Bumper Hitch rack - any special considerations?

LewSchiller

I'm 99% certain I'll be going with the Magnum Cruiser.
I'll want to be transporting it via bumper hitch (2") rack.
Are there any special considerations about which I should be aware?
Thanks!
Lew
in Littleton Colorado

1. A rack that has a locking hitch mechanism to prevent theft of rack.
  2. A take up mechanism that tightens your rack to the two inch receiver which will take out any slack.
  3. A rack that tilts

Thanks!
Lew
in Littleton Colorado
I’ve been using a 20 year old base level Swagman for 6 months with no problems. We Cary 2 E-bike with a combined weight of about 90 lbs. we rake the batteries of and attach a tension strap to reduce any bouncing

I went and looked at the USA nice rack, bit above my pay grade. Hoping to find an option that would be a little less. I won't be going long distance with it not over rough Terrain. I'm sure it'll be an interesting journey to find the right solution.

I got the Hollywood ebike rack. It cost a bit but has some great features. It will easily handle both my Metro+ and my wife's Magnum Cruiser. It keeps the bikes rock steady. But here is one thing I really like. The documentation says it is specifically engineered to carry only one bike using the outside rack. I guess that is not the case with most racks. In any case if I am only taking one bike I can load it up by myself by only having to lift one wheel off the ground at a time. It takes me barely a minute to completely load my bike which is great because I hate messing with this kind of thing. haha. It also easily folds up so that when not in use it only extends 17" from the hitch.

1: Any specific recommendations?
2: Cody is beautiful! Breed?

Sorry for the late reply. Cody is an Aussie Doodle, he's my buddy for sure. Loves going along with me on a ride. He's great at healing (no collar) on the side of the bike during my ride.

The Rack I use its the Hollywood rack, the one MetroDuck has. Love the rack, worth the money. The best place I found to purchase on was from RadPowerBikes.com. They had it shipped within a week from the manufacture while several of the Hollywood rack distributors said they were out of stock.

Cody sure looks sweet. We had a BorderCollie/Pyr who was an awesome dog...now looking at the Doodle lines to reduce the shedding. Pyr's can shed an entire new dog every other week...it seems ...:)

I have been using my 2 bike SportRack for the last 20 years with a combined max rating of 90lbs. There are other similar racks on Amazon that are half the price, just make sure you check the capacity specs. Perhaps you could do some comparisons also at etrailer.com. They have many very informative videos attached to most of their racks. The nice feature is tire trays and padded hooks that clamp down onto the top tube. No fenders to interfere with clamping.
I also like the 1upUSA. I think I read somewhere that the mfg had a solution for bikes with fenders.

Thanks!
Lew
in Littleton Colorado
I have a Thule for 3 bikes. I use that, but it's a long way up to the bars. I find if I use rubber garden gloves it's a lot easier.
My husband just surprised me with the 2-platform Thule. It weighs about 65 pounds, but doesn't seem too heavy and has wheels so it can be rolled like a suitcase. It is built to hold 2 e-bikes.

I recently purchased this one, based on several recommendations from members of this forum:

I have a Thule for 3 bikes. I use that, but it's a long way up to the bars. I find if I use rubber garden gloves it's a lot easier.
My husband just surprised me with the 2-platform Thule. It weighs about 65 pounds, but doesn't seem too heavy and has wheels so it can be rolled like a suitcase. It is built to hold 2 e-bikes.
The rack itself weighs 65lbs? I am trying to stay with the lightest/strongest one I can find. Perhaps the 1up-USA made from aluminum-alloy. I would guess that is a for a 2 inch receiver. Interesting.

My Saris is getting crusty at 8 years old , lived outside the whole time , still works fine....

Back