Broken Hanger :(

rdowns

So I went out for a ride Wednesday, desperate after not getting to ride for 2 WEEKS due to inclement weather.😫 I rode down a gravel road and thru several muddy spots . Even though I tried to ride slowly and reduce torque my chain came off a few times and then my hanger broke. I had to walk and sometimes ride and coast on downhill portions 5 miles back to my car. Fortunately , I got to ride about 15 miles already and was working my way back. I went straight to the bike shop but it was the end of the day so I had to pick it up on Friday. My hanger was replaced and they upgraded my derailleur since that is what they had in stock. This was NOT a warranty repair. The chain scratched up my tube pretty badly, but I guess battle scars are proof I am having fun, haha.
1604287098434.png

1604287298324.png

Indeed, at least it was easily fixed. My mechanic said it is a fail part designed to save the frame.
Im skeptical that the engineers thought the frame was so weak they should put a light weight hanger on to save it. That's not a mtb, what did they think was going to happen?

I thought it the hangers purpose was more sacrificial, as a hit on the derailleur can occur and breaking a hanger is much cheaper then if it was broken off the frame, which would likely need a new frame.

Im skeptical that the engineers thought the frame was so weak they should put a light weight hanger on to save it. That's not a mtb, what did they think was going to happen?
I was not too happy, but that is what they said.

Save the frame from what? Did you hit the derailleur on something?
No, but I think the reasoning is that the hanger just breaks off instead of damaging the frame. The derailleur was damaged because I kept getting gravel clogged in my chain from the mud.
I thought it the hangers purpose was more sacrificial, as a hit on the derailleur can occur and breaking a hanger is much cheaper then if it was broken off the frame, which would likely need a new frame.
That is correct

So I went out for a ride Wednesday, desperate after not getting to ride for 2 WEEKS due to inclement weather.😫 I rode down a gravel road and thru several muddy spots . Even though I tried to ride slowly and reduce torque my chain came off a few times and then my hanger broke. I had to walk and sometimes ride and coast on downhill portions 5 miles back to my car. Fortunately , I got to ride about 15 miles already and was working my way back. I went straight to the bike shop but it was the end of the day so I had to pick it up on Friday. My hanger was replaced and they upgraded my derailleur since that is what they had in stock. This was NOT a warranty repair. The chain scratched up my tube pretty badly, but I guess battle scars are proof I am having fun, haha.
View attachment 70404
View attachment 70405
Damn sorry that happened to your bike. As long as it’s fixed now and the paint damage isn’t too bad all’s well that ends well. Worst case scenario if the paint damage bothers you those fancy matte wraps that are done on cars now can easily be done on ebikes too.

How muddy was the trail ? Do you have any pics of the off-road part where it happened ?

I just am shocked that the hanger broke like that without hitting it on something. What’s even stranger is that the Allant+7 has a tough aluminum guard protecting the derailleur.
C9897C0F-B5B2-4C6D-A4B7-0FA25978EBAF.jpeg

The guard isn’t going to prevent mud and gravel from locking the chain up in the derailleur. Trying to pedal with the chain locked up will definitely break the hanger and damage the derailleur.

The guard isn’t going to prevent mud and gravel from locking the chain up in the derailleur. Trying to pedal with the chain locked up will definitely break the hanger and damage the derailleur.
I’ve never put a bike through that kind of mud so I’ve never experienced anything close to that kind of lockup.

I’ve never put a bike through that kind of mud so I’ve never experienced anything close to that kind of lockup.
I’ve seen it happen on an analog mountain bike. Very abusive to the drivetrain. Think about all the torque going through the hanger if the chain is bound up in the the derailleur.

How muddy was the trail ? Do you have any pics of the off-road part where it happened ?
I wish I did. I think it wasn't so much the mud as the gravel in it. My tires rolled smoothly and the fenders weren't caked up. I ride primarily on gravel, but this was my first time to ride in so much mud/gravel mix. Leftover from the snow. All the low spots were just yucky. I went slowly , but that wasn't enough.

Yes, the mechanic said the torque from my legs even without the motor could cause it.

I’ve seen it happen on an analog mountain bike. Very abusive to the drivetrain. Think about all the torque going through the hanger if the chain is bound up in the the derailleur.
A smarter person would have turned around the first time the chain came off. :confused: I just slowed wayyyy down thru those parts. I was greedy and wanted to ride and the view was so nice..... the entire road wasn't muddy just parts of it. It is a lesson I wish I learned a different way, but all things considered, my bike is fixed and I learned something too. I've put almost 100 miles on it since that little accident. We have been gifted some lovely weather and I am trying to take advantage of it.

What derailleur did you get? BTW, thanks for posting this. I‘ll make sure I don’t ride in similar circumstances with my Allant+7!

I always recommend having a spare hanger in your on-bike repair kit; that way you can replace it in the field and not be stranded.

Back