Buy now or wait?

Understand that even though the Rover isn't perfect, there has been a LOT of them sold to owners that are REALLY happy with them! Very few complain about a lack of power. What problems they do have (other than excessive weight claims coming from a fairly low percentage of owners) generally speaking, the bike can be customized very easily using off the shelf parts. There are so many of them out there, rarely do you hear about an issue that hasn't been dealt with a hundred times already!

Consider that even when including the price of fairly expensive mods (like the Bolton kit for instance), the bike is STILL relatively inexpensive.....
Yep i agree. Also these hyperfats like juiced and m2s would draw major attention as bike theft here is like a steady employer so i want something not so obtrusive to start ...still i have motorcycle thought patterns so 2000 for a bicycle really makes me want all the power i can get for that ....hard to transition that but i can say my eboard i have now is 15mph max and its done great...but then i only paid $400 bucks so paying 1500 for a 350w motor 48v when i paid 400 for a 250 w 36 v seems like a big jump.

I know the rover is underpowered but it is so all around. I started out thinking that was the one but after more scrutiny realized i could get a better bike id just have to take some extra risks along....smaller company, diy, troubleshooting alone, etc.
RAD is not a small company, they sell a lot. Cheaper bike (than RAD) won't necessarily mean a smaller company either, but there will be less support (think no support at all). Not sure why you think 750W is underpowered. In your scenario - commuting on flat terrain - 500W will be plenty. Fat tires is more a comfort than necessity for commuting, and you're paying with heavier weight and shorter battery life.

RAD is not a small company, they sell a lot. Cheaper bike (than RAD) won't necessarily mean a smaller company either, but there will be less support (think no support at all). Not sure why you think 750W is underpowered. In your scenario - commuting on flat terrain - 500W will be plenty. Fat tires is more a comfort than necessity for commuting, and you're paying with heavier weight and shorter battery life.
Well because the 750 on a rad is peak not nominal and really apparantly just a 500w so the real 750 w power isnt there thus the upgraded kits from bolten and diyers. As for fat tires i know not practical daily on streets but, our streets can sometimes be like off roading plus we have the beach which id like to use it for. I do worry that weight wise this would be hard to be a "get in shape" kind of bike and will have downsides to it but really we just dont have infrastructure here for bike lanes in most areas so a class 3 sounds good but the way people drive here i dont know that even at 28 (pedalling furiously) in a 2 ft lane next to 55mph lunatics would be worth a fun cushy 23 to work. Right now its only a 8 miles round trip. I have struggled with the fat tire argument bc it gives more comfort (for instance the aventon 500 is zippy and nimble and would be great for commuting but the tires would prob last 1 week here and i could never really use it off road, plus no racks or fenders etc....rad city is out, juiced is debatable.....). Its hard to find a tough commuting bike for this terrain and a good utilitarian sturdy bike that can handle a load or beach trek. Id like to have both maybe asking too much but thinking a rad with later upgrades may be the way to start.

Maybe you need to decide what you want the bike MAINLY for, and get the bike for that. I'm not sure a fat tire model will work as a commuter bike. Then, if you buy an established brand with a long history, you probably don't need to worry about the discontinued issue. Giant, Trek, Raleigh, etc. are brands with history, so you can probably depend on them. If you live in an area with lots of bike shops, great - you have a wider choice. If not, you probably need to either buy whatever your LBS sells, or talk to them before you buy about their policies for working on other brands.

Yep i agree. Also these hyperfats like juiced and m2s would draw major attention as bike theft here is like a steady employer so i want something not so obtrusive to start ...still i have motorcycle thought patterns so 2000 for a bicycle really makes me want all the power i can get for that ....hard to transition that but i can say my eboard i have now is 15mph max and its done great...but then i only paid $400 bucks so paying 1500 for a 350w motor 48v when i paid 400 for a 250 w 36 v seems like a big jump.

Not sure where you're getting the 350w from. They're 500w (at minimum), and confusing yourself with that other data that's not even relevant to bicycles (if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly) isn't productive when looking at a BIKE!

If you want to go fast, you need a bigger motor. If you want a bigger motor, you're going to need a controller that will support it. The stock battery will handle motors in excess of 1000w (I'm running a Mac 12t on my Rad City for proof of that) but obviously you can go crazy there and totally overwhelm that battery as well.

