Bosch Kiox Electric Bike Display Details

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
[UPDATE] I got to spend some time with a production version Kiox and go deep into all of the settings to create an overview video and post recently. Check it out here. The following post was pre-launch and more of an overview with some Bosch reps showing the heart rate monitor :)

Hi guys, Bosch sent me this press release about their new electric bike display called the Kiox. It sounds like this on-board computer will be the premium offering for 2019 models and I'm guessing many years to come. Past models have used the grayscale Intuvia and Purion models in the US with an optional color Nyon upgrade with GPS in parts of Europe. I'll get more info and videos, as usual, during my trip to Interbike in September ;)

What stands out to me about the Kiox so far is:
  • Adaptive Color LCD that adjusts brightness based on surroundings (like many smartphone screens). I'm guessing it's also transflective (like GameBoy Advance screens and some of the Brose button pads), easy to read in harsh lighting. It will be easier to interpret your level of assist at a glance with different colors indicating power level vs. reading words and numbers like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or Eco, Tour, Sport, Turbo
  • Lower positioning bolted to the stem cap (by default) and extending up over the stem vs. on top of the handlebars compared to the Intuvia, so it's less likely to take damage if a bike tips or flips. It sounds like Bosch will allow custom integration where the display is built into stems which reminds me of the BESV Lion LX1 or maybe some brands will embed it into the top tube like the Stromer ST2.
  • Bluetooth connection so you can sync a heart rate monitor and get feedback about beats per minute and estimated calories burned. By connecting your phone and a Bosch ebike app, you'll be able to update the software on the Kiox without the need for cables and dongles (and possibly without needing to visit a dealer, as is the case with current models).
  • Removable, just like the Intuvia and Nyon, so you can take it with you and reduce scratches at bike racks and weather wear (sun, rain, dust), it uses a magnetic connection vs. purely mechanical plastic clip.
  • The display still relies on an independent button pad with six buttons (Walk Mode on top, Left and Right to navigate menus, + and - to adjust assist levels, and i to select), so it will be easy to adjust assist settings and menus while riding, without taking your hand off of the left grip.
  • The display has a power button and dedicated lights button just below the 1.9" (48mm) LCD, just like the Intuvia, but seems to have removed the reset and i buttons.
bosch-kiox-electric-bike-display-diagram-labels.jpgbosch-kiox-closeup-buttons.jpgbosch-kiox-electric-bike-display-closeup-rendering.jpgbosch-kiox-ebike-display-stock-photo.jpgbosch-kiox-ebike-display-action-shot.jpgbosch-kiox-electric-bike-display.jpgbosch-kiox-ebike-display-closeup.jpg

The video below was shot by me at Interbike 2018 and shows some interaction with the display and button pad. I love that Bosch moved to a battery percentage and finer infographic, vs. the current 5-bar readout. The Kiox shows power output in watts and pedal cadence by arrowing left and right through the different screens. One screen is divided into four parts showing trip distance, range estimate, power in watts, and heart rate beats per minute.Turbo is red, eMTB is orange, Tour is green, Eco is Blue, and Off is grey. You might leave the display active to show your heart rate and run integrated lights but pedal a bike manually with off mode.

These are the video notes: 2019 Bosch Electric Bike Updates: Kiox Display, Heart Rate Monitor, Bosch Ebike App, PowerTube

While attending Interbike 2018, I was invited to visit the Bosch Ebike booth to speak with Claudia Wasko and Jonathan Weinart to see the new Kiox color LCD display panel and button pad, which is set to arrive in October 2018 to brands and show up at dealers sometime in 2019 (Jonathan mentioned winter 2019). I was told that the display functions as a training partner and is designed for active riding. It connects to the bike using a magnetic system that secures it firmly but also makes it removable. This means that if you crash, the mount for the display system is less likely to break... and the screen on the Kiox uses Gorilla Glass that is super tough. There is an optional set screw underneath which can be used to more permanently fix the screen for rental units and bike show types of situations. They tried to keep the Kiox clean, compact, and optimize the reading angle. It looked great at the show but I'm curious how it will look in bright sunlight? I noticed that the display was well protected above the stem of the bike vs. up high on the handlebar. Bosch can provide an optional socket to install the display on custom stems or in the frame tubing of electric bikes... much like the Stromer or Smartmotion display systems.

