Bruvvertr2

Region
United Kingdom
Battery:
Lithium Battery Pack
Model : BH1004CR
Rating : 36Vdc,8.8Ah
Charge Rating : 42Vdc,2A

Can I buy a cheap aftermarket ebike charger and use it for my BH Easymotion Evo 27.5 Lite?
Obviously, I'd have to replace the charger plug that inserts into battery with the BH Singatron plug.

Any chance this could be done?
The bike has only done 350 miles and its been in the garage gathering dust for 2yrs.

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

You can if you know for certain that the charger doesn't "talk" to your battery BMS. I'm guessing it's a bad idea and could really be an expensive mistake. What happened to your old charger? With a 2 year storage time on the battery, it could easily be a brick.

Battery:
Lithium Battery Pack
Model : BH1004CR
Rating : 36Vdc,8.8Ah
Charge Rating : 42Vdc,2A

Can I buy a cheap aftermarket ebike charger and use it for my BH Easymotion Evo 27.5 Lite?
Obviously, I'd have to replace the charger plug that inserts into battery with the BH Singatron plug.

Any chance this could be done?
The bike has only done 350 miles and its been in the garage gathering dust for 2yrs.

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards
I read about a year ago that BH reentered the UK.

Possibly Dapu can sell you a charger. They made the system.

I am curious of one thing though, your bike is a 2016 Evo? The 8.8 amp hour battery was phased out with the 2014 Neo. Evo had 12 amp hour.

That's beside the point. You need a 36 volt lithium ion, 2 amp charger. There's no reason another charger cannot work, you just need to know what (I think its 5) wires do what. I don't have a wiring diagram for that. You could damage the pack. You said in your other post the battery has been sitting for 2 years, it might be done. Probably is done if it's a 2014 8.8 Neo pack.

Tom is right, the charger has 3 pins. The battery has 5 where it connects to the bike.

Best I have, it does show + & -

20220912_185422.jpg

The BH Evo 36V charger (above) output lead only has two wires soldered onto the board (+ and -), so I suppose it has no "communication" with the battery. The sticker on the back is incorrect, as there is no NTC-thermistor either (meaning heat sensor). The BMS on the battery merely opens the circuit when it's had enough juice, at around 41,8V in my case.

The thing then to look out for is that the generic charger is meant for a wide range of 42V (36V) e-bikes, and doesn't go too far above the 42V before cutting off even if the BMS fails to cut it.

My original 36V BH charger died, so I ordered an official BH replacement charger from Doctibike.com (France), but I also used the old dead charger's lead to solder a female barrel connector onto it, that came with a generic charger kit that had swappable adapters for various e-bikes. It was from a local big chain store that sells it to use on their e-bikes and others. I've been using the generic at work and the official charger at home for a few months now no problem. The replacement BH charger was 160 eur with shipping, and the generic charger was 55e with shipping.

My local electronics repair shop did the soldering and testing, so it's got proper insulation and strain relief etc.

Generic charger sold as "GZR 4-in-1" (SANS SSLC084V42J) with donor BH Singatron 3-pin plug (and battery adapter pigtail) soldered onto a barrel connector (just skip the barrel connector and solder straight to the output of the generic charger, as the barrel connector can cause some heat lossess even at ~2A):
pIMG_8002.jpg

Underside of the generic charger SANS SSLC084V42J (above) I've been using for a few months as a second charger (I added the rubber feet stickers):
pIMG_8218.jpg

Official BH replacement from Doctibike.com:
pIMG_8020.jpg

Official BH replacement from Doctibike (the output "36V" is wrong, should be 42V since 36V would only get you to half full battery, but now the NTC is ignored which is correct):
pIMG_8022.jpg

BH old official charger output from PCB, only + and - are connected:
pIMG_7991.jpg

BH old charger circuit board underside:

Attachments

• pIMG_7989.jpg
    pIMG_7989.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
I have a motor scooter that has been sitting in the garage for years and expect it would start right up if I put gasoline in it.
Like it or not these kind of battery, charging issues regarding electric bikes are an issue that needs to be worked out by manufactures to use a standard charging system.
Is it really necessary that so many have to have their own proprietary charging system plugs etc.. Apple comes to mind. That just seems nuts. The whole charging system should be universal. Phones are being encouraged and in some cases required by law to do that. Wouldn't this be nice. You stop at my home and use my charger, cool.
One type plug should fit all. Does a charger really have to talk to a system or is it that some want to just be unique? Hey look at me I am special. I only eat special fuel and it must be served my way or no way.

