Bosch Smartphone Hub vs. Kiox

mercurylines

Hello
I have been reading and watching reviews (some produced by this site) of the Kiox and the Smartphone Hub and I'm kind of torn between the two.

Ultimately, I think I prefer the Kiox over the Smartphone Hub, but I'm concerned about the lack of availability of the Kiox.

Is this truly a short-term supply type of thing or something larger? Ultimately I want to choose the option that is likely to improve over time and have all of the most up-to-date integrations.

The size and removable aspect, and screen visibility of the Kiox tips the scales for me.

For the Smarthome Hub, I'm not in love with the idea of mounting my phone and the risk that goes along with this. Further, I've heard the Kiox is Kiox is easier to read in direct sunlight.

I'm curious to hear the opinions of owners of both of these devices as they will likely help inform my decision. Thanks.

Not a user of either but there's a rumor that there will be a new Nyon coming maybe this year just to confuse and overlap things :)

Hello
I have been reading and watching reviews (some produced by this site) of the Kiox and the Smartphone Hub and I'm kind of torn between the two.

Ultimately, I think I prefer the Kiox over the Smartphone Hub, but I'm concerned about the lack of availability of the Kiox.

Is this truly a short-term supply type of thing or something larger? Ultimately I want to choose the option that is likely to improve over time and have all of the most up-to-date integrations.

The size and removable aspect, and screen visibility of the Kiox tips the scales for me.

For the Smarthome Hub, I'm not in love with the idea of mounting my phone and the risk that goes along with this. Further, I've heard the Kiox is Kiox is easier to read in direct sunlight.

I'm curious to hear the opinions of owners of both of these devices as they will likely help inform my decision. Thanks.

Check this thread. Sounds like it is coming soon. Currently it has only been available as a warranty replacement probably due to limited supply.

I like some aspects of the Smartphone Hub. But two things I don't like: the grip seems a bit insecure and until I switched the case on my Android phone to the slimmest I could possibly find, my phone went flying twice. But the main reason is that I don't want my phone front and center, visible in traffic, on a commuter bike. At least prior to Covid when I was commuting, I often rode in the dark and through some insecure areas. I didn't want my phone sitting out there - lest someone confuse it for a I-Phone - as a temptation for a quick snatch and run attempt. I prefer the smaller profile of the Kiox and like what I've seen in terms of the display and statistical feedback. To date, I haven't needed navigation because I don't travel with my bikes. And for commuting, I always ride with an Android watch that allows me to quickly call 911 should the need arise and to send an SOS with my GPS coordinates to my spouse. So really I prefer to not have my phone as my controller.

I've looked at the Smartphone Hub and the Nyon (which isn't available in the US), but I see little value over the Kiox. A smartphone holder on the handlebars next to the Kiox offers the same level of functionality (perhaps more?), and with the USB cable, the Kiox can charge the phone up while riding.

Although I haven't rode at night yet, I imagine the Kiox can go dimmer than most phones and still be readable. Its auto-brightness works rather well when testing indoors, so I expect almost no glare from the display. My old iZip Metro's screen is a backlit LCD like the Intuvia that is simply obnoxious at night, so I ride it with the backlight off. I'd only go for the Hub if health stats and navigation are important to you, otherwise the Kiox can show you just as much info about the bike, doesn't have any need for internet/bluetooth connectivity, and not subject your phone to extra wear.

Also, I'd hope the Hub isn't the same hardware as the old COBI head units. Had a 6-month headache with a COBI-equipped TranzX drive system because the head unit died. Ended up warranty replacing the entire bike.

That's why I ride with both....🤪 (beauty of being a tech rep!) Both the Kiox and Smartphone Hub share the same wiring connection to the remote and drive unit so I can switch between the two with a 2.5 mm allen key and two minutes of my time!

@mercurylines--- to address your concern over availability. The Kiox is currently an OEM-only part, meaning bikes may come spec'd with this from the manufacturer, but we are bringing it to the aftermarket and should land at our US distributor within the next month or so. These will be available at your local Bosch dealer.

To your second thought---both the Kiox and Smartphone Hub offer a long-term, viable product. With Bluetooth connectivity and associated phone apps, both displays have the ability to be updated over-the-air with new features.

Lastly, yes we teased the new Nyon coming to the states at some point in 2020....options galore!

92F25CC3-71EF-4BFC-AFBB-2ED992A7CC80.jpeg

That's why I ride with both....🤪 (beauty of being a tech rep!) Both the Kiox and Smartphone Hub share the same wiring connection to the remote and drive unit so I can switch between the two with a 2.5 mm allen key and two minutes of my time!

