Car bike rack

I ordered a Hollywood HD Sport Rider SE 2-place rack as mentioned here a few times, and while a nice rack, I thought it was super heavy and I really didn't like the hold down hook grabbing the frame, and didn't want the frame rubbing and resultant eventual scratches / polishing of the matte paint on my RipCurrent S.

So I returned it on my shipping dime and bought a 1up, which I like because it is all aluminum (way lighter), doesn't touch the frame (Hollywood) or forks (Kuat 2.0, Thule) while you're bouncing down the highway.

Also it is modular, so you don't have to have the 2nd bike section on it if you only need it to carry one bike usually (have to buy the single + additional for the modular, if you buy the 2 place you can't separate the two).

The super duty version is good for 75 lb. bikes.

Super easy to load / unload - watch the video. Great reviews around the web, but I haven't actually gotten it yet so this is all from my research so no actual use yet. Can report back next week if anybody has questions.

Good 'ole straight up practical engineering - no fancy logos or cool curves.

https://www.1up-usa.com/

Last edited:
I have a new 1up arriving today from FedEx, after a failure of my current rack. I’ll take some pictures of the install process. I’ve seen several of these around over the past year, and they really do look to be next level design. We’ll see how it all turns out.

Okay sport fans, as promised in our last exciting episode:

IMG_1976.jpg

Small box, very neatly organized.

IMG_1977.jpg

Unfolded and went on car very quickly. I can tuck it in quite close to the back of the car without impeding the trunk, although there are different vertical settings you can use also to move it away from a hatchback

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

Voila!

IMG_1982.jpg

Very nicely made in aluminum. It took me longer to cut up the box for the recycle can than it did to open the box, figure it out, and install the whole thing. Very clear instructions. Happy camper!

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 8
Okay sport fans, as promised in our last exciting episode:

View attachment 33081

Small box, very neatly organized.

View attachment 33082

Unfolded and went on car very quickly. I can tuck it in quite close to the back of the car without impeding the trunk, although there are different vertical settings you can use also to move it away from a hatchback

View attachment 33083

View attachment 33084

Voila!

View attachment 33086

Very nicely made in aluminum. It took me longer to cut up the box for the recycle can than it did to open the box, figure it out, and install the whole thing. Very clear instructions. Happy camper!

Thanks for posting.

Looking forward to mine arriving next week.

I did see a very good YouTube video on this by a firefighter who suggests keep the box for off season storage. Forgot about that!

And I would not transport it with those panniers grabbing the wind... shot was just to show how it all ends up. I will also be spending another twenty bucks for the pin locks that go across the wheels for security. I never leave it out on the rack, but they seem like excellent fail safes for the bike trying to jump off itself.

I’ll post more pics of that stuff when I get it, along with some opinions after using it a while.

So mine showed up today - FedEx tracking they sent said Tuesday next week - so it showed up on a Saturday, 2 days after ordering. Nice.

Easy to set up as @Saratoga Dave mentioned - longest part was putting the spacer kit in that I needed for fat tires on one bike space (which wasn't a big deal at all). The rack is basically ready to use right out of the (small) box.

Much lighter than the Hollywood steel rack, and much more compact and less cumbersome to move / store, and looks much less obtrusive on the vehicle w/ no bike on it as well.

Nothing comes in contact with anything on the bike but the tires, so no possibility of collateral damage to the bike from using the rack.

So all good as far as I can tell. It's a little pricey I guess, but my back is telling me I made the right call.

Same as what I use for the Vado 6.0. The Saris Freedom 2 is under 30 lbs so it's possible for me to attach it to the vehicle without assistance. It came with a frame holder for the mid section of the bike frame but didn't fit on the fat battery area. I simply bungee the heck out of it.
There's another Saris rack on the market that clamps down on both tires but my bike has fenders so not workable. You may be in different situation.
Hi
Can you post a picture with your bikes on the rack. I also have a Saris Freedom 2. Was unable to get a Bulls Lacuba E45 S to fit on the rack the mid motor was not clearing the frame holder we tried everything at the E bike dealers with no luck but the motor was up against the frame holder so had to cancel the purchase. Then went to my local bike shop to seek some help they are going to switch out the frame holder with two clamps have also got a Specialized Vado 3.0 ordered from Specialized which will be delivered tomorrow.

