Bike To Bike Communication

If so, I’m happy for new buyers but sad for those of us who bought the best at the moment b4 aware of new ones. we are talking just a couple weeks. always possible with tech. maybe can avoid cross-voice by issuing voice command on tailights b4 meshing?
You could try to contact Sena to see if they would replace your EVO helmets with the EVO CS. Maybe they will be willing to acknowledge a design flaw in the original EVO. We are just guessing here though that they have actually retired the original EVO.

You could try to contact Sena to see if they would replace your EVO helmets with the EVO CS. Maybe they will be willing to acknowledge a design flaw in the original EVO. We are just guessing here though that they have actually retired the original EVO.

The old style Evo's may turn out to be a better product in the end if the new chin strap speakers become a failure point. I would want to see the new product before buying. How is the audio fed to the speaker? If it uses wiring woven into the flexible strap, it will likely have issues down the road. If they are Bluetooth speakers with their own batteries, charging could be a hassle.

Can the voice command problem be eliminated if you turn it off and use the buttons or control app instead?

Voice command isn't a problem if you turn off the intercom first before you say "Hello Sena". In my opinion, the voice command implementation is only marginally useful even if they work out the bugs. I don't think I would like the speakers on the strap, so I am happy to stick with the R1 Evo's that I have.

Voice command isn't a problem if you turn off the intercom first before you say "Hello Sena". In my opinion, the voice command implementation is only marginally useful even if they work out the bugs. I don't think I would like the speakers on the strap, so I am happy to stick with the R1 Evo's that I have.

I agree with your choice. The question remains as to whether the helmet speaker model will still be available.

The reason I think that SENA has quit selling the original R1 EVO with the speaker built into the helmet is because their online store no longer shows an order selection panel for size/color. It does show that panel on the R1 EVO CS model, even for the combinations that are "out of stock".

I've been waiting for the R1 Evo since May and they keep cancelling my order because they don't have it in stock. The reason I wanted the Evo over the original R1 was the voice command and the turning signal lights. It seems from these conversations here that the voice command is minimally useful, but how are the light signals? Enough of a reason to keep waiting for the Evo? Also, how is mesh over bluetooth? There are only 2 of us, so the number of connected helmets is not an issue, I'm just curious about the connection stability and/or the connection distance. I'm really desperate to get the helmets but I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for the Evo to be in stock again. And now also, the strap issue, do I want speakers on the straps or in the helmet itself. Seem like no one has actually tried the CS version yet so buying it would be a bit risky without trying, would that even be comfortable?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've been waiting for the R1 Evo since May and they keep cancelling my order because they don't have it in stock. The reason I wanted the Evo over the original R1 was the voice command and the turning signal lights. It seems from these conversations here that the voice command is minimally useful, but how are the light signals? Enough of a reason to keep waiting for the Evo? Also, how is mesh over bluetooth? There are only 2 of us, so the number of connected helmets is not an issue, I'm just curious about the connection stability and/or the connection distance. I'm really desperate to get the helmets but I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for the Evo to be in stock again. And now also, the strap issue, do I want speakers on the straps or in the helmet itself. Seem like no one has actually tried the CS version yet so buying it would be a bit risky without trying, would that even be comfortable?

Thanks

My thinking is similar to yours. I already have the older Sena X1's which work very well but are a bit tricky to control using the helmet mounted buttons. I was considering the R1 Evo's mainly for the voice control feature. Since that function is being reported as problematic on the R1 Evo's and it is yet to be determined if the new CS version corrected this defect, I may rethink my plan. The 4 person limit with the Bluetooth format isn't that important to me either since my wife and I rarely ride with more than 2 other people. The helmet lights are of little concern for us since we are mostly trail riders.

The R1 Evo's have been out of stock for some time but the R1 Evo CS helmets are available. This leads me to believe the R1 Evo's have been discontinued. I likely would have been satisfied with the R1 Evo's had I been lucky enough to get them when they were available. Firmware updates might eventually correct the voice command issues and the available app still makes them easier to control than the older button system on the X1's.

Until someone posts a report on the new R1 Evo CS model and the durability of the chin strap speakers, I'm going to adopt a wait and see approach.

My thinking is similar to yours. I already have the older Sena X1's which work very well but are a bit tricky to control using the helmet mounted buttons. I was considering the R1 Evo's mainly for the voice control feature. Since that function is being reported as problematic on the R1 Evo's and it is yet to be determined if the new CS version corrected this defect, I may rethink my plan. The 4 person limit with the Bluetooth format isn't that important to me either since my wife and I rarely ride with more than 2 other people. The helmet lights are of little concern for us since we are mostly trail riders.

