Bike To Bike Communication

@ 6zfshdb, Thank you for the great find and information on the Bell visors. I will be ordering these.

@TMH, Thank you so much for your detailed and very helpful review. I have been waiting for and chasing the EVOS daily since spring which has been very frustrating as the biking season rolls by and we don't have the helmets to use. One is finally being delivered today but it is useless without the second which is not available.

And based on your review, with the better intercom and operation on the R1, I just ordered 2 R1'S from Erik's Bike Shops and will be returning the EVO to Amazon. Both Sena and Amazon have had very limited availability on both the R1 and the EVO, so if anyone is looking for an R1, I would suggest Erik's. Again, thank you so much. Looking forward to FINALLY getting and ENJOYING these!
Sounds like Amazon is going to have some 'used' Evo's in stock very soon!

I'm glad you found a pair of helmets and hope that you enjoy them as much as we do.

Another note. For those whose use profile is as simple as ours (2 riders who just want to listen to FM radio or talk to each other, easily switching between the two), the older Sena X1 helmets also work very well (in our experience). They would be a worthwhile purchase if they can be found somewhere on close-out for a lower cost than the standard R1's.

The X1's are different from the standard R1's in the following:

1) The X1's seem like they would work better for a rider whose head shape is rounder, as opposed to elongated;
2) There is no Sena OEM visor for the X1 (not an issue if one is going to adapt a visor like the recommended Bell, above);
3) The control buttons on the X1 are not raised as much nor are they different shapes like on the standard R1. Less tactile feedback when riding (although even the standard R1 doesn't have much, especially when wearing biking gloves, and we find in our use that we only use the center button (which is raised more than the other buttons on the X1) 90%+ of the time when riding);
4) Good thing is that the X1's are compatible with the Sena Bluetooth Device Manager on the PC for updating (ours were at Ver 1.0, while the current is 1.1) and easy set-up;
5) Fidelity through the speakers and sensitivity of the microphone is equivalent in our experience with the standard R1.

If given the choice I would still choose the standard R1 over the X1, but at a close-out price the X1 could be a good buy for a good helmet. Plus they may be available in more colors. I haven't yet tried linking an X1 to a standard R1 for when we have riding guests, but hope to try this soon.

We have two matte black Sena R1 Evo helmets on order through BuySena.Com that are due to arrive this week. In anticipation of their arrival I have downloaded the Sena Device Manager software to my Windows laptop to upgrade the helmets' firmware, if applicable. We won't be receiving our Evelo Aurora Limited Edtion ebikes until sometime in October. My wife and I plan on using the helmets in the house for familiarization, and it will be a welcome departure from yelling at each other from room to room. Who knows, maybe this will become a tool used by marriage counselors. 🤣

Attachments

• Sena R1 Evo Matte Black.png
    Sena R1 Evo Matte Black.png
    534 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
We have two matte black Sena R1 Evo helmets on order through BuySena.Com that are due to arrive this week. In anticipation of their arrival I have downloaded the Sena Device Manager software to my Windows laptop to upgrade the helmets' firmware, if applicable. We won't be receiving our Evelo Aurora Limited Edtion ebikes until sometime in October. My wife and I plan on using the helmets in the house for familiarization, and it will be a welcome departure from yelling at each other from room to room. Who knows, maybe this will become a tool used by marriage counselors. 🤣

Another marriage saved by good communication... who knew? ;)

We have 2 Sena R1's and love them. I have been wondering though, since most folks these days have unlimited cellphone minutes on their accounts, why not just use those for keeping in touch? An earbud in one ear and a phone call would work wherever there was a signal. So what if it's 30 or 130 minutes long? You could still hear your surroundings from the unplugged ear, and with the new Apple Airpod Pro version "Transparent" mode, with the earpod ear as well.

Just a thought.

We have 2 Sena R1's and love them. I have been wondering though, since most folks these days have unlimited cellphone minutes on their accounts, why not just use those for keeping in touch? An earbud in one ear and a phone call would work wherever there was a signal. So what if it's 30 or 130 minutes long? You could still hear your surroundings from the unplugged ear, and with the new Apple Airpod Pro version "Transparent" mode, with the earpod ear as well.

Just a thought.

It is certainly an option in urban / suburban areas and I've seen folks use their phones for bike to bike communication. In our case, my wife and I often ride remote trails in rural parts of the country, sometimes in deep valleys where there is little or no cell coverage. We've found from experience that we can't rely on our smartphones.

Update: The two Sena R1 Evo helmets arrived this week and we are very pleased with their fit and their intercom and FM radio performance. So far we have had great success in using the voice command feature, as long as we used the proper command words. Here's an example:

Rider: Hello Sena
Sena: Say a command
Rider: FM radio
Sena: FM on, 104.1

The only disappointment so far is that the hook and loop tape used by Sena to fasten the inner pads in the helmets were lacking. This was easily solved by adding sticky backed "hook" tape to the helmets under the pads for better hold.

20200829_030757.jpg

We mounted NiteRider Lumina Micro 850 lights to the top of our helmets to supplement the handlebar mounted Nitecore BR35 1800 lumen lights for night trail riding. We won't be able to report on real-life trail performance until our Evelo ebikes arrive in a few weeks.

20200829_031909.jpg.

Last edited:
This product looks interesting, albeit expensive. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/okmilo/milo-the-action-communicator

I need to think about it some more before committing to the campaign. It is pretty well exactly the type of thing I'd want for group rides - especially off road stuff.
Interesting, but I agree overpriced, by about $100+ by my estimate. ;)

You can pick up an 8-pack of Midlands for about $300 for less than the price as 2 Milos.