My point is, if you want to buy a fast bike, you lead with your check book or wallet. If you want to keep expenses to a minimum, you can build one starting with a donor bike, you can do that from scratch, or by starting with something like this.

As far as which motor to go with for your "fast" bike, there are a TON of variables, starting with exactly how fast do you want to go, how far does it need to go at that speed, and what kind of budget are you on?

OR, you can stop considering what might be available, and compromise with something that might be more affordable and realistic. It's your call.

Also bc im 50 and i need comfort. I have crashed my eride now 3 times, only once my fault but still, the roads here are rough and lots of unexpected stuff that can cause over the bars sits if not totally focused....wet roads a lot, sand spots, no pavement stretches......the commuters seem to have no suspension and except one or two just city tires or "balloons" (2.2) which i worry will still rattle my teeth.

I have a friend with a 500 watt geared hub, kit bike. He has a watt meter mounted and the bike peaks at 1030 watts. He easily hits 28 mph. I have a 350 watt bike, peaks over 700 watts and a 500 watt bike that peaks at almost 900 watts. I ride snow, rain, heat and both paved and off road. Some serious Appalachian mountain trails too.

There are so many good affordable bikes to choose from. You can save money buying a demo bike or a leftover model. I purchased one major brand bike in September of the model year and saved about 33%. I have several friends that did the same. I wouldn't wait. Nothing dramatic changes year over year. You'd have to compare bikes several years apart to see dramatic changes. Buy a bike for your typical ride, not the rare ride. BTW, I'm also an MC rider;)

Maybe you need to decide what you want the bike MAINLY for, and get the bike for that. I'm not sure a fat tire model will work as a commuter bike. Then, if you buy an established brand with a long history, you probably don't need to worry about the discontinued issue. Giant, Trek, Raleigh, etc. are brands with history, so you can probably depend on them. If you live in an area with lots of bike shops, great - you have a wider choice. If not, you probably need to either buy whatever your LBS sells, or talk to them before you buy about their policies for working on other brands.
Yes i agree. And i mainly use for commuting. But again commuter bikes out there i worry cant withstand our infrastructure. But, ive never ridden a fat tire so its hard to compare by not experiencing. Very few lbs here have fat tire ebikes and most places sell high dollar bikes like stromers and etc or very cheap fold ups no real in between. I realize if i go online direct i will have to do the work but i just havent seen a bike in a lbs that is versatile. I looked at magnums but they seem to clunky looking to me. Pedego is big here but not a fan. Still looking into lbs but if i have to go an hour to a shop i feel as a somewhat capable person id rather almost just learn how to diy and that would give me overall ability to service and knowledge for the next bike.
I would like to have a car replacement so commuting and weekend use would be ideal, but cant ride a dang cargo bike to work. Mini cargos seem to all have little tires which im not crazy about at 50 riding a mini bike again. Ariel had a bike that looked good but their service isnt there yet. Its very confuddling.

If i were to go straight commuter purpose for example i would be looking at the amego, juiced ccs .....idk those set ups with no suspension or cushion and city tires would work. Understand when i say "city" this isnt dc or tampa city this is small beach town congested tourist city with traffic like a big city but no smooth roads or bike paths like a city. So its confusing when commuting. It seems with a 3" tire id have more stability and comfort and just sacrifice some speed and weight. Then i have to ask am i going to try to ride this without power....what if power fails and i have to cycle home? No way on a rover. But dd on the city is a deal breaker. The amego (?) looks good im checking into that....no local support tho for most anything under 2k here except the aventon or magnum that ive seen....

I would buy the Rover and change the tires if you don't like the noise. You are not going to get as durable bike for less money. 8 miles on an e-bike is nothing as far as distance. It's like a 30 minute ride. Ask Mr. Gold about the Rover.

To be clear, i really want to buy now

Hello Sharkbait, You wrote .."To be clear, I really want to buy now"....Well do it, now !! : ) It appears you're suffering from a
bad case analysis paralysis. I'm concerned that whatever bike you buy, whenever you buy it you'll enjoy it for a bit and then,
" If I only had waited for ...." or "I should have bought a ...."

