Can not recommend Himiway due to post-sale support and service

sedohr

I had two issues with my purchase of the Himiway Cruiser.

1. I was charged an International bank fee (Bank of America’s) of $40.47.I was unhappy that the website did not inform me that the bank transaction was handled by an off-shore bank and I might be charged a fee. Grace in service was quick to reply but never addressed my bank fee issue with any type of monetary compensation. She did ask me if I would review my Himiway Cruiser with other RVrs (I am a full time traveler) and that she would send me a hat.

2. The derailleur seems to need a tune up. I cannot shift from 2nd gear to 1st without the chain popping off either the back cog or the front crank sprocket OR at times the chain going to the top rear sprocket (1st gear) when the shifter is in 2nd gear. I had to work directly with the factory in China with a gentleman whom I don’t think understood my problem. After 23 emails, pictures, and numerous requests by me to have a local bike shop Fix the problem under Himiway’s warranty plan and Ken continuing to send me the same two videos saying one of them should address my “simple fix”, I gave up.

I’ve decided that I am going to pay out of my own pocket to have a bike shop tune the shifting system so that I can hopefully ride my new bike. After 4 hours of trying to adjust things and probably 6 hours or more of internet research, I suspect there might be other issues with a component or some type of damage during shipment.

In my experience 1) Himiway’s 2-year warranty is of absolutely no use to me based on how this warranty issue was handled, 2) Himiway does not seem committed to having a happy customer’s experience no matter the issue (all my correspondences were respectful) and 3) a US customer should NOT have to communicate directly with a person at the Chinese factory about a technical issue when that person in China does not appear (in my opinion) to have good command of the English language. I don’t believe Ken ever really understood my problem based on his responses to my emails.

I will add a post when I get the bike on the road along with my out of pocket expenses.

I debated on two companies to do business with. I should have gone with the Rad Rover.

Checked their website, their home page shows a gentleman pushing his bike in the mountains...I prefer to ride mine lol

Derailleur adjustment should be covered under warranty? Anything cable activated can require attention over the entire life of any bike. Just day to day maintenance.

Last edited:
Derailleur adjustment should be covered under warranty? Anything cable activated can require attention over the entire life of any bike. Just day to day maintenance.

I asked at least 3 times during the email conversations for me to take bike to a local bike shop under Himiway's warranty repair. Each time I was either ignored or told it's a "simple fix."

The language barrier is huge! My initial email said the problem was shifting from 2nd down to 1st gear. I was sent a video showing how to downshift the shifter from 7th to 1st. Seriously, the mechanical process of HOW to shift gears by pressing the downshift lever on the handlebar.

The bad news? The gentleman over in China (Ken) that sent me that response is THE post sales service mgr that ALL issues must go through.

This has honestly been one of my most frustrating experiences because there is no one stateside that can handle my issue, nor, it appears, anyone that can even understand what I am writing.

Live and learn.

There is a constant discussion with ebike purchases. Should I spend extra to buy at a local shop or dealership, or save a bunch of money with internet purchase? For anyone with bicycle mechanic skills, it's an easy decision. If it was a financial requirement for you, you will still be ahead of a dealer bike. On the downside, you had the impression that all internet dealers will handle all the problems easily. That's just not the reality, never was with eBikes. Some companies are just there to sell bikes, period. Too many service issues and they close up shop, change the name of the bike, and start again. Luckily for you it's a simple fix. I would be worried about electrical component life. With this little experience, I sure hope the major parts keep running!

China importers are looking to SELL bikes - not fix them. They are not going to be willing to pay for after-delivery repairs. Period.

I felt fortunate that my kit dealer from China - Greenergia - honored warranty to fix the failed Bafang hub, but it took 5 weeks. In the meantime we bought a 'factory' bike from a well known dealer. (Giant)

Yes, I clearly made a mistake on this one; my first eBike purchase.