@mercurylines--- to address your concern over availability. The Kiox is currently an OEM-only part, meaning bikes may come spec'd with this from the manufacturer, but we are bringing it to the aftermarket and should land at our US distributor within the next month or so. These will be available at your local Bosch dealer.

To your second thought---both the Kiox and Smartphone Hub offer a long-term, viable product. With Bluetooth connectivity and associated phone apps, both displays have the ability to be updated over-the-air with new features.

Lastly, yes we teased the new Nyon coming to the states at some point in 2020....options galore!

View attachment 56403

Great news all around. Is there a US date yet for ordering the Kiox or is that still pending?

I will speak for the underdog Bosch phone hub, which I quite like.

We are all riding with a phone anyway, why keep it in a pocket just to duplicate the functionality of a single phone app? Why carry another device around whenever the bike Is parked? It’s nice to see with a glance whose call you are ignoring, and it’s nice to control the occasional background music from the existing handlebar switch. If you did forget your phone, or wanted to take a ride while running a different map program, the built-in Bosch backup display works just fine. Phone theft doesn't worry me, that can be wiped, tracked and disabled in minutes. They don’t want my phone, they want my bike!

But- the little plastic phone holder is really, ridiculously, poorly designed for holding phones in cases, which is pretty much all of them...Bosch should get into factory recall mode and fix that.

Meanwhile, I’ll happily park my bike and pocket my phone as others cram their Kiox into their bag next to their flashlight, camera, MP3 player, newspaper...

I will speak for the underdog Bosch phone hub, which I quite like.

We are all riding with a phone anyway, why keep it in a pocket just to duplicate the functionality of a single phone app? Why carry another device around whenever the bike Is parked? It’s nice to see with a glance whose call you are ignoring, and it’s nice to control the occasional background music from the existing handlebar switch. If you did forget your phone, or wanted to take a ride while running a different map program, the built-in Bosch backup display works just fine. Phone theft doesn't worry me, that can be wiped, tracked and disabled in minutes. They don’t want my phone, they want my bike!

But- the little plastic phone holder is really, ridiculously, poorly designed for holding phones in cases, which is pretty much all of them...Bosch should get into factory recall mode and fix that.

Meanwhile, I’ll happily park my bike and pocket my phone as others cram their Kiox into their bag next to their flashlight, camera, MP3 player, newspaper...
My Kiox is bolted on. No need to remove it for me, and also guarantees it won't fly off when hitting a drop in the pavement.

View attachment 56403
Thank. If you HAVE to choose only one, what would it be?

Thank. If you HAVE to choose only one, what would it be?
I think it may depend on where you want the ride info to go. with the ebike connect your limited like it wont put the info into health on my iPhone or strava. the nyon seems to do a lot like control your assist levels. makes me wish I wanted for it over the kiox.

I think it may depend on where you want the ride info to go. with the ebike connect your limited like it wont put the info into health on my iPhone or strava. the nyon seems to do a lot like control your assist levels. makes me wish I wanted for it over the kiox.
Many thanks. Actually, I read your detailed review and have ordered a Kiox. But now i have any second thoughts. I want a GPS device, integrated with my Allant + controls, more accurate battery level and my phone battery to not drain. Integration with apple health and strava are secondary considerations. For the money you shell out , none of the 2 possibly all 3 including Nyon are perfect.

Many thanks. Actually, I read your detailed review and have ordered a Kiox. But now i have any second thoughts. I want a GPS device, integrated with my Allant + controls, more accurate battery level and my phone battery to not drain. Integration with apple health and strava are secondary considerations. For the money you shell out , none of the 2 possibly all 3 including Nyon are perfect.
ya the kiox only gives you gps if you remember to open the app before you start riding. I did not know you could adjust the assist levels on the nyon or I would have waited. I did not need maps on my commuter bike.

This is an extract of a letter I have sent to Bosch. I have also sent it to Riese and Müller who were unaware of the problem with the smartphone hub for iPhone 11 and 12 MAX users. If you have any other make of ebike such as Trek, Moustache etc .......please send a copy of this to the bike manufacturer to exert pressure on Bosch to remedy the situation.

Like many other people, I buy the latest iPhone each year, and I particularly like buying the MAX version. However, I cannot use the smartphone hub with my IPHONE 11 Pro Max or my new IPHONE 12 Pro Max without removing the phone case. The plastic spring mechanism in the Smartphone Hub is ONLY DEEP ENOUGH to accommodate the IPHONE without a case !!