One feature that I really appreciate about the new Kiox display is that there is a Micro USB port built into the bottom that can be used to charge accessories and run diagnostics. This is similar to the Intuvia display panel. The smaller Purion display had a Micro USB for diagnostics only, not charging. The button pad on their controller felt very consistent, much better than the Purion control pad which didn't always click as easily. Buttons include Power and Light on the display as well as Left, Right, +, -, Walk Mode, and Select on the control pad. There are lots of settings buried within the Kiox display including My eBike, Bluetooth, System Settings, Information.

The display unit has a day and night mode, where the background changes from white to black so it reduces distraction or becomes easier to read, and this can change automatically with the built in light sensor. When changing assist levels, the Kiox goes from Grey (Off), Blue (Eco), Green (Tour), Yellow (Sport or eMTB depending on the motor), and Red (Turbo). This allows riders to more quickly determine which level of assist is in use without requiring you to read. In addition to range readouts, Bosch has now moved to battery percentage. This is a big improvement over the 5-bar battery infographic used on the Purion and Intuvia. Bosch also sells a display called the Nyon which is only available in Europe.

Display readouts include: Clock, Assist Level, Battery Infographic with Percentage, Current Speed (MPH or KM/H), Range, Trip Distance (Odometer), Trip Time (Minutes), Power (Watts), Cadence (RPM), Average Speed, Max Speed. The display uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to connect with smartphones for use with GPS and future Bosch Ebike app. It can receive updates over the air using smartphones. One of the immediate uses for Bluetooth with the Kiox is heart rate monitoring. You can connect to a bracelet or chest harness and it will readout your heart rate almost realtime so you can track fitness :) Jonathan used a Mio heart rate bracelet but said that Fitbit and others would be compatible. Kiox does not have GPS built in, but it sounds like it could take advantage of your smartphone GPS eventually.

Other updates from our talk include Bosch being recognized with an innovation award in 2018 for their PowerTube battery design. I was able to test and review this battery on several 2018 models from Bulls and Riese & Müller. It weighs a bit more than the PowerPack 500 and requires some frame customization work, but looks beautiful and generally positions weight lower on the frame. Claudia talked about the current trend in e-road bikes and electric gravel grinders as she took me over towards a Trek with Bosch Performance Line Speed and Cannondale with Active Line Plus motor.

To run the forums, host the site, and travel, I have introduced a service fee for my reviews and some in-depth videos like this. Bosch did not pay for this video, but I have received advertising dollars from them in the past and plan on covering bikes that use them throughout 2019. My goal is to be transparent and unbiased, this video and post are not meant to be an endorsement.

>>>

This is the official Bosch press release:

Kiox: the new on-board computer from Bosch
Compact color display for sporty eBikers
  • Bosch presents an on-board computer for sports usage at Interbike 2018
  • Color display features a clean appearance and intuitive operation
  • Bluetooth connection with a heart rate monitor ensures the best possible training
Irvine, CA – For 2019 models, Bosch eBike Systems introduces Kiox, an on-board computer specially developed for the needs of ambitious riders. The small and robust color display is controlled by a separate control unit on the handlebar and provides the eBiker with data on speed, personal performance, cadence, battery state of charge, and more. In addition, the on-board computer can be combined with an optional heart rate monitor, allowing eBikers to train in the best possible way. More connectivity functions will follow.

“Kiox is our best and brightest display with more useful features than ever packed into such a compact unit,” said Claudia Wasko, Vice President & General Manager of Bosch eBike Systems Americas. “With its ability to connect to the rider’s heart-rate via wearable sensors, Kiox also marks our first step in North America connecting eBikes to the eBiker’s digital world.”

Focusing on the essentials
Bicycle manufacturers can choose to install the compact and handy display with the Bosch mount or integrate it practically into the handlebar stem by means of custom solutions. This leads to different design variants as well as a minimalistic eBike look. Kiox impresses with its clean appearance, vibrant color scheme and clearly structured user interface—just a few of the reasons Kiox was recognized for a “Best New Product” Award at Eurobike 2018.

Optimized for demanding use
Another highlight: the display lighting. It automatically adapts to the surroundings. The 1.9" high-resolution color display is perfectly readable even in direct sunlight and in the dark. The central position on the handlebar stem provides an ideal reading angle. Robust Gorilla Glass protects the display against scratching and other damage. The magnetic holder provides a secure grip and allows easy removal and attachment of the on-board computer. The integrated display battery provides up to 20 minutes of power in the off-board mode and displays a summary of the day's activities. The on-board computer is controlled by the separate Remote Compact control unit on the handlebar. The palpable pressure from the buttons of the new rugged remote gives the eBiker clear feedback – easy, safe, and intuitive.

