and use it for a Como 3.0 and 4.0. so far we love it. Very secure. Also thought about the Velcro strap but so far haven't needed it. Likely buy one for longer trips.

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_180459.jpg
    IMG_20200519_180459.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 517
Well, the Kuat Transfer does not work well with the fenders on the Como. I ended up having to put my bicycle inside my car to transfer it from Denver to Durango in Colorado. It will take some modification to the wheel tray to make it work. If I come up with something that works, I’ll post here! I’m so excited to have my new Como though! The 5.0 has the taillight mounted on the fender, which I hadn't seen in any reviews. This is good in my opinion as I plan to add a rear rack.

You may want to look at "1-up bike rack" (do a google search). Very good rack - I have been using it for 5 years with no problems for my pedal bikes. Definitely fits the Como (I am planning on using it with my new low entry Como). Easy on, easy off. Rack secures the bike by the tires.
I have the same rack and the same bike. Love both.

Have the same rack and Como 2.0s, no fenders and works great. Have Vada 5.0s ordered and hoping there will be no fit issues. You have the Trail Doc, how has that worked out? I'm looking for a repair stand and just got off the Kuat site, my inquiry concerning weight gave a 45 lb. max. I'm wondering if this might be an issue...or could one remove the battery to make the weight? Thanks for any info/advice.
I use the Park Tool wall mount bike stand for our Vado 5s. It will hold the bikes in any position with simple levers and clamps. It's rated for 100lb loads. Very nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 000
Back