Bosch CX motor software upgrade

Alphbetadog

Looks like Bosch is coming out with a software update. Replacing Sport mode with the new eMTB mode, "and is capable of adapting itself to the rider and the route on-the-fly." "The eMTB mode independently switches between Tour, Sport and Turbo depending on how much force the rider exerts on the pedals. Instead of the former Sport pedal-assist that resulted in 210% of the rider’s exertion, this can now vary between 120% and 300%."

http://ebike-mtb.com/en/emtb-mode-bosch-cx-review/

Cool! Should make up for some of the switching I have to do whenever I stop in front of a big root or super rocky section.

jeff

Any idea if this upgrade is specific for the CX motor or will it it also work on the Performance Line motor on my 2016 XDuro?

I can't say that it interests me, and also completely disagree with the author of the article, where he states that tour mode is "frequently too weak for off-road riding".

Like many people that I know who use their eMTB's off road, I hardly ever use sport mode, and other than on one occasion, have never required turbo. Virtually all of my riding is riding is completed in either eco mode or tour mode.

No official word on when this will be available stateside for those of you who were wondering. It's not clear if it's possible to update at the dealer level. At the moment it's only possible at the OEM level. I'll do my best to update here when I know more.

This is a cross post, can't remember where I put it first.
The eMTB upgrade is supposed to be available in the US on/around July 1st.
It's a freebie that is designed to increase efficiency and increase battery life.
By replacing sport mode with a sliding scale assist, you can leave it up to the software to determine how much it will contribute.
It also provides a marginal boost in torque output for the motor.
This should be a significant upgrade but is only for the Performance Cx with 20 mph limit.
It won't work on the Pedelec S/28 mph version of the Bosch motor.
What say the Euro's on this forum, you've had it available for 3 months now?

At about the 24:20 minute mark Court and another guy discuss it in the review. And again at the 33 min mark the actual ride.

Last edited:
Dozens of articles on the topic but none explains how to update. What is the point? No video on youtube either...

Dozens of articles on the topic but none explains how to update. What is the point? No video on youtube either...
Bosch has chosen to allow only their dealers to upgrade the firmware. This has its good and bad points, but the bottom line is you need to consult with your LBS on the matter. You may want to check out Ravi's review of his Bulls CX drive update before you undertake this; it may not serve your particular needs.
Link: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/emtb-mode-on-bulls.14034/

Last edited:
Thanks I'll check it out. Bummer for the update, i had the bike imported from Germany to Norway so if i'll want and update i'll need to pay, probably. Any way to check which firmare i have btw? I broke my display rails and socket on my first ride anyway, need new ones

Agreed. The only people 'needing' the top assist levels are people that didn't ride mb's before e assist.

Thanks I'll check it out. Bummer for the update, i had the bike imported from Germany to Norway so if i'll want and update i'll need to pay, probably. Any way to check which firmare i have btw? I broke my display rails and socket on my first ride anyway, need new ones
Here's where you can download info on your particular display. I know for the Intuvia for English the data you need is on page 5, but this may change for other languages.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/downloads/

@Sonoboy Interesting. I'm not experienced enough in either MTB and e-MTBs to make my mind about updating from this, so i'll wait.

I had my second ride today (not all terrain, but played with some ditches etc). I realized I don't have any gear shift recommandation eventhough its ON in the settings. I don't seem to have walk assist either, which is a pain when I want to take my back out from where i work (narrow stairs). Any help? My display says the following:

DISP V 5.7.20
DU V 1.7.0.0
DUNS 7181105534
BAT V 1.6.0.0

On my previous post i mentionned having damaged my socket and display. Don't do the same mistake as me: I wouldn't dare tightening my handlebar too much, oh boy that was a mistake. I was riding and it came loose, And rotate against the clock (against me) so the lover part of the display cracked (extremely bad quality - should be metal) and the display was kicked out of its rails, broking them. I had to tape the display to the sockets for it to keep electronic contact to the socket. Of course the backside of the disply is not sold separatly, so I had to buy the whole thing again. Good buisness for Bosch...

EDIT: I realized that when i shift modes i does eco > turbo (on the small scale) but that when it displays "sport" on the scale it always briefly displays "emtb" on the main screen (instead of the clock or range etc.). is my motor updtated eventhough the bike was produce in France in 2016 (bought in Germany, imported to Norway, Moustache Trail 6).

EDIT2: For the walk assist: Found on another forum - it's kinda NOT German to make things complicated...

"Click on the walk assist button as you've been doing.
When 'Walk assist +' appears on the display, push and hold the '+' button on the handlebar control.
After a second or two, the bike will move forward.
Assist level won't make a lot of difference, provided it's set to something, not 'off'."

Last edited:
The ability to use Walk Assist is determined NOT by your LBS but by the OEM (Cube, Bulls, Trek, etc.) and implemented by the Bosch firmware update. Each manufacturer decides if they want this feature active on their bikes and then ask Bosch to withhold activation on their models. At least that's the way I understand it.

Regarding your firmware readout numbers, DU equals the drive unit. I'm wondering if this should match the battery revision number. Perhaps some dealer can clue us in on this. I don't know if Bosch requires you to sign a non-disclosure agreement on this or not.

The ability to use Walk Assist is determined NOT by your LBS but by the OEM (Cube, Bulls, Trek, etc.) and implemented by the Bosch firmware update. Each manufacturer decides if they want this feature active on their bikes and then ask Bosch to withhold activation on their models. At least that's the way I understand it.

Regarding your firmware readout numbers, DU equals the drive unit. I'm wondering if this should match the battery revision number. Perhaps some dealer can clue us in on this. I don't know if Bosch requires you to sign a non-disclosure agreement on this or not.

Thanks i answered a few seconds before you and found out for Walk Assist.

Remains the eMTB and the gear recommandation mysteries tought, will send a mail to the dealer (Moustache are hopeless when it comes to answer mails)

Sorry for the spamming but the story continues... so my (broken) display and my engine were updated by the seller before being sent (kind of him). Today I just received the replacement display and it's a old version 5.6.0.0. Is there a risk of conflict knowing the motor is updated? I can't try my bike for a while, I broke a rib bone today (this bike is a curse, but damn how good it is when it works! :p )

I took my Townie Go Bosch Performance motor in for some work at the local dealer. For some reason the battery wouldn't charge beyond 75% and it would turn on in my bike. Well they upgraded the software to 1.7 cleared out all the errors and the bike works better than before. So I would say from my experience that you should defininately upgrade you system to 1.7 from 1.6, I feel that the bike runs smoother, and it also seems that I have more range on my bike for some reason. Maybe just my imagination but it seems that it shows more range than before. Also I didn't really like version 1.6, it seems I started having problems when I upgraded to 1.6. Bottom line upgrade to 1.7

Back