Body safety gear (esp. for knees)

ebike Richard

I'm realizing it's a good idea to be proactive while ebiking.
Does anybody have any suggestions about buying knee guards?
Something fairly light that can give reasonable protection for the knees if you fall off and hit the pavement.
Also any other gear you recommend like for elbows, ankles, wrists, etc. without becoming too encumbered.
Thanks!
-Richard

You'd be better off with a collar bone pad. I know a lot more riders with broken collar bones that have gone over the handlebars or rolled over onto their shoulders than any other injury. I'd think it would be very difficult to find knee pads that won't impede the pedaling action.

Hi Richard,
I was just going to post a very similar question.

I'm struggling to find good eBike body armor. My 28mph eBike is fast enough that I worry what would happen to my body if I were to crash at full speeds. Most mountain bike armor seems far too bulky, being built to protect the ride from being impaled by a tree branch. Motorcycle armor seems far too hot and heavy for active riding. So, what is there in between? I would greatly appreciate any advice and links to specific products that might be suitable.

That said, I have found these shorts, which look pretty nice: https://www.planet-knox.com/product/trooper-mtb-shorts/
There is also this armored shirt: https://www.planet-knox.com/product/knox-armoured-shirt-men/
but it provides no abrasion resistance for sliding on tarmac after a crash.

And yes, any knee pads will make pedalling pretty uncomfortable.

You'd be better off with a collar bone pad. I know a lot more riders with broken collar bones that have gone over the handlebars or rolled over onto their shoulders than any other injury. I'd think it would be very difficult to find knee pads that won't impede the pedaling action.

That's good to know. Thanks!
I hadn't considered that it would be awkward peddling with knee pads. But there's gotta be some knee pad that would sorta work ok, you'd think.
And I'll factor in what you said about collarbones.

Hi Richard,
I was just going to post a very similar question.

I'm struggling to find good eBike body armor ... And yes, any knee pads will make pedalling pretty uncomfortable.

BMX riders and skateboarders have padding lines that cater to their sports. You'd probably find something more suitable to pavement riding at some of the BMX outlets. I haven't tried any padding but I've started to gravitate to skateboard/BMX shoes as commuter shoes due to their stiff soles and solid reinforcement (Etnies is the brand I am using for shoes). Maybe try a Google for BMX padding.

I don't understand the obsession bike riders & supply houses have with short sleeves and pants. Seems veterans are proud of their road scars. I ride >2000 miles a year now, and wear long sleeves and pants, thick ones, in dark blue usually. I don't get too hot, even at 102 deg F in the sun. I do drink water.A bright green or orange Tee or vest is over top.
I haven't skinned my knees since I was seven riding a 20" bike. I go over the handlebars about once a year when the wheel turns sideways on obstacles, hitting usually my chin & chest. I usually alight on my arms, but have for 30 years worn cotton or cotton/poly long sleeves workshirts, which are a lot cheaper than those knox items linked to above. https://www.automotiveworkwear.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/SP14_small.jpg Scrapes are minimal in that heavy cloth. The all cotton workshirt costs more but is cooler in summer, wicking the sweat effectively. I wear long sleeves in all weather on the bike. Dickies makes cotton/poly workshirts available in discount stores; red cap has that and a full cotton one (for welding) which has to be mail ordered. See automotiveworkwear.com or equivalent sites.
Dickies long pants also keep my legs from getting roadburn; red kap makes an equivalent cotton/poly workpant that doesn't fit my round *** and thick thighs as well.
As far as chin protection, I broke it in November on the pavement and am ****ed that nobody online would show me a ventilated bike helmet with chin guard in September. Niagara, competitive, modernbike, nothing, jenson I got javascript error. Jenson actually has them, but you can't see it with my browser unless you know the secret word: "downhill mountain bike racing helmet". I bought the Fox Rampage Comp, http://www.jensonusa.com/globalasse...91g06-yellow~black.jpg?w=250&h=300&quality=85 It is in fact very well ventilated although heavy at 2.2 lb. The stupid wind catching visor does unscrew if you're not racing downhill through the forest with a risk of being stabbed in the face by a branch or planting it onto a rock. I ride on pavement 99.9999% of the time. Do this mod at your own risk.

