Car bike rack

Saris Freedom 2 = $299 US.
1557166690760.png

Same as what I use for the Vado 6.0. The Saris Freedom 2 is under 30 lbs so it's possible for me to attach it to the vehicle without assistance. It came with a frame holder for the mid section of the bike frame but didn't fit on the fat battery area. I simply bungee the heck out of it.
There's another Saris rack on the market that clamps down on both tires but my bike has fenders so not workable. You may be in different situation.

Same as what I use for the Vado 6.0. The Saris Freedom 2 is under 30 lbs so it's possible for me to attach it to the vehicle without assistance. It came with a frame holder for the mid section of the bike frame but didn't fit on the fat battery area. I simply bungee the heck out of it.
There's another Saris rack on the market that clamps down on both tires but my bike has fenders so not workable. You may be in different situation.
Yes I recommend it highly. You cannot see very well in the pic but my wife has the Trek Powerfly which also has the fat down tube but I simply slid the frame holder to fit the lowest part of the top tube instead. In Marci Jo,s case I think there is no top tube though there is a tube running parallel to and above the fat tube which is sort of a top tube. Also I found it more convenient to switch the foot cups around so that both bikes face the same way. Once you get it the way you like, it is a snap to use. Made in USA too.

Last edited:
THANK YOU!!!!

Any rack that works with a vehicle (Toyota RAV4) with the spare tire at the back?

I just ordered this. It has yet to come but has really good reviews. it clamps on the frame instead of the tires and it has a crossbar attachment if you have a step-thru. Reason i got it is because it folds up as well folds away from the vehicle so you can open your hatch/trunk when the bikes are on.

Any rack that works with a vehicle (Toyota RAV4) with the spare tire at the back?

Onlineaddy; the company etrailer.com carries all sorts of racks for a huge variety of vehicles from sedans to pickups. I would suspect they would have info on your RAV4 with the tire. I have contacted them and they volunteered lots of info.

Onlineaddy; the company etrailer.com carries all sorts of racks for a huge variety of vehicles from sedans to pickups. I would suspect they would have info on your RAV4 with the tire. I have contacted them and they volunteered lots of info.

Thanks for that, Marci. I wasn't even aware of these spare tire mount bike racks:

https://www.etrailer.com/sparerack-2006_Toyota_RAV4.htm

I wonder if that's a safe mounting solution for heavy ebikes.

Thanks for that, Marci. I wasn't even aware of these spare tire mount bike racks:

https://www.etrailer.com/sparerack-2006_Toyota_RAV4.htm

I wonder if that's a safe mounting solution for heavy ebikes.

In my opinion the Spare Tire Mount Bike Rack is NOT suited for e-Bikes, even though it is rated for 75 pounds total. Check out
video etrailer.com com provides showing the movement of a traditional road bike while mounted on a rack on a moving vehicle.

In my opinion the Spare Tire Mount Bike Rack is NOT suited for e-Bikes, even though it is rated for 75 pounds total. Check out
video etrailer.com com provides showing the movement of a traditional road bike while mounted on a rack on a moving vehicle.

That is my concern. Are there alternative hitch mount racks that work around the spare tire and allow side opening of the hatch door?

That is my concern. Are there alternative hitch mount racks that work around the spare tire and allow side opening of the hatch door?

The Rocky Mounts Back Stage will work. I works on a Jeep Wrangler with the spare. You will need an extension. It will hold two fat tired e-bikes. It comes with locks. I have one I use on a Wrangle and Grand Cherokee. It is expensive shop around for sales.

The Rocky Mounts Back Stage will work. I works on a Jeep Wrangler with the spare. You will need an extension. It will hold two fat tired e-bikes. It comes with locks. I have one I use on a Wrangle and Grand Cherokee. It is expensive shop around for sales.

Thanks for the rec, Mike. Do you think it'll be able to swing up and away when no bike is mounted, or will my spare tire get in the way?

I just ordered this. It has yet to come but has really good reviews. it clamps on the frame instead of the tires and it has a crossbar attachment if you have a step-thru. Reason i got it is because it folds up as well folds away from the vehicle so you can open your hatch/trunk when the bikes are on.
So I ended up installing this yesterday and it is great. Installation took like 20 minutes. It folds up, folds back so you can open the trunk, hatch. I like that it has attachments for fat wheels if you ever get a bike with 4" tires as well. Overall great, solid product.

There is very little info on this rack. Doesn't show how much weight it supports which is the most important thing for ebikes.
I haul both my ebikes (55 pounds each) with the rack with no wobble, this rack is built very well without a doubt

Back