Buy Now or Wait Until 2021?

timacn

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on either a Cannondale Synapse Neo SE or a Kona Dew-E DL. I discovered from a LBS today that no Dew-E DLs will likely be available before December at the earliest. The Synapse Neo SE is available, but one wonders if anything will be upgraded on that model for 2021. I've been told that Covid has gummed up the supply chain and lots of upgraded machines won't hit the stores until the holidays or later. Of course, Autumn is arguably the best time to ride a bike. So: Do I buy the Synapse now or wait until sometime this winter to compare it with a Kona Dew-E DL?

Buying now is getting harder and harder to do unless you want a DTC in a box and even those are pushed out 3 months. I would say if you dont have an Ebike now to tide you over, buy today. If you can wait, wait for a great deal or your perfect bike...

I think you'd be happy with either, but one you'd be happy with sooner. :)

That being said, I think the Synapse page is showing the range based on having a dual battery setup.

I’m planning to order another Trek and get it in mid-October. Guess we’ll see if it really works that way.

Hey antboy. Tell me more about your "dual battery setup" theory on the Synapse Neo. Their published range does seem really far.

Buying now is getting harder and harder to do unless you want a DTC in a box and even those are pushed out 3 months. I would say if you dont have an Ebike now to tide you over, buy today. If you can wait, wait for a great deal or your perfect bike...
Just did. For my wife, that is. I thought it was pretty painless actually. It’s due here in a month. I’m curious how we should expect great deals at this particular time when even finding ebikes is so tough.

Last edited:
Just did. For my wife, that is. I thought it was pretty painless actually. It’s due here in a month. I’m curious how we should expect great deals at this particular time when even finding ebikes is so tough.

Fair deal?

If you buy a 2020 model now and resell it next year it's a year old model vs a current year model.

Congratulations, did you go with the Allant+ 7 lowstep?

Hey antboy. Tell me more about your "dual battery setup" theory on the Synapse Neo. Their published range does seem really far.

137 miles for that motor and battery combo does seem a bit high. REI lists it as 93 miles which makes more sense compared to the Topstone Neo Carbon 2 I have (listed as 75-80 miles). Unfortunately, according to the 2020 Electric Bikes Manual I got with my Topstone, Synapse Neo SE doesn't seem to have a range extender option.

I saw a Ghost hardtail touring bike at REI today with a bosch active line plus motor and a 500W battery for just $2300USD.

Yup. I would have preferred a +7 Stagger but Trek, for some odd reason, doesn’t make one! Just the +7s.
Some think there isn't much difference between the stagger and the regular frame. It is true you still have to step up quite a bit on the stagger frame. Perhaps in the end the low step will be better . With the exception of being able to attach the second battery, however since you are purchasing a complete unit to swap this may not be an issue for you at all.

Some bikes do come with the option to have a second external battery. For example, some Trek bikes with Bosch motors support a second battery.

I don't know if the Synapse Neo SE supports this (there's nothing on the site regarding it, and the images don't seem to show it), but that range seems ridiculously high for a single 500Wh battery. Most advertise 80-90 miles with that setup, which is in line with Bosch's range calculator.

The only other one I can think of is Cannondale mentions "Bosch Active Line Plus drive system w/ Cannondale road-specific software", but I haven't read anything about Cannondale's software, and not sure how they would tune it to get said range.

Back