Boschs Purion - "Change Display Battery"

redalexx

My wife and me we bought the bikes in the same month.
While I'm commuting she is using it for short ways in the city with the kids and the trailer.

datei-14-07-17-00-44-21.jpeg

After 4 month the purion showed the message "CHANGE DISPLAY BATTERY" while shutting of the system.
Well after another 4 or 5 days we coundn't switch on the system any more.

After changing the batteries (2x CR2016) the system worked again ....... for one day. Guess what? System doesn't work again!

So the dealer called the Bosch hotline:
If you change the CR2016 batteries you must wear gloves, else the batteries can go empty or due to greasy skin the batteries can discharge in the purion.

Nice to know, right?

Huh? The batteries can discharge from skin oils? I'd need to see proof to that, doesn't make sense. Doesn't that system charge of the bike battery? Or are they saying the skin oil film prevents the battery from making contact and prevents charging from the bike battery? Why did the factory battery die so soon, no gloves in the factory? The engineer side in me calls BS on the explanation.

Hi redalexx,

Interestingly enough, I have exactly the same problem. And looking at your pictures the exact same bike and colour.

I like the bike, but suddenly my display does the very same.

So I changed the batteries, again, with gloves this time….. no difference.

Did you find a solution, or are you just ignoring the message like me, as it always comes back on and there are no problems otherwise.

Did you find a solution, or are you just ignoring the message like me, as it always comes back on and there are no problems otherwise.
I went to the shop on Saturday to get the bike back, guess what. When I wanted to test the bike, it didn't start - Display completely dead!
So I have to wait at least till Tuesday afternoon, until a new PURION is installed.
It seems that this will be no warranty claim, because the PURION has a semi big scratch at the switch on/off button.

When does your bike show this issue? Do you had a hit on the PURION housing, too?

Hi Redalexx,

My system works fine all the time…. So far.

After about 4 weeks of owning the bike I got the message, only when I switch it off.

I just thought the batteries had been “lying around” for a while and thought nothing off it.

I replaced them and same again. Only when I switch it off it displays the message

I replaced them again… with gloves this time after reading your post… same again.

The only thing I can see is I used DL2016 batteries instead of CR2016 ones, same thing really.

I tested the batteries and they are well above the 6 volts for both as they are brand new.

I can’t see the Purion being able to tell the difference between the DL2016 and the CR2016 batteries, but that’s my next step.

My bike has had no knocks or the likes and no scratches etc, still in as new condition.

Will be interesting to see what Bosch think, but I am just reluctant to take it back to the shop, as I want to use it not have it lying in a shop waiting on a repair.

Interestingly, I started thinking about the problem

Why would the display say to change the battery all the time, basically because it thinks it’s below a certain voltage threshold?

All the batteries I have put in are brand new, so the only thing which can be wrong, is an error with the electronics, or the batteries are not making a 100% connection and therefore, more resistance means less voltage, V=IR and all that, from my schooldays.

So I took the battery cover off, used a cotton bud and Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and cleaned all the contacts and both sides of both batteries, whilst wearing latex gloves.

There are three small brass contacts on the cover, clean all three, and the contact in the middle where the battery sits.

I put it all back together and it worked fine for 6 times I tried it, remembering every time I switched it off before it told me to change the batteries.

Let’s see how long it lasts.

Worth trying, mainly because it’s free.

Here’s hoping.

So I took the battery cover off, used a cotton bud and Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and cleaned all the contacts and both sides of both batteries, whilst wearing latex gloves.
You made some pictures? I'm sure, this will help all visitors and members with bosch purion. Would be great, if you share this.

Topic - Purion shows "Change Display Battery" and after changing the Battery is dead within a few hours

I went to the bike shop last Friday. They installed a new Purion for about 100 Euro.

As we had some difficulties with the frame size of the bike and the child seating systems the shop changed it for free.

But due to the scratches this would be no warranty issue.