I factored in being a full-time RVr and always traveling. I didn't see an advantage in buying through a local shop when I probably wouldn't be in the area very long, and the national brands didn't interest me.

Of course because of the mobility and the need to "carry light" I am also without a proper repair stand for a 70 Lb bike.

Figured the least I could do was share my experience with others who may be enticed by the price. And yes, I should be ahead of local buying even with the out of pocket repair, but this leaves a very sour taste in my mouth - on top of the international bank fee.

Thankfully, the frame looks stout and the welds are really good too. Everything else can be replaced.

With a half dozen bikes in the garage, always have one that doesn't shift perfectly. I have to find instructions though to recall what to do. I think you need to tweak the "L" screw at the end. It sets how far the chain moves toward the wheel.

It's just personal opinion. I feel brake or derailleur adjustments should be in the one month tune-up on a bike purchased at a shop, but it's understood that I am on my own if I buy it online.

Stay well!

With a half dozen bikes in the garage, always have one that doesn't shift perfectly. I have to find instructions though to recall what to do. I think you need to tweak the "L" screw at the end. It sets how far the chain moves toward the wheel.

It's just personal opinion. I feel brake or derailleur adjustments should be in the one month tune-up on a bike purchased at a shop, but it's understood that I am on my own if I buy it online.

Stay well!

don’t disagree IF it’s a simple adjustment. This bike would do 1 of 3 or 4 things when I shift from 2nd to 1st: 1) chain is pushed off of cassette 2) chain stays on - barely 3) chain on crank (only) comes off and occassionaly the shifter would indicate 2nd gear yet chain was on 1st gear sprocket.

my common sense told me this could be more than 1 issue or a defective derailleur. That’s why I started asking for warranty repair and bike checkout.

UPDATE 3/24: bike shop says the derailleur needs “to be straightened and readjusted.” That’s not the way the bike should have left the factory. If damaged in shipping Himiway covers it according to their website.

20-30 bucks to fix.

too bad Himiway didn’t consider the cost of a happy customer vs an unhappy one. Gotta believe it’s well worth the $30 to them ($70 if you incl bank fee reimbursement) to have kept me happy.

Instead, they’ve got a customer very unhappy with their seemingly lack of caring to spend $30 to get a new bike fixed and a customer on the road quickly and smiling at the purchase decision they made.

That’s Himiway’s call...

i’m not going to stand by and just accept a $1400 bike that needs to be fixed in order to ride the thing, and assume it’s normal and okay.

We’re not talking about a $400 bike here.

I’m very concerned if a major component goes out during the 2-year warranty period. They don’t seem to have anyone at the factory that can communicate with the customer, in english, and on a technical level.

as one poster above said, Himiway is in the business to sell bikes not fix them. I believe it now.

I also believe that kind of attitude in a US market that is growing rapidly will get them swallowed up... unless they make service and support their #1 priority.

Of course because of the mobility and the need to "carry light" I am also without a proper repair stand for a 70 Lb bike.
You might want to look at the Handlebar Jack, a couple of jack stands for the handlebar that seem to be pretty handy for a heavy e-bike, and perfect for light weight kit. Does not replace a full stand, but seems great for regular maintenance. Brilliant idea, I'm quite impressed, but have not had to put them into action out on the trail.

Yes! Thanks! I have them on pre-order. About an 8 week wait.

Thank you though for mentioning to me. Appreciate it.

I'm also going to see if I can do anything creative with my bike rack for a repair stand since it's a heavy duty dual carrier and I have just the one bike. Should be in the end of this week.

don’t disagree IF it’s a simple adjustment. This bike would do 1 of 3 or 4 things when I shift from 2nd to 1st: 1) chain is pushed off of cassette 2) chain stays on - barely 3) chain on crank (only) comes off and occassionaly the shifter would indicate 2nd gear yet chain was on 1st gear sprocket.

my common sense told me this could be more than 1 issue or a defective derailleur. That’s why I started asking for warranty repair and bike checkout.

