Biktrix Stunner vs Magnum Metro

mousey

Region
USA
City
Chicago
I know, very different bikes, but that is what I am thinking right now. I am about 60 and need an upright sitting bike. I do about 40-60 miles in computing three times a week and some fun riding on weekends. I was initially thinking I wanted a mid-drive motor, but have been concerned about the cost. Trying to stay about $2,500, $3k at most. The Metro was the best HUB drive I have tested and fits the bill, especially for the price (2k). I drove a number of bikes and liked the ones with mid drive and also likes the internal hub which (besides price) is one reason I like the Stunner. One concern on the Stunner has no hydraulic brakes and I can't tell the quality of the components especially the internal hub. Any advice or other bikes I should check out.

I bought a sturmey archer 8 speed IGH before I went electric. At about 4 months and 500 miles the shifter pawl started popping out of the slot on the ring and leaving me stranded in 8th gear. Have to lay on the ground or turn the bike over to reload it, and it would only stay about 2 blocks. So a big X on strurmey archers that don't pull the rod out of the center like the 3 speed did in the sixties. I think maybe the root cause was the shifter cable unwound a little bit. That is going to happen, and the shifter cable hole doesn't clamp the cable housing rotationally.
One plus of the Sturmey Archer, it doesn't drop balls out and leave you pushing the bike home like a 7 speed Shimano derailleur axle. DIdn't beak in two either, I had a SHimano 6 speed do that due to my enormous 180 lb weight.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the specifications. I'm more of a "just ride" biker. I've had a Magnum Metro for almost a year and I'm very pleased. I think I was pretty lucky since I didn't do much research. The bike has held up pretty well. I ride in a very hilly area and I try to reduce the punishment o the battery by getting more exercise. Hopefully this will help me get the longest possible life out of the battery. I have had one mishap with the bike and I was surprise that there was very little damage. The bike seems to be built like a tank (and is heavy like one too). Good luck on your selection. I hope it works out for you.

I know, very different bikes, but that is what I am thinking right now. I am about 60 and need an upright sitting bike. I do about 40-60 miles in computing three times a week and some fun riding on weekends. I was initially thinking I wanted a mid-drive motor, but have been concerned about the cost. Trying to stay about $2,500, $3k at most. The Metro was the best HUB drive I have tested and fits the bill, especially for the price (2k). I drove a number of bikes and liked the ones with mid drive and also likes the internal hub which (besides price) is one reason I like the Stunner. One concern on the Stunner has no hydraulic brakes and I can't tell the quality of the components especially the internal hub. Any advice or other bikes I should check out.
Have you considered the Amego Infinite? It is almost an exact clone of the Magnum Metro + in both frame design and components, but costs a couple hundred dollars less, and has a couple upgraded components from the Metro (locking grips, 180mm rotor both front and back).

Have you considered the Amego Infinite? It is almost an exact clone of the Magnum Metro + in both frame design and components, but costs a couple hundred dollars less, and has a couple upgraded components from the Metro (locking grips, 180mm rotor both front and back).

I did, I agree it looks to me like the same exact bike as the Metro with the exception of a couple of items. I think I can get the bikes for the same price and I have local dealers for the Metro while Amego is by mail. Thanks for the suggestion.

I did, I agree it looks to me like the same exact bike as the Metro with the exception of a couple of items. I think I can get the bikes for the same price and I have local dealers for the Metro while Amego is by mail. Thanks for the suggestion.
I just checked the currency exchange and its stronger than I thought, the Amego is about $200 cheaper. Thanks

I just checked the currency exchange and its stronger than I thought, the Amego is about $200 cheaper. Thanks

My final choice came down to the Magnum or the Amego. Went with the Magnum because there is a local dealer both in case of service and to assemble/check out the bike.

BTW - a better way to describe my decision is that I'm not mechanical so even tho the Magnum has a rep for durability I went for the near-by dealer just in case. If you're a good wrench I'd save the money and get the Amego.

I recently purchased the Amego (it arrives 4/3). After currency conversion: the bike, international tariff, shipping (free) and a helmet came to $1,954.00 USD. without the helmet would have been $1,900.

Back