Boschs Purion - "Change Display Battery"

Hi ,
how can I get rid of this problem?
I changed the batteries three times and so after a day I show up (CHANGE DISPLAY BATTERY)
How can I make her stop working?
Please help
I hope I can help. Some other people in the thread above have had this problem, including me, right now.
Just because it says “change display batteries” doesn’t mean the batteries aren’t working. The system seems to reset itself after being turned on and off several times.
First of all the Purion gods are capricious. Make sure you’re using the correct Maxell brand batteries to try to appease them, just in case. Then hopefully the system will reset itself after being turned on and off a few times, and you won’t get that message.
If you are stuck, you can start the display by turning the main battery on. But I’ve never had to do this, so I can’t say if it works. It’s just what the owners manual say and what other posters have done.

I hope I can help. Some other people in the thread above have had this problem, including me, right now.
Just because it says “change display batteries” doesn’t mean the batteries aren’t working. The system seems to reset itself after being turned on and off several times.
First of all the Purion gods are capricious. Make sure you’re using the correct Maxell brand batteries to try to appease them, just in case. Then hopefully the system will reset itself after being turned on and off a few times, and you won’t get that message.
If you are stuck, you can start the display by turning the main battery on. But I’ve never had to do this, so I can’t say if it works. It’s just what the owners manual say and what other posters have done.

I've put a 3-sided battery (TOSIBA.GP Super.Philips) so it just looks like 2 days goes well and after the defense I already have 2 months so it does even if I find this type of material maxell cr2016 can work well without this defective
Or can a reset be done by pressing the buttons?

Last edited:
My wife and me we bought the bikes in the same month.
While I'm commuting she is using it for short ways in the city with the kids and the trailer.

datei-14-07-17-00-44-21.jpeg

After 4 month the purion showed the message "CHANGE DISPLAY BATTERY" while shutting of the system.
Well after another 4 or 5 days we coundn't switch on the system any more.

After changing the batteries (2x CR2016) the system worked again ....... for one day. Guess what? System doesn't work again!

So the dealer called the Bosch hotline:
If you change the CR2016 batteries you must wear gloves, else the batteries can go empty or due to greasy skin the batteries can discharge in the purion.

Nice to know, right?

how did you get rid of this problem did you change something or how did you solve it?

Hi redalexx,

Interestingly enough, I have exactly the same problem. And looking at your pictures the exact same bike and colour.

I like the bike, but suddenly my display does the very same.

So I changed the batteries, again, with gloves this time….. no difference.

Did you find a solution, or are you just ignoring the message like me, as it always comes back on and there are no problems otherwise.

how did you get rid of this problem did you change something or how did you solve it?

The Purion was damaged, the bike shop tried to change batteries for 2 -3 times. Not successful.

This issue happened during the warranty period, my wife got a new one installed. Regular price was arround 100 Euro, if it would be no warranty issue.

I wanted to drop this comment in here for what it’s worth. My Purion display would give me the “change battery” message, I’d change the little batteries, and after 3 weeks, I’d get the same message.
I thought the display was defective, and I know the dealer would have fixed it- but I just couldn’t bring myself to part with the bike- not even for a few days.
Welp, the last set of batteries seems to have done the trick. No more messages. I am thinking that possibly a lot of the batteries marketed as Maxell out there may often be old, defective, or even counterfeit, and this might be part of the problem.
Just thought I’d throw this out there for anyone who’s still running into this situation.

Hi folks. Just got a Cube with Bosch CX and Purion display. I started getting the Change Display Battery message just a couple of weeks later. Took the bike in, they checked it and it was fine for a couple more weeks. Then started getting the message again. Changed the batteries with new batteries. Three days later, same situation. I took the bike in again and had them call the dealer hotline (this is in the Netherlands, by the way) and they sent out a new controller. Dealer changed it out and told me he found what the problem was during disassembly. Somehow, during the manufacturing process, the cable from the controller got in a spot by the main battery mount inside and got pinched. As Orwell would say, double-plus ungood. I'm hoping the replacement does the trick.

To be honest I haven't turned my bike off in a long time so I don't know if I'm still getting the message. It automatically shuts off after 10 minutes so I don't bother most of the time. I need to check if I'm still getting the message. It hasn't let me down yet and I ride it most days. Thanks for reminding me.