UPDATE 3/24: bike shop says the derailleur needs “to be straightened and readjusted.” That’s not the way the bike should have left the factory. If damaged in shipping Himiway covers it according to their website.

20-30 bucks to fix.

too bad Himiway didn’t consider the cost of a happy customer vs an unhappy one. Gotta believe it’s well worth the $30 to them ($70 if you incl bank fee reimbursement) to have kept me happy.

Instead, they’ve got a customer very unhappy with their seemingly lack of caring to spend $30 to get a new bike fixed and a customer on the road quickly and smiling at the purchase decision they made.

That’s Himiway’s call...

i’m not going to stand by and just accept a $1400 bike that needs to be fixed in order to ride the thing, and assume it’s normal and okay.

We’re not talking about a $400 bike here.

I’m very concerned if a major component goes out during the 2-year warranty period. They don’t seem to have anyone at the factory that can communicate with the customer, in english, and on a technical level.

as one poster above said, Himiway is in the business to sell bikes not fix them. I believe it now.

I also believe that kind of attitude in a US market that is growing rapidly will get them swallowed up... unless they make service and support their #1 priority.

It's not a $6,000 eBike either. A $1,400 eBike is near the bottom of the scale. You won't get precision nor quality components at that price. Sometimes you just have to fish or cut bait. You could let this ruin all the fun you could be having, or spend a little money at the LBS and start riding. No idea how many ebikes they must sell in China, but one guy in America with a slightly bent derailleur is not going to ruin them. No matter how many times you complain about it. There are always someone in America looking for a bargain, they'll sell plenty of them here to people who don't do their research.

It's not a $6,000 eBike either. A $1,400 eBike is near the bottom of the scale. You won't get precision nor quality components at that price. Sometimes you just have to fish or cut bait. You could let this ruin all the fun you could be having, or spend a little money at the LBS and start riding. No idea how many ebikes they must sell in China, but one guy in America with a slightly bent derailleur is not going to ruin them. No matter how many times you complain about it. There are always someone in America looking for a bargain, they'll sell plenty of them here to people who don't do their research.

had you taken the time to read my full post, sir, you would read EXACTLY what I did about it to get up and riding.

And now, instead of just accepting this as normal from a company doing business in the US I’m gonna let other’s know about my experience. Something I would hope others would do as well...

We used to take on a responsibility to look out for each other in this country - cheap Chinese goods or not. I’d like to believe I’m living up to my charter as an American.

if there are those out there who feel I am wasting my time and should only care about myself... well, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

at 61 years old I kinda like I’m taking the time to 1) educate others as to my experience 2) NOT accept crappy service as normal in this global economy just because everybody’s doin it, and 3) I’ll stand up every time to a company, especially in this country, who think they can promise the world and then not deliver.

perhaps I’m a small pebble in a large ocean but at least I’m throwing my pebble in, instead of looking at it and justifying why I won’t pick it up.

I’m not expecting $6000 quality, I’m expecting decent, entry level quality to WORK correctly on what I consider my entry level eBike and not be DOA and just accept it.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.

At first blush your OP sounded a little nitpicky but I probably would have been miffed too if I had been zinged with a foreign transaction fee on a site that looks like a domestic website pricing in dollars, particularly if Himiway or paypal never disclose they are charging you in another currency as you point out. That said these fees are completely baseless to begin with so be sure to express your displeasure with your credit card company for allowing it to be charged! FWIW, my BoA Travel Rewards card has no foreign transaction fees. I would call them and ask if they can reverse the fee. Many card issuers will do it as a one time courtesy.

As far as the warranty, it's very useful info for prospective customers. I too wonder about how well the "warranty" is for some of these low priced bikes. What you paid is not a lot of money but they should have taken better care of you when it became clear it wasn't just a simple adjustment.

@sedohr

Even with all the problems you've experienced with customer service, I hope you are still enjoying the bike and getting out more. I also have the bike and am enjoying it very much. I hope we can help each other figure out problems together as they arise.

