Can't get tire off wheel

bikeman242

Have a 27.5" x 2.8" MTB tire - Schwalbe nobby nics.

Went to change the tube and it took hours and was incredibly difficult. Pushing the bead towards the center of the rim to get it on and off required great strength and was almost impossible. Getting the tire back on was almost as difficult. So much rubber and a thick bead on these plus size tires.

Ordered a tire seating tool, but it was useless. Just have the pedro tire levers.

Any other tools or techniques to make the job easier? I would have a problem if I had to change the tube on the trail.

Thanks

I have the same tires. I use 2 levers with the tire standing up right. Not laying flat. For some reason, working the bead with it laying flat is near impossible. Standing up is a piece of cake.

I use the stand up method as well. This way when you move the tire bead to the center of the rim at the bottom, it stays there and you can sort of work your way out from there in both directions.

I like a tire lever to help get the bead off on the first side, but from there it's all done mostly with just my fingers. If I get a really stubborn one (rare) I'll use a little lube (something that will evaporate, like Windex) to give me a hand.

If the tube has a little too much air left in it, that could cause some extra trouble getting the bead to stay in the middle while taking the tire off. For that reason the valve core is generally left out until it's being reinstalled.

And yes, I've done a couple of sets of 27.5x2.8" Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires, as well as their little brothers in 27.5x2.4".

On getting the tire back on, one trick that often works is to squeeze the two beads of the tire together on the opposite side from where you are trying to get the bead over the rim, and push those two beads to the opposite side before pushing the bead over the rim. This works for me 99 percent of the time.

The only challenge after that is getting the bead set again.

Back