Brake pads replaced at 2205 miles on 2022 Vado 5.0---question?

GuruUno

I sent this inquiry to my LBS manager and the SRAM top dog...just looking for alternative opinions as to uneven wear.

I caught this after 2205 miles on my 2022 Vado 5.0 (heard scrape).<--see attached photo…the worn pads were on the rear wheel.

I obtained OEM brake pads from Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LFZVLRU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ), I replaced, however upon inspection of the worn pads (worn pads are shown in attached photo), my inquiry is if the calipers are 4 pistons, and the pads show one side of the pads being worn out instead of evenly, what is the resolve to be sure the brakes are operating correctly?

I’d be open to a known process, but hesitant to second guess the solution and have the bike sit for an extended period of time while discussions and collaborations took place to get a solution.

(I only speak from past experiences…dealer investigates, SRAM is manufacturer, dealer contacts manufacturer, manufacturer discusses with a bike shop, etc., back, and forth, etc.…..so the question is….is this a previously known item that has an easy resolution or????)
2022 Vado 5.0 with 2205 miles uneven brake pad wear.JPG

do you know of they are two piston or 4? one side looks like the other looks like the pad was either in skewed or maybe 1 of the two pistons is stuck or maybe both. if you had not touched them then something in the manufacture or setup was way off. the one pad looks like it was off or the caliper was off but the other looks fine. your rotor maybe toast. my first e biek had too long of mounts and the pads were only hitting 2/3 but it was even both sides.

The need to replace your rear brake pads at 2200 miles seems normal to me. The uneven wear is not normal however. You asked for suggestions to resolve so if it was my ebike, I would have the tech at my LBS install new pads then check and align the brakes. Also check the rotors for wear or warp. After 500 miles or so, check that the replacement pads are wearing evenly. If the tech did the work correctly, the pads should be wearing evenly.

I would not expect much of an answer since those look like they were flogged and it's hard to see the thickness of the lower pad. They should be replaced when the get down to a 1/16 or 1.5mm.

E-bikes are heavier and tend to be ridden by gravity challenged riders so there tends to be faster brake pad wear. I usually buy pad sets four at a time so I always have a set ready to go. Organics like your linked pads are cheaper, quieter and will only get 1000-1500 miles. I prefer semi-metalic or sintered for longer wear especially when it gets rainy, wet and gritty. I keep the cheaper organics for emergency replacements.

As Jeff said, 2,200 miles for brake pads replacement is the right time (I recently changed mine for TRP Zurich for Vado 5.0 after 2,400 miles). The uneven pad wear might result from:
  1. Uncentered brake callipers (it is a very easy to recentre the callipers), or
  2. One or more pistons getting stuck (leave that to the LBS)
The (1) makes one of the pads worn more than the other. The (2) makes the uneven pad wear.
In my experience, the front of the pad wears faster. However, the vertical wear could be outcome of stuck piston(s).

It is interesting that it were your rear wheel pads to wear. Do you use both brakes?! The front wheel requires the 70-80% of the stopping power for the whole mass of the bike + rider + cargo. The front wheel brake pads can be totally worn when the rear ones are healthy! (The front pads on my Vado required replacement at 2,400 miles while the rear ones have been ridden for almost 5,000 mi and are still usable!)

As Jeff said, 2,200 miles for brake pads replacement is the right time (I recently changed mine for TRP Zurich for Vado 5.0 after 2,400 miles). The uneven pad wear might result from:
  1. Uncentered brake callipers (it is a very easy to recentre the callipers), or
  2. One or more pistons getting stuck (leave that to the LBS)
The (1) makes one of the pads worn more than the other. The (2) makes the uneven pad wear.
In my experience, the front of the pad wears faster. However, the vertical wear could be outcome of stuck piston(s).

It is interesting that it were your rear wheel pads to wear. Do you use both brakes?! The front wheel requires the 70-80% of the stopping power for the whole mass of the bike + rider + cargo. The front wheel brake pads can be totally worn when the rear ones are healthy! (The front pads on my Vado required replacement at 2,400 miles while the rear ones have been ridden for almost 5,000 mi and are still usable!)
I always use both brake levers.
LBS suggested I bring it in for them to check caliper alignment, etc.
Thanks to all for the feeback.

life of pads is going to vary on so many factors. on our tandem we eat up pads going down steep hills and the weight metallic pads would last around 2000 miles. on my commuter I get around 4000 miles.

Much the same as all have said, an electric bike is heavier and therefore will use the pads more. Odd to see the wear so uneven, so something was clearly wrong with this set up.

With pads, most mainstream providers will offer sintered (metal) or organic (resin). I have recently swapped to ceramic pads on my Creo and they are awesome. Ok on the initial brake and bite harder as they heat and I love them. They are also near silent in most conditions, a massive bonus over some other pads that will announce you are coming !!!!

Much the same as all have said, an electric bike is heavier and therefore will use the pads more. Odd to see the wear so uneven, so something was clearly wrong with this set up.

With pads, most mainstream providers will offer sintered (metal) or organic (resin). I have recently swapped to ceramic pads on my Creo and they are awesome. Ok on the initial brake and bite harder as they heat and I love them. They are also near silent in most conditions, a massive bonus over some other pads that will announce you are coming !!!!
True re: announcement! I had pads on a Trek that SCREAMED!!!! I did not need to use my bell or AirZound!!!...

Back