Bolton controller

Was it quite straightforward to fit like for like connections.

It was plug and play for me. The only thing on a Rad Mini is mounting. I was able to use the existing u bolts with longer screws and then just extra securing with wire ties. I'll upload some pictures later.

I also built a 52v 31 AH battery which I mounted in a waterproof box on my rear rack. I also kept the stock RAD battery for a backup. The 52v battery increases the top speed to 30mph if interested. I got a RAD XTC 90 to RAD battery adapter from Bolton to make both batteries possible. If I run out of battery I can just unplug it from the connector and plug in the backup RAD battery.

Rad has no Class 3 bikes available, nor have they ever. To my knowledge, you're capped at something like 23-24mph with a Rad controller. Any Rad controller. The KT controller can be set to any max speed you like pretty easily.
Well, It's true that the controller is a limiting factor but also the engine. Because on my 250 watt RadRhino I can set the speed limit up to 40 km/h on the default controller which is about 25 mph, however the 250 watt motor cannot handle that, I gets stuck at around 32 - 36 km/u (20 - 22 mph) depending the wind. I am sure that 35a controller will squeeze a little more out of the engine, but if I remember correctly in one of Boltons videos it is also mentioned that the top speed will not really increase (at least not with the 250 watt motor).

Main reason for me to change the stock controller is that Throttle only mode in europe is limited to 6 km/u (about 4 mph). I do not expect the the 250 watt motor to get me to 32 without pedaling, but I would be really nice If I could go 20 - 25 km/u without pedaling, just using the throttle.

Re: throttle, oh heck yah! Now that's a good reason - IF - you could find a RAD controller on the cheap!

Well, It's true that the controller is a limiting factor but also the engine. Because on my 250 watt RadRhino I can set the speed limit up to 40 km/h on the default controller which is about 25 mph, however the 250 watt motor cannot handle that, I gets stuck at around 32 - 36 km/u (20 - 22 mph) depending the wind. I am sure that 35a controller will squeeze a little more out of the engine, but if I remember correctly in one of Boltons videos it is also mentioned that the top speed will not really increase (at least not with the 250 watt motor).

Main reason for me to change the stock controller is that Throttle only mode in europe is limited to 6 km/u (about 4 mph). I do not expect the the 250 watt motor to get me to 32 without pedaling, but I would be really nice If I could go 20 - 25 km/u without pedaling, just using the throttle.
Higher amps usage gives you a better acceleration. Battery voltage determines top speed and this is unchanged with Bolton's kit.

Higher amps usage gives you a better acceleration. Battery voltage determines top speed and this is unchanged with Bolton's kit.

Exactly, the number of amps produced to the motor through the controller gives you higher torque and higher voltage gives you greater top speed.

One big advantage to using the 35 Amp upgraded controller is that it allows the use of a 52v battery. With the upgrade kit and a 52v battery, you get a massive boost in acceleration, torque and top speed... Something to definitely consider.

Agree higher amps gives better acceleration, BUT, you will also see more speed, as all speed restrictions are removed with a Bolton kit (KT controller). That's assuming the motor is capable of more speed too though....

Excited for you. Can't wait!
I am postponing my trip from August to September because some parts won't arrive at my doorstep in time. People are talking about upgrading and rabbit hole, suffice to say that I took an excavator this time. I hope everything is going to work out (the parts and fitting everything on the bike) since I considered myself quite bad with my hands.

Hopefully I can fully do the work by mid August and do some run tests by then.

I am postponing my trip from August to September because some parts won't arrive at my doorstep in time. People are talking about upgrading and rabbit hole, suffice to say that I took an excavator this time. I hope everything is going to work out (the parts and fitting everything on the bike) since I considered myself quite bad with my hands.

Hopefully I can fully do the work by mid August and do some run tests by then.

Awesome, let us know how it eventually goes and thanks for sharing.

Rob

Back