Riding a bike is fun, especially an eBike, it's tons of fun. It's not a science project. You've done a lot of homework, which is good,
but it seems to me the research is getting in the way of what this is all about....Having fun... We're all different. Buying my eBike
went like this...I was in my LBS having my non traditional Hybrid bikes checked. My sales rep said saw my checking out a commuter
eBike and suggested I go out for a ride...I hesitated because deep down I was 'afraid' I'd like like it, then what ?

I took the commuter eBike for a 20 minute ride. In the first 10 minutes I knew it was for me. I didn't know
an eBike from a pound of cheese...Road back to my LBS and bought the bike on the spot. That was three years ago.
Every time I ride is like the first time...So much joy, a month later I bought a Mountain eBike for Rail Trail riding.
I have over 5200 combined miles on both bikes.

Hopefully this may be of some help, good luck.

in a way its like an iphone, sure you can get the latest and greatest iphone 11 but the iphone 8 runs everything just fine

amego, juiced ccs .....idk those set ups with no suspension or cushion and city tires would work. Understand when i say "city" this isnt dc or tampa city this is small beach town congested tourist city with traffic like a big city but no smooth roads or bike paths like a city. So its confusing when commuting. It seems with a 3" tire id have more stability and comfort and just sacrifice some speed and weight. Then i have to ask am i going to try to ride this without power....what if power fails and i have to cycle home? No way on a rover. But dd on the city is a deal breaker. The amego (?) looks good im checking into that....no local support tho for most anything under 2k here except the aventon or magnum that ive seen....
RAD Rover has 4" tires, not 3".
All Amego bikes have suspension fork, and so does Juiced CCS and RAD City.
RAD City tires are 2.3", this is as wide as it gets, without going for 3" of fats.
Amego have both 1.75" and 2.3" size, I recall they are 27.5".

Pedaling home without power doesn't happen often - yes, DD will slow you down a bit. Probably resistance of a 4" tire will be comparable to that of a DD, if not worse yet.

I have to agree with John - bad case of analysis paralysis :). Buy something in your price range, most questions and worries will be resolved after you've ridden it for a while.

Last edited:
One thing to remember about Amego is that, unless you live in Toronto, this is the same business model as RAD and other online retailers. This is a house brand, in Toronto they keep a shop where you could go and fix it. In Florida they will ship you parts and will help troubleshoot over email or phone. You'll do the actual work.

You "might" be able to get some LBS do both troubleshooting and replacement work, check with local LBS. I don't think Amego cares whether you or LBS will do troubleshooting and replacement. RAD doesn't.

[...long list of questions snipped...]

Whether it's worth learning to work on the bike or not depends on your aptitude and interest. I believe I have the aptitude, but I don't have the interest. What kind of person are you? I think someone who enjoys tinkering might get more out of a cheap e-bike than I would! :)

I believe the best time to buy an e-bike is when you can afford it. There'll always be something new on the horizon, so at some point you have to just pull the trigger and start enjoying yourself!

It's tough when you don't find a good bike shop to partner with. I live in a relatively small community that nonetheless has a lot of bike shops (350K people and nearly 30 bike shops!), so the thought that someone might fail to find a good bike shop is a shockingly unfamiliar concept for me. I guess all you can do is choose the best of the worst, if you decide to go the bike shop route.

For absolute best bang for the buck, I recommend a bike with a Shimano electric system. They get longer range out of a 418 Wh battery than most e-bikes can get out of a 500 Wh battery (sometimes significantly so). And yet, Shimano's 504 Wh batteries cost less than most competing 400 Wh batteries. This one-two punch makes Shimano's range and cost advantage significant, and it's both an up-front savings and a long-term savings. You'll likely get longer service life out of their batteries, and when you finally need to replace it you'll likely pay less. And a Shimano-equipped e-bike will probably cost hundreds of dollars less than a similarly equipped Bosch set-up. And Shimano has an absolutely huge dealer network for service. It's no surprise to me that some companies have switched over entirely from Bosch to Shimano (Felt comes to mind), others have mostly done so (Kona and Norco are examples), and even Trek has increased the Shimano STePS presence in their line-up. I can't think of anyone switching from Shimano to Bosch off the top of my head, in contrast.

