Bosch range boost - questions

An update on the Range Extender questions. I have just taken delivery of a Haibike Allmtn 5 with the Performance Line CX 85Nm motor and the range extender.

Myself and the bike dealer found out that you can not charge the batteries from the in-frame charging point. You have to charge them from the charging port in the bottom of the range extender bottom battery holder. This means that the in-frame battery connector does not charge even the internal tube battery. It's not a problem - but anyone thinking of buying the extender should know this.
On my 2018 Riese & Muller Delite Mountain with dual batteries, both batteries can be changed in situ on while on the bike 85% in one then 85% charging the second battery, then simultaneously both to 100%.

On my Trek Allant 9.9s with a 635 internal battery and the external range boost that hosts a 500 powerpack, both batteries are charged in the same manner.

What you are experiencing is either a specific problem with your bike and a glitch in the Haibike set up for range boost.

An update on the Range Extender questions. I have just taken delivery of a Haibike Allmtn 5 with the Performance Line CX 85Nm motor and the range extender.

Myself and the bike dealer found out that you can not charge the batteries from the in-frame charging point. You have to charge them from the charging port in the bottom of the range extender bottom battery holder. This means that the in-frame battery connector does not charge even the internal tube battery. It's not a problem - but anyone thinking of buying the extender should know this.

On another point I have found the power assist levels very strange. There seems to be no difference between the power assist produced between Eco and Tour mode. They are the same output. Also the eMTB mode has a delay in kicking in, which makes it useless when you need instant extra power assistance. I'm not sure if this is a fault or just how these power levels work on the CX motor. Turbo mode works well. I also have a 2015 Haibike with the standard Performance Line motor and there are very distinct differences between the 4 modes - so I know it's not my imagination.

Anyone got any views of the CX power mode issue?

Cheers,
Paul
Sounds Like Haibike messed up. My understanding is the Range Booster on Trek ebikes like the Allant are supposed to charge and discharge simultaneously from the in-frame charging point.

On another point I have found the power assist levels very strange. There seems to be no difference between the power assist produced between Eco and Tour mode. They are the same output. Also the eMTB mode has a delay in kicking in, which makes it useless when you need instant extra power assistance. I'm not sure if this is a fault or just how these power levels work on the CX motor. Turbo mode works well. I also have a 2015 Haibike with the standard Performance Line motor and there are very distinct differences between the 4 modes - so I know it's not my imagination.

Cheers,
Paul
As Alaskan points out, my batteries charge just like his - virtually simultaneously.
Per your power boost question, I have never experienced any additional “boost” on any assist level with the addition of the range extender battery. However, I may have misinterpreted your question.

Cheers,
Paul
I don't have eMTB on mine, as I have the performance speed motor. I believe the eMTB mode is a mode that adjusts to your terrain / needs over time by sensing changes to your ride. I think if you need a quick instant boost for Say a really steep hill that's coming up, then turbo mode would work better as you mentioned. I have heard people say they like eMTB mode but I think it's supposed to be used long term on your current ride, and turbo is when you really need a quick boost / torque for a hill.

Never used eMTB, so maybe someone that has can chime in.

Cheers,
Paul
All three of our Trek ebikes (2 Allant+7 & Rail 5) use the 4th Gen CX and I’ve got all the updates as of the end of August. The EMTB-Lite (or Touring+) mode and EMTB mode are different in that they both add more power as you add more power but EMTB mode adds more power, supposedly up to 300+ percent of rider effort. They also both (for me anyway) give me more efficient battery usage and much less frequent need/want to shift.
I certainly note a significant difference between Eco and EMTB-Lite (or Touring+) modes, especially as I increase my personal effort to the pedals. Certainly in EMTB mode but there is a bigger difference depending on how much effort you’re putting on the pedals. At times I have noticed that as I pedal hard from the bottom of a hill going up, the power assist comes on at the moment my effort is actually getting resistance from gravity. That might seem like a delay I guess but it feels pretty natural to me.

Sounds Like Haibike messed up. My understanding is the Range Booster on Trek ebikes like the Allant are supposed to charge and discharge simultaneously from the in-frame charging point.
I have the Range boost on an Allant+ 7s, there is no doubt they both charge simultaneously on this bike. There is no additional power boost with this battery. I'm on my second Allant+ 7s the first being programmed with the EMTB mode and my new one received this month is factory. I honestly don't see much difference between either mode. I would say it is quite subtle.

Back