Blown motor on E3 Dash with 29 miles on it

Ouch - @CurrieTech - the wheel may survive? Seems like the logical thing, if my Dash is in the batch that is at risk, is to join @pcrdude and request a replacement, if only to secure the resale value of my used Dash. So how do we know which bikes may have a bum motor?

Ouch - @CurrieTech - the wheel may survive? Seems like the logical thing, if my Dash is in the batch that is at risk, is to join @pcrdude and request a replacement, if only to secure the resale value of my used Dash. So how do we know which bikes may have a bum motor?
ChrisD,
Again, we're happy to replace your suspect wheel. The new-glue batch will be here momentarily. Just email [email protected], or visit your dealer, and have them contact us.

The tube, tires, cogs and disc will all be mounted on these replacement wheels you're going to mail us correct?

I know you had some special circumstances, so we're putting everything together for you. In most cases we will be sending the wheel alone. All other parts generally can be swapped over pretty quickly.

I know you had some special circumstances, so we're putting everything together for you. In most cases we will be sending the wheel alone. All other parts generally can be swapped over pretty quickly.

For clarity, would the items transferred from the current bike be the cassette, tire, tube, and brake disk? Or, would one need to have the rim re-laced to the replacement motor?

Thanks!

For clarity, would the items transferred from the current bike be the cassette, tire, tube, and brake disk? Or, would one need to have the rim re-laced to the replacement motor?

Thanks!
pcrdude,
We will be sending a complete wheel. Rim, spokes, hub-motor, all assembled. Just pop your original tire,tube, cassette and rotor onto the new one.

Another 6 hour round trip and I have Pedal Assist back! They replaced the BBTS and trued my rear wheel. So nice :)

Save not having problems at all it seems that Currie has done everything possible (at least in my opinion; which means absolutely nothing on a forum) to address your problem (and then some) considering the circumstance.

It is good to know that all of your parts are on their way to them for evaluation and that you at least seem to be taking this in stride.

My parts are on their way as well and I'm frankly feeling pretty good about receiving them in the first place so quickly (thanks to Curry, this very forum's existence/Court and the people in it).

pcrdude,
We will be sending a complete wheel. Rim, spokes, hub-motor, all assembled. Just pop your original tire,tube, cassette and rotor onto the new one.

I am curious to know why Currie is offering just 1 year warranty on the battery..!! That seems a little low for any ebike costing over $2K.

If anyone is ordering spare parts/components, I think it should be Battery,
because C- grade or D- grade batteries will begin to lose their capacity substantially after ~ 200 cycles

• Stromer = 3 years
  • Easy Motion = 2 years
  • Kalkhoff = 2 years
  • Focus = 2 years
  • Grace = 2 years

I am curious to know why Currie is offering just 1 year warranty on the battery....

I would like to continue this discussion elsewhere on the forum (possibly here?) as I have never come across the battery grading system that you describe and certainly not as related to one manufacturer vs another (be gentle, I'm a newb!).

If it's a given that all manufacturers are somewhat equal in terms of the quality/grade cells that they use(?)...it could be that Currie is more conservative (or seeking a lower price point on this particular bike if the latter is not) as to how they believe the average owner will take care of their cells in the first place (per your chart in the above thread or any assumption that the above thread's title is evidently important).

If at least some of the above manufacturers are not pro rating their cells and/or using different (more expensive) charging systems/notifications to protect them; this would be interesting to learn (at least for me) in another discussion.

I agree with your spare battery recommendation yet have had trouble justifying the expense/which one to purchase due to my wife still not quite settling on the Path Plus or Dash (we were almost there!).

What dose rei stand for?
REI stands for "Recreation Equipment Inc." and was founded in 1938 in Seattle Washington. It's a semi-privately held "coop" which means when you sign up to be a member (cost's like $25 and is good for life) you get a "dividend" at the end of each year which is a percentage of what you spent at the store. It's like profit sharing, the company is really cool and has an excellent warranty. I used to work there selling shoes :D here's more info at Wikipedia.
It seems that Currie has done everything possible (at least in my opinion; which means absolutely nothing on a forum)
Your opinion matters to me DashRiprock... now please shut up :)

Last edited:
HH (and others), have you had the wheel/motor replaced? HH indicated that they trued his rear wheel, but I'm confused as to whether it is the new uber-glue version, or the old one.

