Blown motor on E3 Dash with 29 miles on it

"..If one of my magnets comes loose, I may be tempted to get out my trusty JBWeld!!.."

Are you going to wait until the magnets come loose when it is least convenient...or take CurrieTech's advice (above) concerning "...a swap out, outside shipping times, takes only a couple minutes to fix, and not much different than changing a flat..."(?). Can we 'dab' epoxy in there (now) somehow and prevent it?

I'm still on board with all these problems with (imo needed) understanding...yet am naturally leery as to the timing of future problems. What doesa bottom bracket cost? (or whatever is being replaced). How much for either the wires leading to the display or the display itself? (whichever connection has indeed been the problem). What (magnet-related) part may need to be replaced and at what price?
What many 'new adapters' don't realize is that 1) warranties do indeed run out and that 2) replacement parts for 'original' parts often become harder to find as time marches on and 'improved' assemblies take their place (don't ask me how I know this).

At some point I'm buying parts vs waiting for them to break (just another early adaptor reality when you know darn well before you buy anything nowadays exactly where it came from and what their long running reputation truly is).

this is classic infant mortality. "Failures during infant mortality are highly undesirable and are always caused by defects and blunders: material defects, design blunders, errors in assembly, etc."
http://www.weibull.com/hotwire/issue21/hottopics21.htm

As a consumer this is the preferred failure mode, even though it is frustrating to the new owner... Early failures are covered by a warranty!
Very cool link! However, I think I still want to get as far away from thinking about drowning babies as I can! Maybe it's just me.

We have a 2 year warranty, so likely in the first couple months of use, all failures of this type will have surfaced and will be taken care of. We tend to ignore that 730.4999th day "end of warranty" deadline, in case things aren't quite right on the 746.156th day. We've been here about 15 years so far for a reason.......or two.

We have a 2 year warranty, so likely in the first couple months of use, all failures of this type will have surfaced and will be taken care of.

On the plus side, the Currie support and 2 year warranty is great.
On the negative side, these motor failures can leave you stranded miles from home. With a flat tire you can easily fix it on the road. However, with the motor magnet failures you are stranded and can't even ride the bike home using pedal power.

Fortunately, I'm one of those who bought the Dash from REI, so if by the end of summer these motor failures aren't straightened out, I'll just turn my Dash in to REI under their 1 year 100% guarantee and get a different bike.

As a consumer this is the preferred failure mode, even though it is frustrating to the new owner... Early failures are covered by a warranty!

+1. I didn't like needing to have the bottom bracket torque sensor replaced, but was quite pleased with my bike shop and Currie for doing it as quickly as they could, without cost to me.

On the negative side, these motor failures can leave you stranded miles from home. With a flat tire you can easily fix it on the road. However, with the motor magnet failures you are stranded and can't even ride the bike home using pedal power.

Fortunately, I'm one of those who bought the Dash from REI, so if by the end of summer these motor failures aren't straightened out, I'll just turn my Dash in to REI under their 1 year 100% guarantee and get a different bike.

Charly,
So far, most reports of this magnet failure has been simply noise, just like the video above. In most cases the bike and motor still do perform ok. It has been very rare that there is any more than a tiny bit of resistance against the rider, and that's generally when the motor was used. Without it, the bike can still be ridden as a bike.

Charly,
So far, most reports of this magnet failure has been simply noise, just like the video above. In most cases the bike and motor still do perform ok. It has been very rare that there is any more than a tiny bit of resistance against the rider, and that's generally when the motor was used. Without it, the bike can still be ridden as a bike.

Really?
I would suggest that you look at the video at the very first post of this thread. Do you really think that someone would be able to ride home 10 miles with the motor binding up like that. All one has to do is look at a picture of the stator and imagine what a loose magnet would do hanging up on all those gaps between each winding. Eventually, the magnet would catch enough to freeze the whole motor. I can understand that you want to minimize our concerns, but I feel this motor problem is very serious and we all should be very concerned. These motor failures are probably the worst thing that could happen to an electric bike.

Even without electric assist (pedal only) the hub still has to rotate around the stator.

Really?
I would suggest that you look at the video at the very first post of this thread. Do you really think that someone would be able to ride home 10 miles with the motor binding up like that. All one has to do is look at a picture of the stator and imagine what a loose magnet would do hanging up on all those gaps between each winding. Eventually, the magnet would catch enough to freeze the whole motor. I can understand that you want to minimize our concerns, but I feel this motor problem is very serious and we all should be very concerned. These motor failures are probably the worst thing that could happen to an electric bike.

Even without electric assist (pedal only) the hub still has to rotate around the stator.

Charly,
Yes, really. There has been a very select few that have put a bind on the wheel, but nearly all have been just a bit of noise. The gaps in the stator and the somewhat rounded edges of the magnets make it very improbable that they could catch. What typically happens is they just magnetically stick on the stator, but get trapped in the void, and end up scraping around the perimeter as the wheel rotates. With enough of them loose, and the added electromagnetic force when the segments are charged, all adds up to a binding wheel. Even then, without the motor system on, with many magnets loose, the wheel can still roll. Clearly it won't work great, but you also won't have to walk and drag the bike behind you.

What dose rei stand for?

So can I oder a new wheel with free of charge now before this happends in the middle of town? Because that's what a warranty is here for. I want a ebike not a 2800$ pending magnet failure possibly leaving me stranded in the middle of the suburbs. Lol. And I'll send you my old rim when the new one arrives? !

Did any of you you "early adapters " have a Stromer Sport? I used to get laughed at when I said i had over 10 motors on our bikes . I had no Currie Tech for back up. Currie is doing a great job w up front info so at least you know what the real story of your issue is.

