Carbo Model X Review - 250w, Lightweight, Folding, Carbon Fiber Ebike

Hacklemedia

Hey, everyone!

Today we are looking at the Carbo Model X! It is a 250w, 36V, carbon fiber, folding Ebike. This thing is extremely light! We had a blast riding it around and we'd like to invite you along for the ride!

My wife's bike is a 2022 Model X.

The bike does, once properly assembled, work as advertised and reviewed previously.

The company and design are Canadian/North American and the frame is made from Japanese carbon.

But be advised and forewarned that (A) the bikes are manufactured in and shipped from China; (B) Pricing and billing is denominated in $US and then converted to one's local currency; and (C) the people involved in technical support appear to be located somewhere else on the globe.

So, here are a few comments based on our recent experience:

First, Product Delivery: Take any advertised delivery time with a large grain of salt and expect a long delay between when you pay and when the bike arrives on your doorstep. (My wife's took four months.)

Second, Quality Control: Although quality is a selling point on these bikes, QC can be a significant issue. In practice, QC is limited to checking whether all parts appear to be in place and in the box, not whether the bike will function properly when delivered to the buyer. (My wife's bike arrived with a misfitted male plug at a critical connection and so was inoperative until Carbo's Support shipped a correct connector.)

Third, Technical Support (1): Carbo support staff are responsive and do try to be helpful. Unfortunately, the only way to contact them is by messaging. And the only way to get actual technical support is by going into your account and opening a support ticket.

There are unavoidable delays built into that process. As well, it is excessively bureaucratic.

When you are sitting in front of a problem created by an instance of poor manufacturer quality control you do not want to be told that someone will get back to you "as soon as possible". Then you have to wait around for an indeterminate length of time for an email to tell you that there is an answer on your support ticket. Then you have to go into your account to find out what the response is. And then you have to repeat that process for every step of getting the problem fixed.

Absorbing the extra cost of having technical support that is able to take a telephone call, or to call back, should be part of the overhead for a company concerned about its customer base and its 'community".

Fourth, Bike Assembly: Be aware that this is something you have to do when the box arrives on your doorstep. It is not 'ready to run".

Assembly of the bike after delivery to one's home is, in fact, really quite easy for mechanically and electrically/electronically adept people. Assembly instructions are made available on line. But once again, for us analog types, is the cost of an Ikea-type assembly booklet really so exorbitant to produce and include in the box? After all this is a USD$3,000/CAD$4000 item!

If you are not technically adept, get a friend who is to help. Or, in a pinch, arrange for a local bike shop to put it together and check it out for you. That may save you aggravation and frustration. Who knows, that shop may decide to become a dealer and be able to offer continuing local service.

Fifth, Technical support (2): The company has lots of very useful technical videos that are very helpful. And the support person with whom I was in contact was exceedingly polite, personable and helpful to the very maximum extent he was able to be.

The company's default Technical Support approach, however, seems to assume that anyone who needs assembly or technical support is technically inept. That may be the company's overall experience (and is probably justified in many cases).

However, when a customer is technically adept and is dealing with what he/she knows to be an obvious manufacturing issue (i.e., incorrect part installed at factory), it is insulting to be asked to make a video of your trouble shooting process from square one.

Final comment:

In summary, now that we have it up and running, it must be said that this is a good product, ideal for its purpose and generally well engineered. My wife is very pleased with it.

Because of all the problems we had, the company added an additional year on to the bike's warranty. My hope is that we will be able to follow up positively on how the bike performs and stands up over time at some future point.

Back