(though I HATE the sound out of those earpieces, in an "adventure" setting like riding)

The things I DO like about the Milo: integrated Bluetooth and 6 mics mean better noise cancelling to a standard walkie talkie. My guess is that Milo's single "sync" button establishes a Bluetooth connection between multiple devices, picks a channel and generates a privacy code, which IS convenient.

If the hands-free works as advertised, that's pretty cool, but not unique. VOX mode on walkies I've used is hit or miss, especially in the wind or riding at a decent clip (anything more than 20kph), unless you have a good mic, or wind sock of some sort. Sometimes VOX activates itself without proper wind protection. Those 6 mics on a Milo would go a long way to help that.

All in all, they're saying the retail for a single unit would be $250, which, as you said, is expensive. I'd certainly give them a try if they were under $125 per unit. Other than some fairly minor software secret sauce, I don't see where the $100 is justified.

I don't mean to knock them though, because the combination of features they've put together strikes me as a great end result. If they keep that retail pricing though, I don't know how long they'll be around before someone else realizes how it can be built for far less.

I've just laid out the roadmap. :)

Sena has finally released a firmware update for the R1 Evo helmet. I am not sure when it was released, but I discovered it last week when I plugged one of my R1 Evo helmets into my computer. The new version is 1.0.2.

I have the original Sena R1 Evo helmets with the speakers in the helmet rather than on the straps. The new firmware version seems to have corrected the voice recognition command errors that I had identified in earlier posts in this thread. Namely, the "Hello Sena" > "Mesh Intercom" command now works as it should to toggle the intercom function on or off. In the original 1.0 firmware, this command was recognized, but it would turn on the tail light rather than toggle the intercom.

An even more pleasant surprise was that the new firmware seems to have solved the problem where the "Hello Sena" alert prompt would be transmitted and replicated through the intercom to put everyone's helmet in command mode, rather than just the person who said the command. The new firmware apparently is able to detect when the command comes through the speakers instead of the wearer's voice so it can ignore the command.

This firmware update makes me much more satisfied with my R1 EVO helmets. The voice command feature is now truly useful rather than an annoyance. Since they were able to solve the problem of the alert being replicated through the intercom, I am now glad I have the original version with the speakers in the helmet rather than the straps.

Sena has finally released a firmware update for the R1 Evo helmet. I am not sure when it was released, but I discovered it last week when I plugged one of my R1 Evo helmets into my computer. The new version is 1.0.2.

I have the original Sena R1 Evo helmets with the speakers in the helmet rather than on the straps. The new firmware version seems to have corrected the voice recognition command errors that I had identified in earlier posts in this thread. Namely, the "Hello Sena" > "Mesh Intercom" command now works as it should to toggle the intercom function on or off. In the original 1.0 firmware, this command was recognized, but it would turn on the tail light rather than toggle the intercom.

An even more pleasant surprise was that the new firmware seems to have solved the problem where the "Hello Sena" alert prompt would be transmitted and replicated through the intercom to put everyone's helmet in command mode, rather than just the person who said the command. The new firmware apparently is able to detect when the command comes through the speakers instead of the wearer's voice so it can ignore the command.

This firmware update makes me much more satisfied with my R1 EVO helmets. The voice command feature is now truly useful rather than an annoyance. Since they were able to solve the problem of the alert being replicated through the intercom, I am now glad I have the original version with the speakers in the helmet rather than the straps.
Thanks for the update Alan.

I think I'm going to pass on replacing my older Sena X1 helmets, which also have the speakers mounted in the helmet. I fail to see the reason for the chin strap speakers on the newer Ri Evo's. Even with the voice command problem solved, the mesh technology in itself isn't reason enough to switch to the Evo's at this point.

I could change my mind though if enough positive reviews show up for the newer Evo's.

I have four original R1 helmets and 6 of the new Evo helmets. I can't stop buying e-bikes, so I now have a garage full, 11 total, and when my family comes in town we ride everywhere and the Evo helmets allow unlimited connections vs maximum 4 on the original R1s. I just purchased two more, but could only get the Evo CS with the speakers on the straps, so will be comparing that. I doubt I will like that as much integrated into the helmet, but there must be a clear advantage for Sena to make that change. As we all use the Evo helmets, they often go into command mode even when users didn't say "hello Sena." This is our only source of frustration. But I do believe that my wife and I had a higher quality connection from the original R1s than we do from the new Evos. But we often ride with some friends and the Evos let us connect as many riders as we wish. However, audio anomolies seem to compound and the quality gets lower and lower the more people join the intercom conference.

Last weekend when my son and I were riding on a local trail with our R1 Evo's, all of a sudden we were picking up conversation from 2 or 3 other riders. This is the first time that has happened. They were nowhere that we could see them so they must have been somewhere at the edge of our range, and all was quiet again within a minute or two. I have always used the default channel 1, but may switch them to a different channel if it happens again.

Bought the Terrano XT's. Very happy with them so far. Added some Cat Ears AirStreamz made it even better

I had a woman's phone call on mine briefly as I rode past.
That is surprising (and not good) that it would pick up a stray call from a phone that wasn't paired.

Have you updated the firmware on your Evo helmets? My helmets came with the original 1.0 firmware and the voice command feature was flawed and not very useful. They updated the firmware last fall and it fixed most of the voice command problems. I do still get occasional spontaneous command activation (without saying Hello Sena). Usually happens once or twice each time I ride. It is mildly annoying but for the most part I am very happy with the R1 Evo's since they upgraded the firmware. We use the Intercom feature almost exclusively and seldom use the FM, music or phone features.

GoBob, Genius!
1. Oh honey I didn't hear ya, my battery is dead!
2. "You want what done? Sorry you're breaking up!"

And all that with head protection ranging from the frying pan to stair stumble GENIUS!

Back