Last edited:
I don't understand the obsession bike riders & supply houses have with short sleeves and pants. Seems veterans are proud of their road scars. I ride >2000 miles a year now, and wear long sleeves and pants, thick ones, in dark blue usually. I don't get too hot, even at 102 deg F in the sun. I do drink water.A bright green or orange Tee or vest is over top.
I haven't skinned my knees since I was seven riding a 20" bike. I go over the handlebars about once a year when the wheel turns sideways on obstacles, hitting usually my chin & chest. I usually alight on my arms, but have for 30 years worn cotton or cotton/poly long sleeves workshirts, which are a lot cheaper than those knox items linked to above. https://www.automotiveworkwear.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/SP14_small.jpg Scrapes are minimal in that heavy cloth. The all cotton workshirt costs more but is cooler in summer, wicking the sweat effectively. I wear long sleeves in all weather on the bike. Dickies makes cotton/poly workshirts available in discount stores; red cap has that and a full cotton one (for welding) which has to be mail ordered. See automotiveworkwear.com or equivalent sites.
Dickies long pants also keep my legs from getting roadburn; red kap makes an equivalent cotton/poly workpant that doesn't fit my round *** and thick thighs as well.
As far as chin protection, I broke it in November on the pavement and am ****ed that nobody online would show me a ventilated bike helmet with chin guard in September. Niagara, competitive, modernbike, nothing, jenson I got javascript error. Jenson actually has them, but you can't see it with my browser unless you know the secret word: "downhill mountain bike racing helmet". I bought the Fox Rampage Comp, http://www.jensonusa.com/globalasse...91g06-yellow~black.jpg?w=250&h=300&quality=85 It is in fact very well ventilated although heavy at 2.2 lb. The stupid wind catching visor does unscrew if you're not racing downhill through the forest with a risk of being stabbed in the face by a branch or planting it onto a rock. I ride on pavement 99.9999% of the time. Do this mod at your own risk.
Thanks for all the tips!

Thanks for all the tips!.
I hadn't thought about chin straps but that makes a lot of sense.

And researching about all this stuff, some devices are made of a material which is soft most of the time but stiffens upon impact. This would be particularly useful like for knee protectors.
Thanks again for your informative response.

I wear elbow and knee pads called Ventos, by Alpine Star, when I ride off-road. Really great armor. Also have hip, thigh, and tailbone, pads . Which I had from my Motor cycling days. Full face MTB Bell helmet is my next piece of gear I am adding to my kit. All very comfortable . The helmet will take some getting use to ,as peripheral vision will be altered.

There are plenty of companies making mtb armor that is optimized to pedal in. I like Poc, but many people like G form, because they are thin and light.

I use G-form knee and elbow pads when I work commute and trail ride with my fat tire bike. I feel safer with the pads and also wear a Fox helmet, eye protection, padded gloves, neon colored bike shirts/jacket, and bike shorts with crotch pad (thicker biker pants in colder temps). I usually wear the knee pads over spandex; while, I put the elbow pads on my arms (usually under my long sleeve bike shirts). I haven't had any issues pedaling 20-23 mph work commuting or any other restrictions in movement. Also nice to have the knee pads if I need to work on the bike on the road. We had a few weeks of +100 degrees in NM and the G-Form did breath and didn't feel like I was overheating with the black pads (I liked the added UV protection of knee/elbow pad provided with summertime shorts/short sleeve bike shirt).

I had a few low speed crashes before the G-form pads and it took weeks to months for the limp to go away and the scars to heal up. I have been lucky not to have any high speed crashes at +18 mph; but, I've had a few close calls from distracted drivers. I wear the pads because I figure road rash at those speeds might get close to the bone or keep me off my bike for months without the added protection.

Back