Hi
Can you post a picture with your bikes on the rack. I also have a Saris Freedom 2. Was unable to get a Bulls Lacuba E45 S to fit on the rack the mid motor was not clearing the frame holder we tried everything at the E bike dealers with no luck but the motor was up against the frame holder so had to cancel the purchase. Then went to my local bike shop to seek some help they are going to switch out the frame holder with two clamps have also got a Specialized Vado 3.0 ordered from Specialized which will be delivered tomorrow.

Larry Nigro; Are you referring to the clamp on the vertical post of the Saris Freedom 2? I ended up removing those clamps and simply bungee the bike frame to that vertical post. My Vado has a mid-step frame and also the down tube is very fat in order to encase the battery. As a result the padded clamps on the vertical post didn't even come close to fitting on the not-normal frame of the Vado. Bungees work great.
I will get a photo in a few days.

Thanks for the reply no rush on the photo. My problem with the Bulls bike was that the bottom bracket area had no clearance from the vertical post. We had the bike up on the rack with the wheels in the cups but had at the most a hair of clearance with the post. The funny part was that I took my bungees with me when I went to buy the bike we never thought off taking off the padded clamps. If we had I would have had to put some padding in the area of the bottom bracket. Lets see if the clamps work that my bike shop has on order. My 2020 Specialized Vado 3.0 is out for delivery today.

Larry Nigro; Are you referring to the clamp on the vertical post of the Saris Freedom 2? I ended up removing those clamps and simply bungee the bike frame to that vertical post. My Vado has a mid-step frame and also the down tube is very fat in order to encase the battery. As a result the padded clamps on the vertical post didn't even come close to fitting on the not-normal frame of the Vado. Bungees work great.
I will get a photo in a few days.

Picked up my bike today. Heres what I did to the rack before I picked up the bike. I removed the clamp from the back position on the vertical post. I then went to Home Depot and bought a length of 1 inch pipe insulation you will see this on the photos. I Wanted to put the bike on the inside position of the rack. Was able to pick up the bike today it fit perfectly. Used bungee cords to also secure it. Actually the straps on the rims really secure the bike. The pipe insulation prevents the bike from being scratched.

Attachments

• IMG_0773 2.JPG
    IMG_0773 2.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_0774 2.JPG
    IMG_0774 2.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_0775 2.JPG
    IMG_0775 2.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 810
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 824
  • IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 805
  • IMG_0777 2.JPG
    IMG_0777 2.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 782
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_0779 2.JPG
    IMG_0779 2.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_0780 2.JPG
    IMG_0780 2.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 752
I did see a very good YouTube video on this by a firefighter who suggests keep the box for off season storage. Forgot about that!

And I would not transport it with those panniers grabbing the wind... shot was just to show how it all ends up. I will also be spending another twenty bucks for the pin locks that go across the wheels for security. I never leave it out on the rack, but they seem like excellent fail safes for the bike trying to jump off itself.

I’ll post more pics of that stuff when I get it, along with some opinions after using it a while.

I placed an order for the 1up USA bike rack on Monday night June 3rd and received it on Friday June 7.
I have been using almost daily since the day it was delivered and couldn't be happier!
I have owned many carriers over the years and this is by far the best for a bike without fenders. Since I usually ride alone I purchased a single tray with an add on tray and its the best set up for me. You can carry up to three 50 lb. bikes with the 1 1/4" hitch and more weight with the super duty 2" hitch.

Picked up my bike today. Heres what I did to the rack before I picked up the bike. I removed the clamp from the back position on the vertical post. I then went to Home Depot and bought a length of 1 inch pipe insulation you will see this on the photos. I Wanted to put the bike on the inside position of the rack. Was able to pick up the bike today it fit perfectly. Used bungee cords to also secure it. Actually the straps on the rims really secure the bike. The pipe insulation prevents the bike from being scratched.

That pipe insulation is nice idea for protecting the paint.
That’s a really pretty bike too!

That pipe insulation is nice idea for protecting the paint.
That’s a really pretty bike too!
Thanks. It was your original suggestion that made it happen. Yes the pipe insulation really protects the bike. First ride happens today.

Back