Bolton controller on RR ST1

C14 at 1 and C5 at 1 gets this setup as much to my liking as possible. Quick ride up the street == peaking <100w on PAS1. Will do a long ride Sunday and report back. O, and it is quiet.

I too am very curious about specifics on torque sensor, but @JTK77 seems resolute it can't happen. Details from either/both of you would be appreciated.

Installing a torque sensor of ANY type is pretty easy. It doesn't get tricky until you try to get it to communicate with the controller. Which leads me to wonder if you have done something like this successfully, or is it something that SHOULD work? If you were successfull in adding a torque sensor to a bike that didn't have one previously, I'd like more detail if you wouldn't mind, starting with the information on the controller that you used. Maybe a link to it?
I never said Ive done it did ? I do know that if it were possible on his set up it would solve his problem. Cadence sensor bikes are in most cases inferior to any bike with a torque sensor, unless you want a moped.

Last edited by a moderator:
C14 at 1 and C5 at 1 gets this setup as much to my liking as possible. Quick ride up the street == peaking <100w on PAS1. Will do a long ride Sunday and report back. O, and it is quiet.

I too am very curious about specifics on torque sensor, but @JTK77 seems resolute it can't happen. Details from either/both of you would be appreciated.
KT controller does not support this function. Theoretically some KTs can be fitted with custom firmware and wiring to make torque sensor work.

Hey Jackass, I never said Ive done it did ? I do know that if it were possible on his set up it would solve his problem. Cadence sensor bikes are in most cases inferior to any bike with a torque sensor, unless you want a moped.
That's just about what I figured. You have no clue what you're talking about. Thank you so much for your contribution. Very helpful/educational.

Had the chance to get a long ride in today, as above C14 at 1 and C5 at 1 provides the best characteristics for me. Motor still makes some noise, guess I'll live with it until either the motor or controller konks out.

PAS engagement is satisfactory, quite happy with peak draw (tbh I only used PAS0, 1, 2). Overall rideability is good. Blipped the throttle a few times and saw peaks over 1300, can't imagine this is great for the motor - but since I rarely use throttle, not a huge deal to me.

@AHicks again very grateful for your advice and encouragement, otherwise I may have sent this back!

Had the chance to get a long ride in today, as above C14 at 1 and C5 at 1 provides the best characteristics for me. Motor still makes some noise, guess I'll live with it until either the motor or controller konks out.

PAS engagement is satisfactory, quite happy with peak draw (tbh I only used PAS0, 1, 2). Overall rideability is good. Blipped the throttle a few times and saw peaks over 1300, can't imagine this is great for the motor - but since I rarely use throttle, not a huge deal to me.

@AHicks again very grateful for your advice and encouragement, otherwise I may have sent this back!
AvgJoe, did you finally get the setting for the Bolton upgrade dialed in? And if so could you please post them for me. I have a 2020 Rover step thru and will be getting this upgrade if it works properly.
Thanks
Tom

AvgJoe, did you finally get the setting for the Bolton upgrade dialed in? And if so could you please post them for me. I have a 2020 Rover step thru and will be getting this upgrade if it works properly.
Thanks
Tom
Hi Tom, yes, as above. It works quite well - if you need me to document all settings, let me know and I can probably get them for you tonight.

Hi Tom, yes, as above. It works quite well - if you need me to document all settings, let me know and I can probably get them for you tonight.
Just keep in mind that these settings can be tweaked a bit to optimize the setup for every rider. If you get it together and something doesn't suit you/seem right, just holler.

Okay thanks guys for the response. When you get a chance please post the settings for me. That would be great and make it easier for an older guy (me) to understand.

Okay thanks guys for the response. When you get a chance please post the settings for me. That would be great and make it easier for an older guy (me) to understand.
These settings, which I posted before, are a great place to start. I cannot recall what every single one means, but the discussion in this and other threads should help decipher them.
1658231062362.png

Back