Camping, Glamping, Bikamping

I'm torn between camping, glamping, and bikamping for my next adventure. Each offers a unique experience, but I'm struggling to decide which one suits me best. Camping brings me closer to nature, but glamping offers those creature comforts I sometimes crave. Then there's bikamping, the perfect blend of cycling and camping, promising adventure on two wheels.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences! Have you tried all three? Which one stole your heart? Any tips for a newbie like me?
For me anyway, it's an age thing. In my younger years, my brother and I would take my 17' boat up along the Erie and Champlain canals in New York. Back then, you could just beach the boat and camp along the shore. Later on, we did some bike camping, particularly on the C&O Canal trail in Maryland. The 150 mile trail has a dozen campsites scattered along it's length.

I never owned an RV, but I borrowed my fathers a few times. Although enjoyable to a point, I found the cost, maintenance, maneuvering, and reservation process of using the rig to be detrimental to the overall experience. I like to just pick up and go when the mood strikes, and there is too much advance prep & planning required with the RV. Good weather is a major factor for biking, and long range weather forecasting can be a problem.

Now, in my later years, I much prefer the creature comforts of a good hotel. I can usually make reservations a day or so in advance, throw my bikes in my truck and go. No worries about heat, cold, bugs, bath & laundry facilities or where my next battery charge is going to be. I select a hotel central to a variety of good riding locations, and use the room as a "base camp". I do occasionally use B&B's along a trail when travelling solely by bike. There are several long trails I ride on a regular basis where this is practical.

Which do I prefer? I liked them all during that particular time in my life. My advice is to try each one, and decide for yourself which you like best. 🙂

I'm an old fart and I still much prefer sleeping in the dirt.

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 6.50.29 AM.png

That's not me, that's Fred Beckey. Probably the greatest mountaineer that ever lived.

Yes - try them all. I have rv’d it, hotel, backpacked, adventure biked, van, car camped, all of it. It’s all fun - it’s all about getting out there for adventure and having fun.
Never let anyone tell you how you’re SUPPOSED to do it!

Back