The smart on-board computer for athletes
Kiox supports eBikers wishing to improve their fitness. The on-board computer notifies eBikers whether they are going above or below the average speed, motivating them to perform better. With an optimal Bluetooth-connected heart rate monitor, Kiox users can check their current pulse range at all times, enabling them to get the most out of their training. The Bluetooth low-energy interface also allows users to download Kiox software updates to the on-board computer without requiring a cable connection. The future will see even further functions connecting eBikers to the new on-board computer.
Kiox will be available to test ride at several upcoming events including:
  • The Boogaloo eMTB Race & Demo at the Northstar Free-Ride Festival (Sept 15-16 @ Northstar Lodge at Big Springs, Truckee, CA)
  • Interbike’s OutDoor Demo (Sept 16-17 @ Northstar Village, Truckee, CA)
  • Interbike Expo’s “The Circuit epowered by Bosch” (Sept. 18-20, @ the Reno-Sparks Convention Center, Reno NV),
  • The Mammoth Mountain Boogaloo eMTB Race & Demo with Kamikaze Bike Games (Sept 22-23, @ Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge, Mammoth Lakes, CA)
It will also be on display at the Bosch booth (#154, next to the Electric Theater) at Interbike Marketweek Expo Sept 18-20, along with the PowerTube 500 in-tube battery, which was unveiled earlier this year and is now available on many models from some of the more than 30 brands epowered by Bosch in North America.

Last edited:
Looks great, thanks for the update; just a couple questions:

Can older models upgrade to it like Intuvia can to Nyon & Purion?

"Removable, just like the Intuvia and Purion..." - Am I missing something? Purions are easily removable?

Am I right to assume that this will be available in the US, along with the applicable apps, unlike the Nyon?
It seems really weak on Bosch's part to have restricted the Nyon's availability in the US.
That being said this looks like a nice upgrade from the Intuvia, which by now seems somewhat outdated.
It also seems to incorporate features from the new Flyon controller.
Talking of Flyon, does anyone know when they will be available in the US?

Looks great, thanks for the update; just a couple questions:

Can older models upgrade to it like Intuvia can to Nyon & Purion?

"Removable, just like the Intuvia and Purion..." - Am I missing something? Purions are easily removable?

In an earlier thread (see below), we were informed no aftermarket at this time. You need to by a new bike to get battery percentage .... See thread below here in Bosch sub forum.

You are correct — the Purion is not removable (easily).

Am I right to assume that this will be available in the US, along with the applicable apps, unlike the Nyon?
It seems really weak on Bosch's part to have restricted the Nyon's availability in the US.
That being said this looks like a nice upgrade from the Intuvia, which by now seems somewhat outdated.
It also seems to incorporate features from the new Flyon controller.
Talking of Flyon, does anyone know when they will be available in the US?

Additionally, I believe Kiox will be a premium upgrade. In Europe at least, COBI will be the default unless something has changed. Since COBI isn’t shipping to the US, I am not clear on what the base config is for US models 2019+.

Great catch @LimboJim, I meant to say "removable like the Intuvia and Nyon" but said Purion by accident (just fixed it). I'm guessing that the display could be an upgrade because the existing three are interchangeable if you buy the wires (from what dealers have told me)... but I reached out to Bosch directly to get some clarification on this and the COBI question.

[UPDATE] I heard back from Bosch and was told that they do not plan on selling the Kiox independently. One welcome update is that it will have a Micro-USB port for both diagnostics AND charging! This is much like the Intuvia and Nyon, whereas the Purion did not have an active charging USB. As for the COBI system not being sold in the US right now, it sounds like Bosch is pursuing UL and other safety certification before entering this market. You may see the product pre-installed on bikes from IZIP, Haibike, and others, but it just hasn't fully launched in North America yet. It does not appear that the COBI is compatible with the Kiox mount but perhaps they will develop a different interface, to be magnetic and work in the future. Neat to see magnetic Monkey Link accessories and now this display panel from Bosch.

@AlanDB I doubt the Kiox will have GPS because this requires more memory and software updates ongoing. Given the smaller portrait oriented screen size (relative to Nyon) it just doesn't seem like a fit for now... but I could be wrong. Most people have GPS on their phones and now there's more room to mount a phone to the handlebar of an ebike with the Kiox being positioned over the stem.

