Car rack--which brand

I bought the 1UP Super Duty Double a couple of years ago and it was the only rack available that would support two 70 lb e-bikes and that was RV rated. That is more than most racks being sold and very few are OK for use on an RV or a trailer. The Kuat Piston Pro X has less of load capacity and sells for twice as much at $1,389 as compared to $700 for the 1UP Super Duty Double rack. Kuat NV 2.0 cost $150 more than the 1UP top of the line rack and weighs more as well.

Lots of racks have been out of stock as they are often made in China, unlike the 1UP racks that are made in the USA. I can carry two mountain bikes or two road bikes with no adjustments needed to the rack. They also have issues as with the Thule in terms of parts failing and having lots of wobble when driving down the road. I read all the reviews I could find for RV rated bike racks including those from Hollywood, Thule, Yakima, Kuat, and Swagman. In terms of most value the Swagman came out on top but it was not available as with the Kuat racks and others so it came down to what I could actually get.

What is great about the 1UP rack is that is supports the weight of the bikes with their tires on the platform and so no issues with a carbon frame bike and damage. A second important feature is that the rack is higher than the hitch receiver and the second bike is higher off the ground than the first and a third rack can be added which is still higher off the ground. I damaged the chainring on a road bike when it hit the ground on a steep hill in San Francisco. It was hanging down from a conventional bike rack.

Is the 1UP rack perfect - of course not. But it is better for my needs than any other rack available at any price. But then when I encounter a shortcoming I deal with it. The loading ramp from 1UP is a weak aspect and with our two 70 lb e-bikes I resorted to modifying a motorcycle rack. I sold the two 70 lb e-bikes and bought two 28 lb e-bikes and this was an improvement in many ways.

For any vehicle with limited ground clearance at the rear bumper a hitch receiver mounted platform rack will work the best and this is one aspect of the 1Up racks where their design excels.

Back