It is an unfortunate situation but it appears it is being resolved and from what I can see they are taking care of many additional expenses. I believe they are doing pretty well with problem.

What other bike does this much at this price point? Not many or you would have bought that instead. What else should they do?

A sympaththetic outsider.
Mark

Hey Mark, you bring up some very good points! I (for one), do not regret my purchase. Currie appears to be doing everything in their power to make certain their customers are taken care of. Having written that, the experiences of HH are way outside of what one should expect for such an expensive product.

Currently, the only issue I have had is an incorrectly adjusted rear brake caliper, and (thanks to EBR), I was able to complete the correction in minutes.

I still worry about having the bike strand me many miles from home, and that does make me uneasy.

So can I oder a new wheel with free of charge now before this happends in the middle of town? Because that's what a warranty is here for. I want a ebike not a 2800$ pending magnet failure possibly leaving me stranded in the middle of the suburbs. Lol. And I'll send you my old rim when the new one arrives? !

Brandon,
And everyone else too. We would be happy to replace your "suspect" wheels as well. It's always best to have it done thru your local dealer, but it can be done directly with you too. The new ones will be here in just a couple days now. Just have the dealer contact us, or email [email protected].

@ CurrieTech, that is a wonderful position to express, and I laud the customer care!

Maybe, covering the suspect motors for longer than the initial warranty period would be more cost effective? If the glue was only suspect on some motors, then others may be absolutely fine. That way, those of us that are early adopters would have a little peace of mind, and Currie wouldn't be out significant $$$ replacing motors/wheels/tires that are OK.

That begs the question.... Was the same type and lot of glue used in all motors, or can the issue be traced back to a specific lot or type?

What can you tell us about your investigation into the root cause of the failures?

As an aside, I was assigned to determine an issue with a DNA binding filter manufactured by a Chinese company (years ago), and determined that they were substituting cotton for a specialty glass-fiber filter without telling anyone. Stuff like that happens, and I wonder if Currie got bitten by that type of issue???

if someone screwed with the glue it was most likely in secret in the factory. My guess is the specs glue is way more expensive than 'acme' brand. Someone saw an opportunity to make extra cash, figured in a closed motor no one will notice.

@ CurrieTech, that is a wonderful position to express, and I laud the customer care!

Maybe, covering the suspect motors for longer than the initial warranty period would be more cost effective? If the glue was only suspect on some motors, then others may be absolutely fine. That way, those of us that are early adopters would have a little peace of mind, and Currie wouldn't be out significant $$$ replacing motors/wheels/tires that are OK.

That begs the question.... Was the same type and lot of glue used in all motors, or can the issue be traced back to a specific lot or type?

What can you tell us about your investigation into the root cause of the failures?

As an aside, I was assigned to determine an issue with a DNA binding filter manufactured by a Chinese company (years ago), and determined that they were substituting cotton for a specialty glass-fiber filter without telling anyone. Stuff like that happens, and I wonder if Currie got bitten by that type of issue???

pcrdude,
We may never know the WHOLE story, or at least not me, but it's clear the problem could only be the type of glue, amount of glue used, or potential contamination. We do know a small initial batch of wheels are due to arrive, with a different glue, said to be tested at many times stronger bond. Shortly thereafter, a larger batch will be on it's way, and all new production will use it going forward. It appears the factory has found and solved it. They have taken complete ownership of everything and are working closely with us, to take care of all of the needs of our customers and dealers, as quickly as humanly possible.

The failing wheels tend to do it somewhat quickly, so it's likely that a wheel after several hundred miles that has not failed, may survive.

Quotes:

"...with a different glue, said to be tested at many times stronger bond."

"The failing wheels tend to do it somewhat quickly, so it's likely that a wheel after several hundred miles that has not failed, may survive."

Once the new glue has been tested, and proves to be stronger, I will probably request a replacement due to uncertainty.

Thanks!

if someone screwed with the glue it was most likely in secret in the factory. My guess is the specs glue is way more expensive than 'acme' brand. Someone saw an opportunity to make extra cash, figured in a closed motor no one will notice.
That is exactly what we think happened with the glass-fiber filters. In our case, cotton does not bind DNA, so entire lots were worthless, our customers were complaining, and we were (as a company) in the doghouse.

:(

@opimax I adore @CurrieTech. Big time! Maybe I came off being "mad" but I wasn't going for that at all, I should have asked in a better way. Sry. Currie tech support here in EBR.com is some of the most incredible.I admire that. I seriously do that's why I was so worried because in my head I had to make this right. Hahaha I love @Larry Pizzi 's commitments made on the daily. Sorry if I came off wrong way

@opimax I adore @CurrieTech. Big time! Maybe I came off being "mad" but I wasn't going for that at all, I should have asked in a better way. Sry. Currie tech support here in EBR.com is some of the most incredible.I admire that. I seriously do that's why I was so worried because in my head I had to make this right. Hahaha I love @Larry Pizzi 's commitments made on the daily. Sorry if I came off wrong way

Brandon,
No harm, no foul! Were all here doing everything we can to mop this up quickly and do what's right for everyone involved. I think if you watch, and listen to HumanitiesHaze's very first video, you can hear him snap the throttle to illustrate the wheel abruptly stopping. I have seen that on other cases too, but fortunately, the bike can still be ridden, as a regular bike. There may be a bit of drag if many magnets have broken free, but the wheel will still roll. I have yet to see or hear of any case where a wheel could not be rolled, no matter how many magnets are broken free.

Back