Bosch E-Bike Updates for 2018

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

I spent some time with Claudia Wasko and Jonathan Weinert from Bosch yesterday and just got the video up. We covered the new Active Line and Active Line Plus in depth as well as the PowerTube and eShift. I mixed in a bit of Haibike footage which shows how their PowerTube implementation looks. Will be on the showfloor again today looking at stuff.

Awesome video. Exciting times with so many innovations forthcoming. What I wanted to know with the size and weight improvements to the Active Line motors: when will we see similar improvements on the speed motor? The CX seems very compact and now the Active Line motors are too - but seems the speed motor is a bit of a laggard. 2019?

Hi guys,

I spent some time with Claudia Wasko and Jonathan Weinert from Bosch yesterday and just got the video up. We covered the new Active Line and Active Line Plus in depth as well as the PowerTube and eShift. I mixed in a bit of Haibike footage which shows how their PowerTube implementation looks. Will be on the showfloor again today looking at stuff.

Great video, Court. Jonathan mentioned he's giving a talk concerning the history of the mid-drive. Will this be videoed so us end-user types can watch it later? Thanks.

Thank you Court for mentioning the PURION display is inferior to the Intuvia. Purion is not removable - outrageous for locking up any expensive bike in a city. Also, Intuvia can charge devices via USB mini. It's easier to read and centered where it should be.
Bosch, you're not helping the consumer - bring the Nyon over and cut the nonsense of sticking Americans with the purion. For several years now, cheaper ebikes have been cursed with non-removable displays - that's why I first got interested in Bosch - they seemed to put the consumer first. No longer the case, I'm afraid...

Thank you Court for mentioning the PURION display is inferior to the Intuvia. Purion is not removable - outrageous for locking up any expensive bike in a city. Also, Intuvia can charge devices via USB mini. It's easier to read and centered where it should be.
Bosch, you're not helping the consumer - bring the Nyon over and cut the nonsense of sticking Americans with the purion. For several years now, cheaper ebikes have been cursed with non-removable displays - that's why I first got interested in Bosch - they seemed to put the consumer first. No longer the case, I'm afraid...

Disagree, I like the Purion. I don't want a big bulky color display, don't need it. Nice and simple. Make it removable, sure - that would be handy. Charge from usb - hell yes. It's not the Purion that leaves me worried about locking up my expensive bike - It's my bike! Need more GPS Tracking options.

awesome updates, thanks court!

i like the purion, too - my bike has the intuvia but i've tried them both and i kind of prefer the small form factor. but hey, we got options! my guess is that nyon isn't really ever coming to the us, but whatever the next version of the nyon is will be coming...probably.

the new active line looks interesting, though. definitely want to try one and see how smooth it is...idk my cx feels pretty smooth already though so where can it go from here lol

The Purion display is another cheaper alternative which seems to be the direction ebikes are heading.
I'd prefer a better display than the Intuvia which was the US standard.
And I'd really like a version of the Nyon.
I'm watching the other components of these bikes become cheaper and less sturdy.
It's reminding me of another race to the bottom of pricing with decreasing quality and reliability as the result.
These bikes are expensive if they are designed and built to last.
Otherwise, they don't compete with other transportation options.
They are originally meant to replace them, not to be in the garage in the toy bin.

Disagree, I like the Purion. I don't want a big bulky color display, don't need it. Nice and simple. Make it removable, sure - that would be handy. Charge from usb - hell yes. It's not the Purion that leaves me worried about locking up my expensive bike - It's my bike! Need more GPS Tracking options.
the Bosch Nyon display has GPS. Alas, Americans cannot have it say the Germans...I don't need a color display either but I absolutely insist on a removable display ans Purion isn't removable.
At this point in time, anti-theft features should be a given! Haibike, don't charge me $10,000 and not give me gps. My 2 cents.

the Bosch Nyon display has GPS. Alas, Americans cannot have it say the Germans...I don't need a color display either but I absolutely insist on a removable display ans Purion isn't removable.
At this point in time, anti-theft features should be a given! Haibike, don't charge me $10,000 and not give me gps. My 2 cents.

Oh I'm not saying Bosch shouldn't bring the Nyon over as an option, they absolutely should. The purion has it's place though, it's a perfectly fine display for lower end ebikes. I might sway from Bosch on my next bike though, they are so very restrictive I find it a little over the top.

Oh I'm not saying Bosch shouldn't bring the Nyon over as an option, they absolutely should. The purion has it's place though, it's a perfectly fine display for lower end ebikes. I might sway from Bosch on my next bike though, they are so very restrictive I find it a little over the top.
You may want to read this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/bosch-plans-to-acquire-cobi.14594/

It’s my opinion that Bosch will utilize the COBI software integration to replace the current Nyon. Bosch can easily handle software development where it’s necessary for their drive systems; heck they invented the CAN bus system that’s used on these ebikes as well as many automotive platforms. But I believe they view the COBI as a better solution for connectivity beyond what is offered by Nyon. Sure, they first developed Nyon for the European market because that’s where the bulk of the market is. But when you view expansion into a broader market, with its far broader set of rules/laws, it probably makes more sense in business terms to go this route.

Interesting, thanks for the link Sonoboy. For myself personally, I don't think I want to have to use my phone as the display on my bike - but that's just me.

Back