BMC and Stromer...

Thank for all these great marketing and US-market insights!

Now, It's clear for me, the US market has great potential for development. In Europe, especially in Switzerland, electric bicycles are well established - even before Stromer exists. Thömu found the gap with the groundbreaking design of Stromer.

But coming back to the initial question: From what source could myStromer AG gain money to develop its business?

Now, It's clear for me, the US market has great potential for development. In Europe, especially in Switzerland, electric bicycles are well established - even before Stromer exists. Thömu found the gap with the groundbreaking design of Stromer.

But coming back to the initial question: From what source could myStromer AG gain money to develop its business?
Elon Musk

You did it very well, thanks.

It sounds familiar, like the "corporate solutions" concept from myStromer AG. But I believe increasing the sales force/activities is the second step. First, you have to build a robust after sales service organisation - and you must be able to fulfill the demand in a reasonable timeframe. Unfortunately, Andy Rhis won't spend money for this. So, myStromer AG has to learn walk alone...

Other thing:

The typical european Stromer customer is...

• 45 years old
  • has higher education
  • has higher salary
  • lives in urban/suburban
  • has already a bicycle in use
  • is is sporty and healthy
  • has a sense for excellent industrial design
  • likes to own high valuable objects

and use the Stromer either to commute of for leisure.

How would you describe the typical US Stromer customer?

Are you a Stromer employee??? Stromer AG gets the corporate sales thing (at least in Switzerland). The problem is that the solutions I have proposed take an investment in sales and marketing that is atypical of manufacturer budgets. From what I can tell, North American vendors have their regional reps do demo days at bike shops and local bike fairs. Not that this is a bad thing, but it has almost no reach beyond those already interested in bikes.

What is needed is for companies to create a non-automotive environment at work and put in place a series of "Leave the car at home" campaigns that involve rewards, challenges, giveaways, and constant signage to reinforce the message. As an example, the charity United Way, came to my last real job employer. The program consisted of:

1. Asking some executive at the company to serve on the local board
2. A series of company wide and department presentations on United Way activities
3.An ongoing series of reminders in employees paychecks.
4. A live tote board showing how much employees have given
5. A company matching challenge (for every $100 you donate, the company will match)
6. A recognition award for the company when it surpasses last years goal

This is the kind of program companies need to support for e-bikes. It can be done as there are lots of corporate charters for health and wellness, environmental goals, and lower carbon footprints.

Bluecat

I offered to setup a direct model for Stromer in the Sf Bay Area. We had the support of Tomi Viala but Chris (the US GM) declined.

Through sales. Their marketing campaigns are nil in my opinion. I get that they want to wait until there product is dialed perfect but so many companies develop their R&D department through sales. Sales sales sales lead to money to invest in product development. They have the backing and the ability to take out loans if needed to do a national campaign and go huge, as in commercials on prime time television. I am a fanatic but I also have worked the industry for over 23 years and KNOW that this bike is a game changer. This bike is what most people do not know they have been waiting for to get out of their cars. More people out of their cars more money towards infrastructure. More infrastructure more people out of their cars.

The Specialized Turbo has the same ability. Why Specialized is not doing this same thing I propose baffles me.

I do not agree with Stromer's position on this ( I have talked to them about this) and think that the first company that jumps and does this will be the leader in the market place and Stromer is already handicapped because Specialized is a household name.

Elon Musk

Yes, of course!
It's not accidentally, the Chairman of the Board drives this car:

tesla1_zps19b91e39.jpg

Luckily, he gave once the key and let me take a ride. What a car! But money for the company? (I write "key" but you know, this tiny thing is far from a key.)

Bluecat
I offered to setup a direct model for Stromer in the Sf Bay Area. We had the support of Tomi Viala but Chris (the US GM) declined.

I've met Christian Müller (who left the company to join their biggest competitor). Unfortunately, I've never met Tomi Viiala or Christian Dörr. So, I can't say anything about their visions. However, Erwin Steinmann has the reputation bringing a company back on track. And as the US market will be important, the time for your proposal might come.

Through sales.
Why Specialized is not doing this same thing I propose baffles me.

I see sales as step #2.

After 2009, the sales of Stromer were growing faster than the company. The product had have several issues, but repair and maintenance we're far from demand. This leads to several frustrated customers. Luckily, the most stores who sell Stromer were controlled by my Stromer AG. That way, they couldn't drop the product. In the US, this might be different...

In Switzerland, Specialized does nearby zero advertising for the turbo. It seems, the want to grow slowly - as they might have realised, electric bicycles are not that easy.

