Can One order Garmin Varias on 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0?

BigJ

Region
USA
I just placed a deposit on a Turbo Vado 4.0 as a gift for my partner. I also recently purchased a Vado 5.0 for myself, which comes with the Garmin Varia. I am favorably impressed with Varia on my Vado 5.0, and would like to have the same system added to the Vado 4.0 I will be giving as a gif. I do not see the Garmin Varia as an item to purchase on the specialized website. So, does anyone know if it is possible to add the Garmin Varia to a new 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0?

It can be added to any bike, though you would need to connect to either a phone or a computer. I don’t know if it can be paired with the Vado’s TCD. There are a variety of mounts available, so it can be installed on a seat, a seatpost, a rear rack, or even many bags.

I bought the taillight version, and paired it with a Wahoo Roam. It works very well.

I can confirm that the Mastermind TCD allows the connection of a wireless Radar, such as the one rayray posted. The basic one I believe requires wiring/is not wireless, and I'm not sure if there is additional wiring underneath to provide support to it. The Mastermind will also display the dots like the 5.0.
Yikes, I just looked up the compatibility, and it's even listed on their watches! (now I kind of want one even more).

Last edited:
Thank you all for the comments and ideas. I appreciate your efforts to share your knowledge and insights. As I am sure you all know, not all forums are created equal. EBR forum is setting the bar high.

In responds to the information you all have provided. I’m am stoked to know there is a wireless option, it pairs with the Mastermind, AND provides the white dots on the screen! All of that being said, I am also attracted to the fully integrated Varia with power provided via ebike battery. On demand is simple and always available. I know my partner will appreciate the simplicity, as she is a no frills kind of girl. I will reach out to my LBS and see if they can prob the Specialized Wiki, if you will, and report back with any information found.

May your coffee be delicious, and each pedal stroke be joy filled. Cheers!

Thank you all for the comments and ideas. I appreciate your efforts to share your knowledge and insights. As I am sure you all know, not all forums are created equal. EBR forum is setting the bar high.

In responds to the information you all have provided. I’m am stoked to know there is a wireless option, it pairs with the Mastermind, AND provides the white dots on the screen! All of that being said, I am also attracted to the fully integrated Varia with power provided via ebike battery. On demand is simple and always available. I know my partner will appreciate the simplicity, as she is a no frills kind of girl. I will reach out to my LBS and see if they can prob the Specialized Wiki, if you will, and report back with any information found.

May your coffee be delicious, and each pedal stroke be joy filled. Cheers!
Keep us posted on your experience. I would prefer to do something more natural mounting like on the 5.0, but it's tough to find the perfect spot on my 4.0 with the integrated led tail light. I think I might have to go for a saddle bag to have something to affix it to. I believe you might run into a similar issue if you attempt to use the OEM routing, but hopefully they can figure out something professional. It would be perfect if it would be acceptable to mount it sideways, but I don't see that being possible according to other items I've looked into about the devices themselves.

Enjoy!

@BigJ: It will work.

1662917895912.png

Thanks for the video, Stefan. Now I’m curious how often the radar needs to be charged, being that it’s wireless. Would still prefer the integrated system. One less bottom to push, and one less thing to charge.
I get maybe 100 miles out of it if you don't need the flash then even more,

If wireless is the only option. I will purchase the RVR315, which has no light, as the bike comes equipped with the MIK HD rear rack with integrated tail light. So, maybe the RVR315 has more run time.
ya I like the light though as backup.

If wireless is the only option. I will purchase the RVR315, which has no light, as the bike comes equipped with the MIK HD rear rack with integrated tail light. So, maybe the RVR315 has more run time.

the integrated light of the varia is a huge part of the safety benefit though - the flashing changes frequency as a car approaches.

it would be fantastic to be able to add the internally wired / integrated varia to various specialized bikes.

the integrated light of the varia is a huge part of the safety benefit though - the flashing changes frequency as a car approaches.

it would be fantastic to be able to add the internally wired / integrated varia to various specialized bikes.
You make a great point, and we already own two Light&Motion VIZ180 taillights, and two VIS360 helmet mounted headlight/taillight combos. So, we are not lacking in the “please see me” lights department. Hints the reason I really don’t want another device to charge.

Last edited:
it’s also worth noting that while you can get the varia radar display overlay on apps like cyclemeter and cadence, mission control does not support it yet. when I mentioned this to rider care, they said “that’s a great idea!!”

kind of lame they’d sell the bike with the radar integrated but not supported by their own dashboard software lol.

it’s also worth noting that while you can get the varia radar display overlay on apps like cyclemeter and cadence, mission control does not support it yet. when I mentioned this to rider care, they said “that’s a great idea!!”

kind of lame they’d sell the bike with the radar integrated but not supported by their own dashboard software lol.
Watch the video in post #7.... they may have taken heed of your idea?

It can be added to any bike, though you would need to connect to either a phone or a computer. I don’t know if it can be paired with the Vado’s TCD. There are a variety of mounts available, so it can be installed on a seat, a seatpost, a rear rack, or even many bags.

I bought the taillight version, and paired it with a Wahoo Roam. It works very well.

It can - I have my RTL515 paired to my Vado 4.0 TCD. Works great.

I removed the reflector from the mount below the rack and attached a seat-rail Varia mount to the bracket. See my post here.

I've since trimmed the mount, and drilled a hole through the bracket for the center screw. I'll have new pictures in a few days when I finish up my fender mods.

What are you hoping for from having it connected to Mission Control that isn't already achieved with the TCD?

I just placed a deposit on a Turbo Vado 4.0 as a gift for my partner. I also recently purchased a Vado 5.0 for myself, which comes with the Garmin Varia. I am favorably impressed with Varia on my Vado 5.0, and would like to have the same system added to the Vado 4.0 I will be giving as a gif. I do not see the Garmin Varia as an item to purchase on the specialized website. So, does anyone know if it is possible to add the Garmin Varia to a new 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0?
I finally received feedback from my LBS about the hardwire Varia option from Specialized. Specialized is releasing a hardwire Varia option (@$230), which will be available in May 2023. The Specialized rep also stated the hardwire version will also require and adapter, which is an additional cost. All of that being said, I purchased a wireless Varia RVR315 (with damage to the packaging) for $89. Cheers!

A hard wired Varia would be nice to have that just turns on with the bike. It would be more discrete than pushing buttons all over the bike to start up the various electronics and lights. I find on longer rides out with a group I run out of charge so I sometimes carry two. The battery versions seemed to be designed for someone who can complete a 60 mile ride in three hours or so.

A hard wired Varia would be nice to have that just turns on with the bike. It would be more discrete than pushing buttons all over the bike to start up the various electronics and lights. I find on longer rides out with a group I run out of charge so I sometimes carry two. The battery versions seemed to be designed for someone who can complete a 60 mile ride in three hours or so.
I totally agree, and may end up going with the hardwire version at some point. It is nice to know that Specialized is indeed releasing this version. In the interim the Bluetooth version will due.

I totally agree, and may end up going with the hardwire version at some point. It is nice to know that Specialized is indeed releasing this version. In the interim the Bluetooth version will due.
that bad part can see is if you have a garmin that its connected to and use the garmin on different bikes its going to be a pain. you would have to disable the radar or the garmin will sometimes loose the connection if it gets disconnected often.

Back