Welp -- After having the display completely replaced, after 5 days it's showing the CHANGE DISPLAY BATTERY message again. Very frustrating. Back to the shop on Monday to hook it up, get a diagnostic readout sent to Bosch. Very frustrating.

OK, following up. Bosch dealer hotline had the shop tech replace the Purion with an Intuvia today. It's on there temporarily (two weeks) to see if it works. If it does, they will just upgrade me to the Intuvia. If not, then they are looking at possibly replacing the motor. I think they are hoping the Intuvia will mask the problem enough so that everyone's happy. Tech says he thinks they are trying to treat the symptom rather than the problem. We'll see.

Getting a free Intuvia to replace a Purion seems like a good deal for you IMO. It would also give you the opportunity to upgrade to a Nyon sometime in the future if you want.

So, spotted this post and noticed nothing's been updated in a while; thought I'd add my findings:

I bought a new Raleigh Felix with the Bosch Active Line motor, Performance Line battery and the Purion display. I found after about three weeks it started to display the "change battery in display unit", so I looked up instructions in booklet it says batteries are DL/CR 2016, so I went to the shops and got the Duracell DL2016, replaced as per instructions. Well the message still displays so I took it to Halfords; they do a full inspection of the whole bike, gears, electrics, battery, display. They also sell that bike and so do maintenance / services on it. Halfords noted that the batteries should be CR2016, they replaced them for me and so far no errors. CR2016 are Maxell and Energizer.

It seems to be most devices don't notice the CR / DL but the Purion display does. Halfords say that the notification will not cause problems or randomly stop, if in doubt leave the bike in the mode you usually use, then switch on from the battery.

Well, as I mentioned above, Bosch got involved in my problem and decided that a motor which was programmed for the Intuvia display was installed on my bike, instead of the one for the Purion. Makes no sense to me, but they said if I wanted to stick with the Purion, they'd have to have the entire motor shipped back to them. I just went the easy route and they replaced the Purion with the Intuvia. So far, no probs. CR or DL batteries made no difference when I was having my issues.
Good luck, y'all!

Changed the Purion display batteries twice and still got the message to replace when turning off the bike. Used Maxell CR2016 the first time and Energizer CR2016 the second time. Suggestions? Bosch Team members?

Well, as I mentioned above, Bosch got involved in my problem and decided that a motor which was programmed for the Intuvia display was installed on my bike, instead of the one for the Purion. Makes no sense to me, but they said if I wanted to stick with the Purion, they'd have to have the entire motor shipped back to them. I just went the easy route and they replaced the Purion with the Intuvia. So far, no probs. CR or DL batteries made no difference when I was having my issues.
Good luck, y'all!
thats weird usually that cane changed by the dealer. but maybe it's a motor glitch thing?

Are you not close to the dealer you bought it from? I suggest your remove the main battery pack, or push the reboot button on the battery pack to do a reset. I'd take a little denatured alcohol and clean the faces of the batters as well as the contacts in the display. After that, go to the dealer and let him plug the diagnostic cord in and let the computer tell you the problem. By the way it's better to start a new post compared to tagging onto a post that was started 5 years ago.

Are you not close to the dealer you bought it from? I suggest your remove the main battery pack, or push the reboot button on the battery pack to do a reset. I'd take a little denatured alcohol and clean the faces of the batters as well as the contacts in the display. After that, go to the dealer and let him plug the diagnostic cord in and let the computer tell you the problem. By the way it's better to start a new post compared to tagging onto a post that was started 5 years ago.
No I am not close. I always remove the main pack to charge it. I do not understand how alcohol could help when the message says to replace the battery, not clean it. Again, the dealer is not close. I post where I feel it is most appropriate. I first searched for an answer to my question, and by renewing this thread which deals with the exact same issue that me and many others are facing I hope that Bosch team members will respond and everybody will have an answer. Rich c, I see that you are a Well-Known Member. Could you please ask a Bosch Team member to reply? Thanks.

Cleaning the batteries and battery contacts with alcohol would remove any contaminants like finger oil that might be interfering with the electrical connection to the display. It can't do any damage, and it's worth a try.

Back