Buying Ride 1 Up bikes online

1CC88624-A83A-4D3C-B2AA-D965E42FF1FE.jpeg

I've ordered several bikes from direct to consumer brands, and 3 or 4 out of 4 had issues with assembly - including a higher end carbon fiber race bike. Ride1Up knows it's assembly quality isn't perfect even before it gets in a box, no one's is. Every time a bike shop sells a bike, it's because they built it out of a box and QCed it.

A bike mechanic has touched thousands of bikes and will know what to look for. Probably much easier for you to shell out $50-100 to a mechanic than for Ride to find a factory with AAA assembly and packing... And still be a good value.

No signatures required. My bike arrived one day before it was scheduled. I came home from work to see it on my front porch. A pleasant surprise!
As I stated before, get someone out to your house or go to a bike shop for them to either assemble it or look it over. It is required by Ride1UP to maintain the warranty.

Yeah, I remember about the warranty. Plus there is the pledge discount.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/ride1up-core-5-or-radmission-1.35720/post-303202

Since I'm not home until mid-afternoon, I usually have deliveries just left on my doorstep. I've never had anything stolen. On occasion, things require a signature, and sometimes you actually have to be there to sign in person, so it's a major hassle. Good to hear they aren't required for these shipments.

Purchased a 700XR 5/25/20 patiently waiting for delivery. was just told their is a 3 week delay, hopefully it will be here the middle of July
7-19-2020 still waiting, got a notice a few days ago that the shipping container has been held up for customs inspection!!

Try using Velotooler. You can get a service that the tech looks over the bike and make adjustments if needed. $49. Look them up. They give you a list (hopefully) of techs in your area.
Ride1Up did recommend them.

Easiest to have the bike delivered directly to a bike shop, just inform them first and get their ok.

No bike shops here, but I wouldn't want to deliver my bike to them anyway. I would deliver to my workplace before that. Anyway, it looks like they will leave it on the doorstep with no signature requirement, so all is good.

I was surprised when I received that email from Ride1up about requiring someone to sign off on assembly to guarantee the warranty. I too am very mechanically inclined and have done many diverse mechanical projects, most unscripted with no directions to follow. I booked an appointment with Velotooler, a company Ride1UP recommended and have to say this turned out to be a no brainer. I booked a one hour, full assembly appointment for $99. You can also book an appointment just for inspection and adjustment for $49.
Assembly was straight forward until a big problem was discovered. The aluminum derailer was bent during shipment. The bike tech, who assembles bikes often,actually had a specific tool to straighten and properly align the bracket. I would be willing to bet most of us who are very mechanically inclined would not have noticed this problem and if we had, we would have taken a vise grip or something similar to straighten the bracket. The specific tool that was used actually straightened it in both the horizontal and vertical plane with a gauge to check squareness. He also had to spend extra time adjusting the gear linkage. I cannot speak for all of the mechanics that are registered with Velotooler but my tech was a bicycle enthusiast who has traveled the world both riding and providing mechanical support.
At first I was a little put out with Ride1Up for
explaining this policy after I placed my order, but in retrospect it was the right thing to do. After all we are ordering bikes online and relying on shippers that don’t always handle packages in the most fragile of ways. Not to mention these E bikes are a costly investment and should be properly assembled and adjusted to guarantee good performance.
I highly recommend Velotooler. They have reps in most areas and they come to your house. Payment is required at time of booking but cancellations are excepted as long as it is not within an eight hour window of the reservation.
I just reviewed Ride1Up's warranty online, I couldn't see anywhere where it states that it needs to be signed off by a tech?

However, I find that this would be a good idea for me. I would like to be able to have the bike inspected prior to riding it by a tech.

I just reviewed Ride1Up's warranty online, I couldn't see anywhere where it states that it needs to be signed off by a tech?

However, I find that this would be a good idea for me. I would like to be able to have the bike inspected prior to riding it by a tech.

Warranty has never been an issue for me, as I mainly assume any warranty isn't worth the paper that it is written on- in general that is. I am primarily considering this service for post assembly checkup purposes ( which probably costs the same as an assembly ) just to make sure everything is in order. Making sure chainline is straight, derailleur not bent, bearing not missing etc. Some things I as a consumer might not notice.
Im going to use the company listed on Ride1Up's website for assembly , Ive spent this much money, what's another $125 for piece of mind?

Last edited:
Looks like they may have required an assembly safety check sign off in the past for their warranty...but now its just recommended, which I think still is a good thing to get checked out because ebikes are not like normal bikes in a sense that you are traveling way faster and things need to be safe before hitting 28mph on the road.

Back