HH (and others), have you had the wheel/motor replaced? HH indicated that they trued his rear wheel, but I'm confused as to whether it is the new uber-glue version, or the old one.
They trued the old one along with replacing the BBTS. I haven't gotten the new one yet. I always had an issue with the spokes getting loose on my replacement wheel.. So they trued it and lock tight'd them down.
When I get my replacement wheel, the first thing I'll do is lock tight the spokes down.

Sigh.....

So I've lost all pedal assist on my Dash unless I twist the throttle. Then it'll go up to 20mph on any assistance level with barely pedaling. Throttle still works the same, but unless you twist the throttle the bike doesn't help at all in assist mode.
It's strange too because on any assistance level throttle would cut out at 7mph, but now it'll go up to 20mph as long as I twist the throttle and barely pedal. But once you release the throttle there's no power from the motor no matter how hard I crank it. It just never acted like that before.

I'll call Currie today once they open to see if they have any ideas. I'm thinking bad torque sensor on the new motor I received, or maybe reset the controller, or my brakes are adjusted so the sensor thinks the brakes are on and cuts off assist.. Or if there's something to adjust for the torque sensor.

Hi all, new member here. I purchased a new Dash on July 5th and lost pedal assist on July 10th with around 85 miles on the bike. Luckily the throttle assist kept working so I was able to get home. I was really loving it up to that point. I came across this forum and post while looking for solutions to my problem and emailed both Curri contacts listed in this post last Thursday (the CEO and someone else). I have since emailed two more times (Thursday evening and again this morning) and have yet to get a response. Before emailing I also called the customer service line and my call was dropped twice. On the second call I asked if they could take my number to call me back if the call dropped as the wait time had been several minutes, I was told they could not because, "they were just a call center". Not sure what's up with that but needless to say I have not yet been impressed or even remotely satisfied with the customer service. In frustration I took the bike back to the shop I had bought it from over lunch today. Not the two hour drive HH had to deal with but it was an hour out of my day all the same.

If I had to guess (and it's only a wild guess), it would be that the shop had an older serial number bike, and didn't do the BB fix. If that's the case, they should be able to figure it out from the tech bulletins, and get you going again soon.

Good Luck!

Dylan,
Sorry for the trouble with your new bike. It is likely that your bottom bracket was loose, and it slowly rotated and finally began to sever the wires. The shop may have not gotten to read the tech bulletin. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B96dkFgH-zxud2tkMFhrS1Z6Unc/edit

We're happy to send another BB to you or your shop. You can email me directly at [email protected], or have your shop contact us, and we'll get you back up and running quickly.

Hi all, new member here. I purchased a new Dash on July 5th and lost pedal assist on July 10th with around 85 miles on the bike. Luckily the throttle assist kept working so I was able to get home. I was really loving it up to that point. I came across this forum and post while looking for solutions to my problem and emailed both Curri contacts listed in this post last Thursday (the CEO and someone else). I have since emailed two more times (Thursday evening and again this morning) and have yet to get a response. Before emailing I also called the customer service line and my call was dropped twice. On the second call I asked if they could take my number to call me back if the call dropped as the wait time had been several minutes, I was told they could not because, "they were just a call center". Not sure what's up with that but needless to say I have not yet been impressed or even remotely satisfied with the customer service. In frustration I took the bike back to the shop I had bought it from over lunch today. Not the two hour drive HH had to deal with but it was an hour out of my day all the same.
Hi Dylan - So sorry for your problem. Looks like Chawn has already responded and hopefully we can get you all squared away with the bike shop you purchased it from. Please keep me posted - my email is [email protected]. And if you would please, can you resend the email that you sent on the 10th and also let me know who you spoke to in Customer Service? I'm afraid that I did not see your email. My apologies if it was somehow missed.

Larry Pizzi
805-915-4901

Dylan,
Sorry for the trouble with your new bike. It is likely that your bottom bracket was loose, and it slowly rotated and finally began to sever the wires. The shop may have not gotten to read the tech bulletin. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B96dkFgH-zxud2tkMFhrS1Z6Unc/edit

We're happy to send another BB to you or your shop. You can email me directly at [email protected], or have your shop contact us, and we'll get you back up and running quickly.

I emailed these exact two addresses each time so I am not sure what the technical issue is.

Here is the shops info.

Eric's bike shop
2059 Snelling Ave N, Roseville, MN 55113

If you could check with them to see if the part was already ordered and if not please send it immediately I would greatly appreciate it. You can email me an update at [email protected].

Thank you.

Back