The whole charging system should be universal.
I can't help but snicker. Nat at you but rather the reality. Don't hold your breath. What "should" be and what "is" are light years apart. If a charger isn't proprietary and doesn't need communication they're just connectors and easily changed.

Last edited:
I'd never depend on just a BMS. Smart chargers are called for, IME and IMNSHO
True, don't just feed 42V to the battery with just any power supply. I don't know if these 36V e-bike chargers are all more or less the same, and if a nominal voltage and amperage match should do for any Wh capacity, or if there's more to consider.

In my experience the official charger and the generic charger that I bought both behave the same, when the charge is low they start off with lots of current and the charger heats up, and towards full they get cooler and cooler as the current drops the more full the battery gets. When they're done, the green light comes on indicating full charge, and I suspect if the blue light comes on (indicating open circuit), either the BMS has cut it off or it has been full for so long that the charger opens the circuit, which would be great to not have it trickle, stop, trickle, stop to infinity should you leave the charger plugged in.

The original 36V BH charger that came with the EVO 2015 bike was made by Modiary, model DZL(M)3710A0:
https://www.elecycles.com/modiary-lithium-battery-e-bike-charger-36v.html
But the PCB says MDA-181-A3, so a variation of this one (they even show the right connector 2CT3016-W03402 as an option): http://www.mdacharger.com/charger36v/88.html

The generic charger I bought from a chain store is a SANS SSLC084V42J, similar to this one and has a more rounded charging led and different casing to the original: https://ebikeupgrade.nl/SANS-Acculader-42v-2A-(2.1-connector)-Vervanging-36v-fietsaccu-sslc084v42

Curiously the original charger DZL(M)3710A0 is listed here as an alternative to SSLC084V42M. This is just a listing offering this charger to people looking for DZL(M)3710A0. In this picture the casing is exactly the same as the DZL(M)3710A0, so it's hard to tell if they're selling DZL(M)3710A0 or SSLC084V42M: https://www.otto.de/p/powersmart-e-...l-m-3710a0-S0M2Y042/#variationId=S0M2Y0425UNE

Direct link to akkugiant.de: https://akkugigant.de/product_info.php/products_id/14361/language/en

Also used on a "Panther e-bike" and sold in the UK here: https://bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/pro...y-charger-type-ed3-3-pin-euro-plug-sslc084v42

Notice that the akkugigant and bankruptbikes chargers have the same casing as the original BH charger (probably just a generic Chinese casing), but the ebikeupgrade.nl has a different casing with a rounded charging led, which is what I bought.

The NEW official replacement BH charger that I got through Doctibike.fr is an High Power Technology Inc. HP1202L3(2A), which if you google it is listed as both for li-ion and lead-acid. Not sold or available anywhere but China. It almost seems BH deliberately chooses cheapo chargers that are impossible to buy in the West, then customizes them with their Singatron plugs.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, so much useful information. I'm wondering if my battery is now dead after 2+yrs of dormancy and not being charged!
Regards

I have an issue with this same battery. It's blinking green all the time and won't charge. I can't solder or do anything like that. Anybody have luck buying something that'll work. Hate to junk the bike. thx!

Attachments

• model dzl (m) 3710A0 ebike charger dad bike.jpeg
    model dzl (m) 3710A0 ebike charger dad bike.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 251
Can you not go back to the LBS where you got the bike from, if bought new. Or a local LBS if got secondhand.

They should be able to test the battery for its condition and advise. If a new battery is required, they should also be able to get an appropriate charger too.

DG…

Back