Through sales. Their marketing campaigns are nil in my opinion. I get that they want to wait until there product is dialed perfect but so many companies develop their R&D department through sales. Sales sales sales lead to money to invest in product development. They have the backing and the ability to take out loans if needed to do a national campaign and go huge, as in commercials on prime time television. I am a fanatic but I also have worked the industry for over 23 years and KNOW that this bike is a game changer. This bike is what most people do not know they have been waiting for to get out of their cars. More people out of their cars more money towards infrastructure. More infrastructure more people out of their cars.

The Specialized Turbo has the same ability. Why Specialized is not doing this same thing I propose baffles me.

I do not agree with Stromer's position on this ( I have talked to them about this) and think that the first company that jumps and does this will be the leader in the market place and Stromer is already handicapped because Specialized is a household name.

No way is Specialized a household name. Bet not 1 in 10 could name them as a bike company.
Being aware of them AS A BIKER doens't make 'household name'. Not even close.

No way is Specialized a household name. Bet not 1 in 10 could name them as a bike company.
Being aware of them AS A BIKER doens't make 'household name'. Not even close.

As quality bike companies go, Specialized is definitely a "household name". If you count the manufacturers of decent bicycles, only Trek would be ahead of them in name recognition, with maybe Giant in the mix.

Of course, if you count all bicycle brands, then Schwinn, Huffy etc... are truly household names, even among non- bikers, especially well known at garage sales and in the recycle bins!

As quality bike companies go, Specialized is definitely a "household name". If you count the manufacturers of decent bicycles, only Trek would be ahead of them in name recognition, with maybe Giant in the mix.

Of course, if you count all bicycle brands, then Schwinn, Huffy etc... are truly household names, even among non- bikers, especially well known at garage sales and in the recycle bins!

"even among non-bikers" is the specific point of using "household name".
Includes everyone, not just enthusiasts.
As you say , Schwinn and maybe Huffy would qualify.
Specialized would not.

The market is going cheaper whole Stromer is going upscale. How many customers are there for the ST2 , which costs as much as a motorcycle?

The market is going cheaper whole Stromer is going upscale. How many customers are there for the ST2 , which costs as much as a motorcycle?
I think each product has a market place contingent upon the buyer's perceived value and economics. Why does BMW 7 series sell versus 3 series? You can get a Stromer ST1 non Platinum or ST2 and pricing wise on multiples the one cost about double of the other when looking at MSRP, just like the Beamers.

My suggestion is to shop around and then look at Len's Ebikes in Madison Wisconsin and make a trip there or call them. They are very competitive on their pricing and service. Maybe the value and benefits are there for you and you take the leap to the next level. I went from an ST1 to ST2 and they allowed me to trade in my bike, even for what I paid for it and credit towards the new one. I could have even switched to another bike but did much research on the ST2 and stayed with Stromer.

There will always be a broad product offering with price points to match features and perceived needs. Thank God for that and the great US of A. I would rather have a manufacturer and dealer strive for excellence then dumb us all down with cheap offerings where the product wears out prior to joy of the new bike. Read some of the other offerings in the other forums, which makes the point with other esoteric brands.

\\\

Also viewed as: the market is being flooded with cheaper and cheaper Chinese made junk. People are losing faith in new products because so many are worthless junk and don't work well enough or last well enough to be viable. Yet some people will continue to patronize those brands based soley on price.
Meanwhile Stromer and Haibike and others that make quality products made to actually function well and last in the real world seem to be busting out big time in sales.
How much longer americans will continue to buy junk for cheap enough prices remains to be seen.

\\\

Also viewed as: the market is being flooded with cheaper and cheaper Chinese made junk. People are losing faith in new products because so many are worthless junk and don't work well enough or last well enough to be viable. Yet some people will continue to patronize those brands based soley on price.
Meanwhile Stromer and Haibike and others that make quality products made to actually function well and last in the real world seem to be busting out big time in sales.
How much longer americans will continue to buy junk for cheap enough prices remains to be seen.

There's plenty of room in the marketplace for the continued sales of both junk and quality, and the murky place in between. ;-)

Bosch is definitely a household name in Europe. They make great drills.

Guess Specialized and Stromer still got some work to do. :D

Specialized sells vast numbers of quality bicycles every year, as well as a wide range of other bike parts and supplies. They are a top leader in the bicycle industry.

Along with hundreds of other items, Bosch sells power steering motors for tractors! ;)
The "other items" include: appliances, electronics, automobile parts ...yes, they're a household name as well.

No, I described my relationship earlier in this thread.

The current campaign in Switzerland called: Bike4Car.ch The appeal goes in direction environment-friendliness and health. Personally, I believe gaining time is the biggest motivator.
Sorry you, did tell me.....I may go to Interbike in August. Perhaps we can meet up!

Back