I’m getting this same message before and after changing the batteries. Did anyone find a fix? Get a new purion display? My bike is almost new. Only a couple months old.

I’m getting this same message before and after changing the batteries. Did anyone find a fix? Get a new purion display? My bike is almost new. Only a couple months old.

I have a Purion on a Tern Vektron that started displaying this message last November. I don’t remember what I read that inspired me to do this, but I started using the battery to turn on the bike. The message continued a few more times — and I would only see it when I turned the bike off — then went away for good. I wish I could offer more sound analysis but sometimes you just have to accept the voodoo.

Thanks I’ll give it a try. Sometimes I turn it on at the battery. At first I didn’t realize pressing the battery turns on the entire bike.

Dealer says I have to bring it in to be reset or it will just continue with the message. It's kind of like a maintenance light on a car. I wish I could reset it myself.

I am so grateful that others took the time to post about this issue. I’ve had my Raleigh Lore, which has a Purion display, for only 2 weeks, and it’s already sending me that “change display battery” message.
The bike is brand new(although last years model) And has not of course been exposed to dirt or water.
Chris with propel bikes is sending me new batteries to replace the old ones, but based on what I’m reading here, it sounds as if it might be a different problem.
Well one step at a time. New batteries first. It’s good to know, however that if worst comes to worst, I can operate the bike by turning the main battery on, although the owners manual doesn’t recommend it.
It also says the display should only use genuine Bosch tiny watch batteries- which happen to be $5.00 each. It feels like buying Sea Monkeys.

Update. After changing the batteries I’m no longer getting the message. It’s seems to have cleared itself. I used regular store bought batteries. My manual didn’t recommend any certain brand. It did take a few trips before the message stopped appearing.

Update. After changing the batteries I’m no longer getting the message. It’s seems to have cleared itself. I used regular store bought batteries. My manual didn’t recommend any certain brand. It did take a few trips before the message stopped appearing.
Mine too. Generic batteries installed, message stopped. Thanks to everyone here.

Mine too. Generic batteries installed, message stopped. Thanks to everyone here.

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved!

Btw - the ones we sent are the same Maxwell CR2016 batteries that Bosch recommends. I would recommend sticking with them for anyone that has to replace. Going with something different could cause unexpected results.

K Ch
Glad to hear the issue has been resolved!

Btw - the ones we sent are the same Maxwell CR2016 batteries that Bosch recommends. I would recommend sticking with them for anyone that has to replace. Going with something different could cause unexpected results.
K Chris. In the meantime it’s gorgeous out and I’m going for a short ride w/ my generic batteries. I’ll swap them out for yours the minute they get here. Your person in Brooklyn who followed up with me was extremely helpful btw. Sorry I didn’t get his name. Happy with your shop so far. Can’t keep off the bike!

K Ch

K Chris. In the meantime it’s gorgeous out and I’m going for a short ride w/ my generic batteries. I’ll swap them out for yours the minute they get here. Your person in Brooklyn who followed up with me was extremely helpful btw. Sorry I didn’t get his name. Happy with your shop so far. Can’t keep off the bike!
Have fun! It sure is beautiful out! I think it was Nahim you were working with. He’s our EBike Whisperer as we call him ;)

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on this subject. I have a CUBE Acid with a BOSCH Purion Display bought on line from a well known retailer. Bike has been great for 6 months until it asked me to change the batteries on the Purion Display. I have changed them but now the Purion Display will not turn on. Changed the batteries a second time but still nothing. If I turn on the main battery on the bike the Display jumps into life. I can turn off the Display but it won’t turn back on. I know it’s under warranty etc but as the retailer is on line it will mean sending back and all the hassle that entails. Anyone any advice on the potential solution. Spoke to a Cube dealer today who suggested possible contact issues?

Hi ,
how can I get rid of this problem?
I changed the batteries three times and so after a day I show up (CHANGE DISPLAY BATTERY)
How can I make her stop working?
Please help

Back