Weight can be an important factor for some. You're more likely to find a car rack that you can carry the bike with, or to have an easier time loading it onto the bike rack on the front of a bus (all the public transit buses here have bike racks on them). Low weight is typically also a general sign of high overall quality, which might mean lower maintenance cost. Low weight also factors into good handling, and further assists range and overall enjoyment of the bike. A bike with any of the brand name players will usually be lightweight compared to the cheaper e-bikes. I'm a buy-it-once, buy-it-right kind of person. Get a good one and maintain it for a long time at low maintenance cost, and get better resale value when you're done with it, and it usually ends up costing the same or less as going no-name.

Your concern with things being discontinued isn't a big deal if you go brand name. From what I understand, Shimano (for example) guarantees a 5 year minimum parts availability period for their electric parts after they discontinue an item. You'll probably get more than that for many parts, such as batteries.

My suspicion is that if you get a good brand name bike with a Shimano or Bosch system, you could be maintaining and enjoying a decade or more into the future (or at least getting reasonable resale for it if you choose to upgrade). Your typical inexpensive hub motor e-bike? More likely not, on both counts. Hub motor companies seem to be more likely to go out of business, and more rapidly lose interest in old models as new models come out, than mid-drive companies. The past doesn't guarantee the future of course, but I doubt Shimano or Bosch is going out of business anytime soon, nor have they stopped making parts for old models yet that I'm aware of.

I don’t own a Rad bike, but it seems like the most popular e bike where I live in Inland Southern California.
Some observations-
They are fast- I have a powerful mid drive motor, I pedal hard, but Rads smoke me on a regular basis.
They look very sturdy
Their big tires are noisy on pavement, but so what, you want to ride on the beach.
Their owners tell me they love them.
Check the maintenance forums. See what owners are saying about mechanical issues and company support. That should help you make a decision, too.
You are not going to have everything in a bike. Just maybe a bike you like a lot.
And the bike you think you want may not be the bike you actually would enjoy the most.
Best of luck.

Greetings all from south florida. I am new to the forum and buying my first ebike. I have been a biker all my life from my first red bike with the hard plastic seat to dirtbikes and atvs and then motorcycles. I started out this journey when as a single parent my car broke down and I was just so fed up with car repairs, insurance (very high here in fla))...no fault ins and lots of traffic problems...fraud and accidents) and living where the weather is great so ...i decided to go electric. I started with a glion scooter which has done me very well while doing bike research. However I am now so overloaded after 3 months of watching and reading and educating myself that I am not sure whether to even buy now or not. The reasons for waiting to me, would be
1. $2000 is a lot of money and idk when im going to have that kind of cash laying around again so i feel the pressure to make a right decision...
2. Lots of bikes seem to be going "discontinued" every day and what does that mean for the person who needs parts and service?
3. Bikes are newer here in US and so much is changing rapidly....already we are seeing the 1000 watt motors and the mid drives and integrated batteries....i forsee looking back just a year and thinking how clunky these electric versions were with their big box of batteries and little straining motors and gear changing.
4. No way i would spend 5k right now for a technology that may not go mainstream (belt drive etc) and when things are changing so rapidly
5. A lot of bikes that had buzz to start ended as kind of flops like the super73 and some others (companies that ended up not being good long term ....etc)
6. Lbs here are not stellar for ebike help . The ones i have been to either have a) only 2 or 3 ebikes b) have all one brand of ebike of c) are very overbearing and know it all types i would not want to work with long term.
I was standing in the lbs looking at a bike and a guy comes in with a phanton pro something and having issues and trying to get help but they couldnt get the people on the phone......the lbs guy says " see that's what you get when you buy a bike online" . Like that cant happen to any bike....
Am i better off to buy cheaper or "affordable" like the aventon or amego now, and learn to work on them along the way and in 3 or 4 years upgrade or wait till 2020 and see what happens with mid drives and who pulls out in front as a company or will there be any difference?
I was in the same boat as you Sharkbait! I did not want to spend $3K plus on a bike. I knew what I wanted though. In situations like this, patience is really a virtue.

I ended up buying a bike from my lbs, they give bike tours and turn over their inventory every six months or so. It was deeply discounted and came with a warranty. I pulled the trigger.

Good luck finding what you want at the price you want.