The R1 Evo's have been out of stock for some time but the R1 Evo CS helmets are available. This leads me to believe the R1 Evo's have been discontinued. I likely would have been satisfied with the R1 Evo's had I been lucky enough to get them when they were available. Firmware updates might eventually correct the voice command issues and the available app still makes them easier to control than the older button system on the X1's.

Until someone posts a report on the new R1 Evo CS model and the durability of the chin strap speakers, I'm going to adopt a wait and see approach.
Thanks for your post. If you didn't have any helmet at the moment and were about to get one now, would you get the original R1 or Evo CS?

Thanks for your post. If you didn't have any helmet at the moment and were about to get one now, would you get the original R1 or Evo CS?

Since the X1's are no longer available, I would probably go for the R1's . They lack the lights and Mesh technology of the Evo and CS models but are still less cumbersome to operate than the old X1's. Right now, the CS version is only available in matte black. The Matte white is out of stock. My wife and I prefer to have different colors for easier identification.

I don't know if this means anything but as of this morning, Sena was again accepting orders for the R1 Evo's (non CS version). In prior days, they were shown as out of stock.

Whether they deliver or not is another issue.

If it makes any difference, the R1's are also available and with a better color selection.

Since the X1's are no longer available, I would probably go for the R1's . They lack the lights and Mesh technology of the Evo and CS models but are still less cumbersome to operate than the old X1's. Right now, the CS version is only available in matte black. The Matte white is out of stock. My wife and I prefer to have different colors for easier identification.

I don't know if this means anything but as of this morning, Sena was again accepting orders for the R1 Evo's (non CS version). In prior days, they were shown as out of stock.

Whether they deliver or not is another issue.

If it makes any difference, the R1's are also available and with a better color selection.
Sorry, I confused X1 for R1. I'm trying to figure out whether to get R1 or R1 Evo. I did order R1 Evo 3 weeks ago when it was showing in stock (BTW, it only shows in stock for Black Medium, never for any other size or white color for some reason). I ordered 2 Black Mediums 3 weeks ago and have been calling daily since last week to check the status and they have no idea what is going on. First of all to get a human on a phone is close to impossible, no one replies to emails either. I'm only able to get a human when I select their marketing department and every time I call I get different answers. Last Friday I was told that the item I ordered was out of stock, on Monday I was told that my item shipped, on Tuesday I was told that it shipped and I asked why I wasn't charged for it if it shipped, I was told someone would call me back. No one called so I called yesterday and was told that my item did not ship and is out of stock. Soooo........... I'm stuck :(

Sorry, I confused X1 for R1. I'm trying to figure out whether to get R1 or R1 Evo. I did order R1 Evo 3 weeks ago when it was showing in stock (BTW, it only shows in stock for Black Medium, never for any other size or white color for some reason). I ordered 2 Black Mediums 3 weeks ago and have been calling daily since last week to check the status and they have no idea what is going on. First of all to get a human on a phone is close to impossible, no one replies to emails either. I'm only able to get a human when I select their marketing department and every time I call I get different answers. Last Friday I was told that the item I ordered was out of stock, on Monday I was told that my item shipped, on Tuesday I was told that it shipped and I asked why I wasn't charged for it if it shipped, I was told someone would call me back. No one called so I called yesterday and was told that my item did not ship and is out of stock. Soooo........... I'm stuck :(

Unfortunately, Sena is known for their good products but not so their customer service.

Will report soon on R1 Evo CS. Bought a pair through Amazon. Medium came earlier this week and the Large is due to be delivered today. Now on Amazon showing unobtanium for smaller sizes, and availability of Larges about mid-August.

The one we got so far was really easy to set up using the phone app and the computer connection (Sena Bluetooth Device Manager). Much easier than setting up our older standard R1's. CS's only available in matte black currently, which was not our preferred color but oh well.

The head straps are woven in a tubular manner, which allows internalization of the speaker wire within the strap. My wife tried her helmet on (FM radio playing) and immediately said "maybe now I'll be able to hear you better", so I think that we are going to like the speakers being closer to the ears. The wire used to connect the speaker seems thick enough to be robust (when feeling it through the strap), but I don't yet have any information on real world durability.

I like the fact that these helmets come stock with visors.

Someone above mentioned turn signal lights on the back - the lights are there but understand that they are only tail lights, not turn signals. They have 3 settings - solid/low power, flashing (both flash together)/low power and flashing/higher power. This is a feature which, while nice, is not something which would cause me to buy this helmet and not another. Will likely provide an additional measure of safety at dusk or at night, but definitely not daylight effective.

