California E-bike laws, can they be ridden in State Parks?

Rogie

Hello, I live in Northern California and live next to a great walking/hiking/biking trail aptly named Sawyer Camp Trails in the city of San Bruno. I would like to know if any members have ridden their e-bike at this State Park. I am reluctant to take my e-bike here as there is a posted sign at the beginning of the trail that states motorized vehicles are not allowed to be ridden. I tried to research the California E-bike law but it’s not quite clear from what I read so far.

Thank you for reading.

Hello, I live in Northern California and live next to a great walking/hiking/biking trail aptly named Sawyer Camp Trails in the city of San Bruno. I would like to know if any members have ridden their e-bike at this State Park. I am reluctant to take my e-bike here as there is a posted sign at the beginning of the trail that states motorized vehicles are not allowed to be ridden. I tried to research the California E-bike law but it’s not quite clear from what I read so far.

Thank you for reading.

I ride my class 3 ebike anywhere I want in Northern California and no one has ever said anything. I think that no one will ask any questions unless you are running over people.

Screenshot_20200911-081210~2.png

I ride the single track on the Oroville Dam State Park trails. I have discussed e-bikes with the Park Ranger, he was considering getting one. He didn't have a problem with my bike, but if I didn't buy a day pass he would ticket me. Bikes can ride into the park free, but cars have to pay.

Thank you for reading.

Sawyer Camp Trail is a paved trail and it allows Class 1 and Class 2 bikes. My opinion is if you are riding prudently, the maximum capable speed is irrelevant. You can be wreckless at 10mph...

See the chart on Attachment 2 on page 16 for what's allowed in the area.

Just my response regarding whether to ride or not ride. Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer, but if you're riding respectful then there shouldn't be any doubt. Whether there is pedestrian traffic or other bicyclist on the path of travel. Everyone proceeds with caution and proper etiquette and you should be good.

I don't get the Type 2 ebike on the chart, it says not pedal operated. Are they referring to when you just use throttle?

When I see "no motorized vehicle" signs, I think they are referring to gas motors... as those signs were up long before ebikes became more popular. In one trail in SoCal, I actually saw a new sign that said "no ebikes"... but I also saw people on that trail riding them. :)

The waters are muddied to say the least. Except for signs that explicitly disallow ebikes, it is open to interpretation. You also need enforcement, and honestly, it just isn't there, and as such, no deterrence. That said, forums are a great place to have these debates and give opinions on the matter, but once you step away from the keyboard, and get on the trails, people are just out for the ride and minding their own business. Granted, I am relatively new to this, but I've yet to see any actual verbal confrontations and certainly nothing escalated to the point of being physical either on trail or meetup spots. Probably helps that almost everyone uses common sense and practices good etiquette.

Back