Carbon handlebars, soften impact on hand/wrists?

irenewg13

Region
USA
City
MadCity, Peoples Republic of Madison
I read that carbon handlebars could assist in minimizing the impact on hands and wrists.

I followed a thread on ERB, regarding the pros and cons of using carbon frames, etc., but, I didn't see my issue addressed.

Feedback, p&ty

Irene

Hello Irene,

I have carbon handlebars and frame on my new bike. My experience is that it helps absorb vibrations when I have the RS-1 fork in locked position.

Erik

I read that carbon handlebars could assist in minimizing the impact on hands and wrists.

I followed a thread on ERB, regarding the pros and cons of using carbon frames, etc., but, I didn't see my issue addressed.

Feedback, p&ty

Irene

Hi Irene,

If I recall correctly you ride an Easy Motion Street with upright riding position and front suspension. You wouldn't get any benefit from carbon handlebars on that bike. Oftentimes discomfort or pain can be attributed to two issues, first is not enough time in the saddle and second is a death grip on the bars.

Time in the saddle can take care of itself, I know for myself after just two days off the bike, I feel different than if I ride everyday or every other day. When I used to take the deep winter months off the bike, that first week riding in the spring was brutal. Your body needs time to acclimate to this new pursuit and it never hurts to do stretching exercises prior to and between riding.

The death grip is done by many cyclists and motorcycle riders and takes a conscious effort to relax while riding. Oftentimes I hook my thumbs on the grips and rest my fingers on the brake levers in an effort to relax my hands. Wrists, arms and shoulders can be a little more difficult with upper body weight resting on them, it takes greater core (stomach muscle) strength to minimize stress to those areas. Again exercise and time in the saddle will help.

Hi Irene,

If I recall correctly you ride an Easy Motion Street with upright riding position and front suspension. You wouldn't get any benefit from carbon handlebars on that bike. Oftentimes discomfort or pain can be attributed to two issues, first is not enough time in the saddle and second is a death grip on the bars.

Time in the saddle can take care of itself, I know for myself after just two days off the bike, I feel different than if I ride everyday or every other day. When I used to take the deep winter months off the bike, that first week riding in the spring was brutal. Your body needs time to acclimate to this new pursuit and it never hurts to do stretching exercises prior to and between riding.

The death grip is done by many cyclists and motorcycle riders and takes a conscious effort to relax while riding. Oftentimes I hook my thumbs on the grips and rest my fingers on the brake levers in an effort to relax my hands. Wrists, arms and shoulders can be a little more difficult with upper body weight resting on them, it takes greater core (stomach muscle) strength to minimize stress to those areas. Again exercise and time in the saddle will help.
Erik, J.R., and JoePah,
Thank you for your comments, I appreciate getting feedback. I have arthritis in my hands and spine, and an old rotator cuff tear. (Thrill of victory, agony of defeat... if any of you remember) am getting a twist gear, seat post suspension, and good Ergon grips. While reading about grips, I did read about the "death grip". That's when I came across the info about carbon handlebars helping minimize the vibration, and impact from rough pavement. I will post the url from the info.

Easy Rider

I wear fingerless cycling gloves with that integrated elastomer gel on the palms. I purchased mine at a local store (Specialized brand). It definitely helps.

Padded gloves and foremost Ergo grips will make all the differecents in your ride. Handlebars have to be stiff for a reason wether steel or carbon for a reason and will not provide much relieve on a hard ride. Count on gloves but first of all grips to provide added comfort.

Thanks again, I appreciate your words of wisdom.

I also need to adjust my handlebars. They adjust very quickly, and easily, up and back.
The Ergo grips and Pearl Izumi gel gloves, should be very nice.
I had read an article about the carbon handlebars, and was curious about what you all had to say about it.
:cool:

Cyclists have a lot to say about carbon, carbon, carbon.... and more....:p

Love my P.I. gloves, especially my winter gauntlet pair.

Lollllllll and I'm new! I will NEVER say the word carbon, again. Little did I know :eek:

Back