Hi,

I have almost 6000 miles on e-bikes since I got my first one in November of 2016 (I don't ride in Winter as I live in Wisconsin), so almost 2000 miles per year. I LOVE my e-bikes. I would definitely recommend test driving as many as you can before you buy one as there is a ton of differences both in bikes AND e-bikes. They have been completely problem free over those 6000 miles for me with the exception of 2 flats so far and I had 2 spokes break on one of my bikes in the rear tire that I replaced my self, but then had to take the wheel to be re-trued.

My first e-bike is a Diamondback Lindau with over 4500 miles which has the advantage that I hope it is bulletproof forever because it is a gearless rear hub motor (no moving parts, nothing to wear out).

Last year on Black Friday I got an iZip moda. I absolutely LOVE this bike. The Brose drive system is the most amazing thing on the planet. I got this new bike because my old bike works great if I am by myself but it doesn't work well for going for bike rides with other people. The new bike (Brose mid-drive with belt) is the most natural feeling e-bike I have ever ridden and it works just fine whether I am going slow or fast. I have about 1200 miles on it so far, and my only problem was the chain kept coming off the front ring. I got a wide-narrow chainring and the problem has been solved. But, I am worried because it is obviously much more complicated that my old bike and it has parts and complexity (but maybe it will be fine).

When not using the bikes (over Winter for example) make sure to leave the batteries 1/2 full and I also leave them 1/2 full when I am not using them for a week or so. Also I do not run the batteries all the way down and recharge when they are 1/4 to 1/3 full. From what I understand this really increases the longevity of the batteries. Finally, you also do not want the batteries to be 100% full for very long periods either.

One possibility is to go to Crazy Lenny's e-bike store in Winter Garden Florida and they will also sell used bikes, and maybe you can get a good deal on a slightly used bike if you are price sensitive. They also have really good prices compared to many stores. I live near his other store in Madison WI where I bought my bikes.

Forgot to mention: mobile service Velofix works on RAD bikes. It appears that they cover South Florida as well, you might want to give them a call regarding Tampa: Velofix in South Florida.
Have a feeling that they would service Amego as well. Kit bike is a kit bike.

Greetings all from south florida. I am new to the forum and buying my first ebike. I have been a biker all my life from my first red bike with the hard plastic seat to dirtbikes and atvs and then motorcycles. I started out this journey when as a single parent my car broke down and I was just so fed up with car repairs, insurance (very high here in fla))...no fault ins and lots of traffic problems...fraud and accidents) and living where the weather is great so ...i decided to go electric. I started with a glion scooter which has done me very well while doing bike research. However I am now so overloaded after 3 months of watching and reading and educating myself that I am not sure whether to even buy now or not. The reasons for waiting to me, would be
1. $2000 is a lot of money and idk when im going to have that kind of cash laying around again so i feel the pressure to make a right decision...
2. Lots of bikes seem to be going "discontinued" every day and what does that mean for the person who needs parts and service?
3. Bikes are newer here in US and so much is changing rapidly....already we are seeing the 1000 watt motors and the mid drives and integrated batteries....i forsee looking back just a year and thinking how clunky these electric versions were with their big box of batteries and little straining motors and gear changing.
4. No way i would spend 5k right now for a technology that may not go mainstream (belt drive etc) and when things are changing so rapidly
5. A lot of bikes that had buzz to start ended as kind of flops like the super73 and some others (companies that ended up not being good long term ....etc)
6. Lbs here are not stellar for ebike help . The ones i have been to either have a) only 2 or 3 ebikes b) have all one brand of ebike of c) are very overbearing and know it all types i would not want to work with long term.
I was standing in the lbs looking at a bike and a guy comes in with a phanton pro something and having issues and trying to get help but they couldnt get the people on the phone......the lbs guy says " see that's what you get when you buy a bike online" . Like that cant happen to any bike....
Am i better off to buy cheaper or "affordable" like the aventon or amego now, and learn to work on them along the way and in 3 or 4 years upgrade or wait till 2020 and see what happens with mid drives and who pulls out in front as a company or will there be any difference?
dude just buy a bike you like now and get to riding, along your journey you will find a lot of what you read on the internets is bullshit,what you consider an upgrade now may change after you have some ride time. Amego/Radpower/voltbike/biktrix/M2s all have some Killer bikes under 2000! stop missing out on the fun!

Back