On any bike ride I think this is unacceptable and it undermines the effective use of the Smartphone hub, and even the bike as well.

The Smartphone hub needs to be redesigned so that any new IPHONE within a normal protective case can be accommodated SAFELY. This would not have been such a problem if you still offered for sale the bespoke case for the IPHONE MAX that slides into the hub. However, Bosch only made this up until the X model of the iphone... 2 years ago! If you are marketing the Smartphone hub to consumers like me, it does not make any sense that you do not allow people who have the larger phones to use the HUB in a safe and reasonable way ( ie in a case !!!!!)

I look forward to your response………this cannot be a difficult problem to resolve.

After all, German technology is always superb and this product anomaly is letting down the reputation of Bosch for all your e-bike customers, and the customers of all the electric bike manufacturers that use the Bosch technology

With thanks and kind regards

I love my Kiox because I don't mess with a screen much. And if I could, I would turn off the screen. Small- Compact, and VERY secure with the magnetic mount. I personally think one should not be consulting a screen too much but focused on the riding, traffic, road conditions. Things change quickly sometimes. Could see the GPS being useful but I would only use it when I needed it. Being in the west, one can navigate pretty good with the sun, mountains and hills. It is only in the BIG flats or deep in the forest do things get more interesting. Being able to dead reckoning is a fun skill to develop, imo. For instance, we just need to get over the pass, and into the valley, cross the river via the second bridge and up the next hill. Lastly, all the software has been solid, mostly because it has limited functions.

Hello

A negative feedback and opinion from a new Knox user.

THE GOOD
it’s a super expensive but super effective bike lock! After you pay $11(CAD) as an in app purchase through Bosch - e bike connect app( iOS) the bike motor gets locked. So unless bike thief happens to have van, he can’t ride away on your bike. He may just thrash it!

great build, got gorilla glass etc

THE BAD

- No cross talk and compatiblity with Apple health or watch or Strava . Without heart rate work out, data falls short

- certain handle stem height and angle required for mounting: technical issues

- phone charging cable can be difficult / impossible to be plugged in

- synchronization of data is not seamless

THE UGLY

- eBikeConnect app maps navigation instructions are atrocious and often wrong
- $ 450 is a steep price to pay for good hardware with less functionality especially if it’s a retrofit kit. If it comes by default on some bikes like Allant 8+, townie models, less reason to rant.

BOTTOMLINE
In hindsight, if given a choice I would not buy a lion. I would consider buying a on board gps computer and a compatible heart rate watch (With gps ). I would have same or more functionality and still save money!

I

The app leaves a lot to be desired (though the totally offline navigation and re-route is a fantastic feature that is sorely missed on smartphones). I mainly use the app so that I can check the phone battery on the Kiox as my phone holder covers the top of my phone screen.

It would be nice if the navigation would recognize that you're on a bike path and NOT route you on the roads unless necessary. Also, being able to manually start and stop trip recording would be nice, as I've yet to have a successful trip recorded. Leaving the app with full-time location access on iPhone results in the phone prompting me that the app has been using my location for the few days after a ride without the app being open.

As for the Kiox itself, the automatic screen brightness is fantastic at night. Compared to the Purion, the Kiox is visible but not glaring. The Purion (and I imagine the Intuvia is worse) has no brightness control at all, and riding at night can be a challenge with the glare from the screen (and that's with a 500 lumen headlight). The recent update that allows screen customization saves me a lot of button wear, as I've been able to condense 9 screens to 4.

Bottom line, with the Kiox at the moment, you're buying a really nice display with some app connectivity. The Hub would be the more connected experience.

The app is so dreadful... it makes the Smartphone Hub useless. It was a terrible purchase. I should’ve went with something else. Every time I think about it I get angry.

Hi guys, I know this thread is a little older, but I wanted to ask if there were anymore reviews/comparisons of the Kiox and Smartphone hub? I have the smartphone hub now, and it was supposed to be the kiox. My LBS i think mixed up the order, and i felt it wouldn't be so bad with the SPH (I was too anxious to start using the bike and I didn't feel like waiting for the Kiox to come in). Is having the Kiox really worth it over the SPH?

As I side note, I heard that the wiring for both is the same - and you could theoretically dismount the SPH and mount the Kiox instead - within a few minutes. Does anyone know if this is true? It might not really be needed since the SPH has a lot of the same functionality but I really like the compact design of the Kiox.

PS. Let's say someone were to just add a garmin or something else to their ebike. Is there a good way to do this? I'm kind of torn right now... I want something that gives good navigation and keeps track of all your stats. Thanks

Back