I just put an order for one just the other day, I did not have any foreign transaction fee but I believe my card normally do not charge me foreign transaction fees.

I am so sorry for all of the headaches you have received so far. This is my first ebike and after reading your experience, I am really nervous about this purchase. I am really hoping I do not have these same issues.

Hope I have better luck with my cruiser, just got notified that it is shipping out today via UPS it was ordered on June 1st, I also ordered a pair of those handlebar jack stands from Bolton and recived those within a week or so. On a side note I have had no issues getting ahold of Himiway via emails and I have called them twice in which they did pick up both times so as of now I have a positive outlook at them but time will tell.

Hope I have better luck with my cruiser, just got notified that it is shipping out today via UPS it was ordered on June 1st, I also ordered a pair of those handlebar jack stands from Bolton and recived those within a week or so. On a side note I have had no issues getting ahold of Himiway via emails and I have called them twice in which they did pick up both times so as of now I have a positive outlook at them but time will tell.

No issues after two drop-offs at the bike shop. Just didn’t like the attitude and feeling I was given from support when I KNEW the problem needed professional service.

Would have been nice had they gladly offered to replace the rear tire w/factory (more expensive) one but not a huge deal.
The bike rides great and so far has been reliable. Time will tell.

BTW, yes, stateside (pre-sale) support was wonderful; no issues at all.

IMO they need an English speaking tech on the post side support. One who can talk to me as the customer and then relay back to the factory in China the problem along with suggestions. That should NOT be my job as the customer.

That was the whole issue.... they simply did not understand the technical nature of the problem I was relaying to give a me a quick ‘Go’ to take it to a shop (I sent many photos along with video to show what I was talking about).
Had they done so I would be patting them on the back for how quickly and easily they handled a less then 100% quality bike upon delivery. I understand, mistakes happen.

How a company responds to a mistake defines their reputation.

Happy riding.

Thanks.
I hope mine arrives problem free being there really isn’t any bike shops close to me, there is one 26 miles away who are big on Trek Bikes which I did look at before ordering the Himiway but it was 1000.00 more and peddle assist only and I don’t think that will work too good with my disabilities that’s why I went with assist or battery only bike. In the later 70s and into the 80s I was into biking and have built two bikes from frame up with mostly Comp parts so working on a bike is not a issue with me if I can get parts sent out to me being now I live rural out in the sticks as they say.
Seems like for the most part folks are happy with their Himiway bikes from all the reading I have done plus I like the looks and price of it, time will tell. I will be doing a review on mine after a few weeks of riding and that will probably say it all, hopefully I don’t have to find out how bad or good their after sales customer service is.

I purchased a pair of Himiway Cruisers in April; received the first one in May and immediately found that the battery would not accept a charge. Contacted their Service Dept by phone only to be told to email to “Ken” at Customer Service. Long story - short, over 3 weeks later a replacement battery arrived. The second bike arrived in the meantime but with no attachment screws. Needed a couple of weeks to get those screws so we could use the second bike. I used the first bike on a couple of local rides to get used to it. A few days later I went on an 8 mile ride and loved the bike, but the next ride of less than 20 miles ended part way when the bike quit running on the way home. Contacted “Ken” again and a protracted process of testing and videos to Ken were performed before a new controller was offered. It took a few weeks to get that part, only to find it didn’t solve the problem, and a replacement motor was offered. It was going to be up to me to disassemble, remove, and install. That was mid-July. It is now early October and no motor! All correspondence from Ken has ceased, and a call to Service says they can’t help and to contact Ken. I’m sorry for the length of this post, but my experience with Himiway Bikes has been terrible. 33 miles total on the bike since May, and a Manufacturer who cannot provide warranty parts for weeks at a time. I hope others will consider carefully when selecting a brand.

PS: Sold the second bike shortly after it arrived since the frame was too tall for my wife to use comfortably.

Back