Bike To Bike Communication

That is surprising (and not good) that it would pick up a stray call from a phone that wasn't paired.

Have you updated the firmware on your Evo helmets? My helmets came with the original 1.0 firmware and the voice command feature was flawed and not very useful. They updated the firmware last fall and it fixed most of the voice command problems. I do still get occasional spontaneous command activation (without saying Hello Sena). Usually happens once or twice each time I ride. It is mildly annoying but for the most part I am very happy with the R1 Evo's since they upgraded the firmware. We use the Intercom feature almost exclusively and seldom use the FM, music or phone features.
I'm a motorcycle rider with several comms systems and this might be redundant information for Sena owners, but it's worth noting that by default +MESH is an open radio network with no real security. Basically like an old 2.4ghz cordless phone on one of several fixed open channels, just slightly more updated for group use. That is why it is so easy to pair up groups, and makes rejoining seamless if a rider drops out of the group for a short moment. They aren't truly 'paired', just automatically configured at setup to use the same comms protocols.

If you want truly secure and 'paired' conversations, you need to use the Bluetooth intercom feature. This is probably better than +MESH anyway for 2-3 riders in close proximity as the main benefit of +MESH (aside from easy pairing) is the retransmit feature that allows a unit in the middle of the group to relay the signal further down the line. That is how it achieves the exceptionally long range in group rides. It can't do that when it's only 2-3 riders close together. SENA's can usually pair up to 4 compatible systems directly over BT anyway without requiring a +MESH network.

Just something to check out. :)

Last edited:
Well, I thought that being on this site cost me money, but you are right - helmet communicators are a LOT less expensive than a crash!

I had only known of the Sena stuff from their high quality MC helmet units, the kind you have to attach to an existing helmet. But thanks to you guys I discovered their X1 'all-in-one' units.

Just purchased 2 of them off Amazon. Price was $150 per unit - as you can see prices vary (up to $200) by color and size. Heck, for a $50 difference I'm not that vain!

Thanks again to those who posted to this thread, and helped me spend some more money - in a good way!

https://www.amazon.com/Sena-Smart-Cycling-Helmet-Black/dp/B073R2V5Z6/
Ours come this week...will report back once we try them out!

Almost any product used to communicate while biking is better than riding two abreast or yelling over your shoulder. My wife and I now use simple FRS walkie talkies worn around our necks. This requires taking one hand off the handlebar to push to talk which my wife finds risky. Also, the wind noise is sometimes an issue.

This topic was discussed here a year or so ago with many opinions and products discussed. Is there anything new on the market that any here have seen? The no hands Bluetooth products seem to be the best way to go. Right now, I'm looking at the Terrano products. Their X series headsets are sold out and the newer XT series are on backorder. https://www.terranosystems.com/?campaignid=1347330667&adgroupid=53718724706&creative=286987102054&keyword=terrano x&gclid=CjwKCAjwq57cBRBYEiwAdpx0vc5oh5tKVJhawTuDZcI0_1gPJmEVSd16aQqysetKxys2HxB5Jg6ycBoCek8QAvD_BwE

The Sena helmets with built in Bluetooth communication are another possibility. This means switching helmets though which is sometimes difficult to get a good fit. https://www.sena.com/product/r1/?gc...QP5NBr8XdARYMo4NXAxVIU3AcuUak0tBoC9QsQAvD_BwE

Both options are expensive and something of a risk to try sight unseen. Has anyone used either product or found something better?
https://discord.gg/KDk4nJxxbz made this discord server for ebike riding comms. I have not tested it at all though. Might work. It's free.

Trying to decide between the Sena M1 and the M1 Evo. I don't expect that I'd ever need to talk to more than 4-people at once, but I do like the idea of having that option. Though the M1 claims to offer a 2-way HD communication option and I expect 2-person comms (me and my wife) is likely to be my most common use case. So I'm curious if the 2-way HD communication option with the M1 is significantly better than the standard communication option with the M1 Evo. My understanding is that range is reduced with the 2-way HD comms, but I'm not sure by how much. Anyone have any thoughts?

It is my understanding that with just 2 people, there really isn't much difference in range between the M1 and M1 Evo helmets. The Evo models use "Mesh" technology which, in effect, allows one helmet to act as a repeater for others. The range improvement occurs when multiple riders are in a line and can relay the signal along that line. This line can be up to 5 miles long where as the non Evo models are limited to about .5 mile.

The HD communication on the Evo models is reportedly more stable though, and may be worth the slightly higher price.

My Sena's are the older Bluetooth models without the Evo features and they work reliably with 4 riders within the .5 mile limit. Perhaps others with personal experience can offer a better comparison.

I believe the two-way HD Intercom is only a feature of the M1 (bluetooth) model. I'm curious if that is only considered "HD" compared to standard bluetooth, or if it's also better than the standard MESH communications of the EVO.

I suspect 6zfshdb is correct about the range difference. I selected the EVO because from the documentation, it seemed like the pairing procedure was better on the EVO. I have never used the non-mesh Sena devices though so I can't confirm whether that is in fact true. I can say that our R1-Evo helmets are very easy to boot up and pair together automatically as long as they are all set to the same channel.

I regularly ride in a threesome (self, wife, adult son), sometimes with 5 riders when my daughter and son=in-law join us. Depending on the terrain and how we are spread out, the mesh can definitely increase the range with 3 or more riders. We have on occasion been spread out with over 1 mile distance between the first and last rider, and we have all been able to communicate and hear each other with no problem. I am happy with our R1-Evo helmets and glad I selected them. They are definitely getting more popular, as we started getting some stray communications on the default channel 1. A year ago, my group switched to channel 4 and so far that has kept us relatively private.

I just watched a YouTube video on the pairing process. For two Bluetooth helmets it's pretty simply, but seems to get complicated for adding in the 3rd and 4th ones, so the EVO seems to have the advantage there. I think the only think the Bluthooth version might to better is avoiding cross-talk and keeping your conversation private, as it seems that if there are other EVO riders in the area on the same channel they will get merged into your conversation. I suppose that's a good thing when you want it, and easy enough to fix by changing channels if you don't want it. If I knew it would only ever be just me and my wife, I'd probably go Bluetooth, but the EVO seems to offer that expanded functionality for not much more cost. I appreciate everyone's input!

I have debated on a cheap unlimited cell phone plan and a bluetooth earbud for the job. just call the people you want in the group.
I have friends who do this. It is a viable solution as long as there is cellular coverage where you ride. Many places I go have no cell service so it isn't always an option for me.

I have friends who do this. It is a viable solution as long as there is cellular coverage where you ride. Many places I go have no cell service so it isn't always an option for me.
Definitely a consideration for me too. There is a state forest a few miles from my house, lots of gravel trails to ride, but about halfway in the cell coverage drops off entirely.

I have owned three Sena R1's for three years. Cannot say enough about how great they operate and how it is a game changer when riding with a group or with my wife. Wish I had purchased the Mesh, and I am purchasing the Mesh adapter, it makes it easier to pair more than three helmets.

Back