@johnt3 I doubt that most ebikes will have the new Kiox display because it probably costs more. What I see today with the Purion and Intuvia is a tiering setup where less expensive ebikes might opt for the PowerPack 400 and Purion. Some of it comes down to use case, most electric mountain bikes use Purion because it's more protected and stealthy. I bet that a lot of e-mountain bikes will move to Kiox... I hope it has a USB charging port on it :/

Last edited:
I like several things about this new Kiox including the contrast of the bright color display on a black background. I would still prefer a Nyon though because of the Nyon's GPS/mapping functions. I wish Bosch would bring the Nyon to the US, but the introduction of the Kiox probably makes that even less likely.

Is this the display that will be on all 2019 bikes that use the Bosch system ( Like Electra) or just higher end bikes?

Riese & Müller now has a bike on their web site with the Kiox as an optional upgrade to the standard Intuvia. The upgrade cost is about USD 120.

I like several things about this new Kiox including the contrast of the bright color display on a black background. I would still prefer a Nyon though because of the Nyon's GPS/mapping functions. I wish Bosch would bring the Nyon to the US, but the introduction of the Kiox probably makes that even less likely.

Buy a Nyon 1G off eBay and the controller separately. I did and so did several others.
The conversion is simple and the result is great.
You don't need Bosch permission to do this upgrade.
:D

Buy a Nyon 1G off eBay and the controller separately. I did and so did several others.
I have considered that, but it sounds like in the US, you have to jump through hoops for the app and map subscriptions.

Sweetwater-Will the 1gig Nyon interface work without the controller upgrade?
What are the added options you have with the controller made for Nyon? Thanks!

There is a Micro USB port built into the bottom that can be used to charge accessories and run diagnostics.
Has anyone actually physically connected a Kiox to anything else using the USB Micro A port? (This is altogether different from 'knowing' that it can be done or seeing it demonstrated by a Bosch representative or service agent.)
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone actually physically connected a Kiox to anything else using the Micro USB port? (This is altogether different from 'knowing' that it can be done or seeing it demonstrated by a Bosch representative.)
… David
Not tried. But interestingly in kiox settings I am refered to the bosch connect app, only to find that kiox is not supported (Yet?) Also , I can't connect my garmin hr strap as it appears that ant+ isn't supported either!
I am thinking it was a mistake to go with kiox because it's been released before it's complete..

Has anyone actually physically connected a Kiox to anything else using the Micro USB port? (This is altogether different from 'knowing' that it can be done or seeing it demonstrated by a Bosch representative or service agent.)
… David
Hi David! I'm working on a video today for a non-sample Bosch Kiox and it does put out 5 volts and 1 full amp. We tested it with two iPhones and it worked both times to charge them. Also, the menu now goes all the way around so you don't have to click back a bunch of times to get to the start ;)

Ideally Kiox needs to connect with the bosch connect app like Nyon and like it advises onscreen.
Also, and I hope to be corrected here..
If someone asked me how many miles I hade done on the RM, I wouldnt know because unlike Nyon and Intuvia, that information isnt available on any of the Kiox screens and I cant find any hidden ones either.

Hi David! We tested it with two iPhones and it worked both times to charge them.
Thanks, Court. I have summoned up the courage to keep my iPhone charged on a ride by connecting it to the Kiox – the first time I have ever deliberately used a 'wrong' cable, but I will still have qualms about putting a round(ish) peg into a square hole (meaning plugging a Micro-B cable into a Micro-A receptacle)!

Explanation: The Kiox has a Micro-A socket (female) which is virtually unknown even to computer nerds and specialist connector shops.
If someone asked me how many miles I hade done on the RM, I wouldnt know because unlike Nyon and Intuvia, that information isnt available on any of the Kiox screens and I can't find any hidden ones either.
Pete, take your Kiox off your ebike and then press the on/off switch. Your Kiox will scroll through six info screens:
  1. Battery
  2. Trip Distance
  3. Ride Time
  4. Average Speed
  5. Maximum Speed
  6. Total Distance
#2 to #3 are for the ride you have just finished; #6 is for all time.

My expectation is that the Kiox is going to be a really good computer; my gripe is that Bosch and R&M did not disclose that it was still a work in progress with shortcomings. Using a deprecated (meaning obsolete and best avoided) Micro-A connection is unfathomable.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Back