Voice commands seem like they will be a benefit to us. I have printed out the command list and we are both learning them. My wife had somewhat frequent issues with the button commands on our standard R1's, so hopefully voice commands will be beneficial to her.

Note that none of the information above comes from actual use of the helmets during riding - we only have the one at the moment and haven't tried pairing it to a standard R1. We hope to be riding with the CS's starting this weekend.

Also note that I/we have also been very pleased with the communication and entertainment (FM radio) provided by our current standard R1's, and the ability to have this communication without adversely impacting our ability to hear other vehicles out on the road. These Sena helmets have their little issues (the biggest one probably being availability), but now that we have used them for communication during our rides, neither of us want to ever go back to standard 'acoustic' helmets.

Will report soon on R1 Evo CS. Bought a pair through Amazon. Medium came earlier this week and the Large is due to be delivered today. Now on Amazon showing unobtanium for smaller sizes, and availability of Larges about mid-August.

The one we got so far was really easy to set up using the phone app and the computer connection (Sena Bluetooth Device Manager). Much easier than setting up our older standard R1's. CS's only available in matte black currently, which was not our preferred color but oh well.

The head straps are woven in a tubular manner, which allows internalization of the speaker wire within the strap. My wife tried her helmet on (FM radio playing) and immediately said "maybe now I'll be able to hear you better", so I think that we are going to like the speakers being closer to the ears. The wire used to connect the speaker seems thick enough to be robust (when feeling it through the strap), but I don't yet have any information on real world durability.

I like the fact that these helmets come stock with visors.

Someone above mentioned turn signal lights on the back - the lights are there but understand that they are only tail lights, not turn signals. They have 3 settings - solid/low power, flashing (both flash together)/low power and flashing/higher power. This is a feature which, while nice, is not something which would cause me to buy this helmet and not another. Will likely provide an additional measure of safety at dusk or at night, but definitely not daylight effective.

Voice commands seem like they will be a benefit to us. I have printed out the command list and we are both learning them. My wife had somewhat frequent issues with the button commands on our standard R1's, so hopefully voice commands will be beneficial to her.

Note that none of the information above comes from actual use of the helmets during riding - we only have the one at the moment and haven't tried pairing it to a standard R1. We hope to be riding with the CS's starting this weekend.

Also note that I/we have also been very pleased with the communication and entertainment (FM radio) provided by our current standard R1's, and the ability to have this communication without adversely impacting our ability to hear other vehicles out on the road. These Sena helmets have their little issues (the biggest one probably being availability), but now that we have used them for communication during our rides, neither of us want to ever go back to standard 'acoustic' helmets.
Please let us know how they are after you try them.

Reactions: TMH
Please let us know how they are after you try them.
O.K., for those who want a quick answer, I boxed up my pair of R1 Evo CS's to return to Amazon.

For a more complete explanation:

1) We currently use standard Sena R1 helmets;
2) We don't do group rides or anything, just my wife and I riding together;
3) We like to be able to talk to each other during some parts of the ride, and listen to the FM radio on other parts;
4) We do not have the helmets paired to any phones, and do not wish to be able to answer calls or talk on the phone while riding.

As such, we have now found that the standard R1's do just fine for us.

Based on 2 rides with the R1 Evo CS's:

We did not notice a significant (or really any) better sound fidelity from the strap speakers on the CS helmets as compared to those mounted up in the foam of the standard R1's.

The 'mesh intercom' on the CS's was quieter during pauses in speaking as compared to the std R1's.

The voice command functions of the CS's were of little benefit while riding. I would say that most (75%) of my commands were understood and the helmet took the correct action. For my wife the percentage of successful voice commands was maybe more like 20%. If we had kept these helmets we would have turned the voice commands off in the configuration menu.

Probably the worst difference between the 2 helmet types was the intercom vs the mesh intercom. I found the intercom on the std R1 to be stronger, clearer and have fewer break-ups and crackling during use. We did not find the mesh intercom's connection to be more stable, per Sena's marketing.

It took longer for the CS's to boot up (nit pick gripe).

Our biggest complaint regarding the intercom differences maybe relates to how we use our helmets. With the std R1's, we both start up our helmets, and both turn on the FM radio. Then with a tap of the center button, the radio is cut off and the intercom is opened on both helmets. Another tap of the center button (by either rider) and the intercom shuts off, and the radio comes back on in both helmets. So either rider, at any time, could open up the intercom and speak to the other. Then either rider could close the intercom and both riders could listen to their radios.

On the CS helmets, I did not find the mesh intercom to work the same way as the standard, and could not determine how to make it work the same way per the manual. The center button control turned the mesh intercom on or off. It did not 'toggle' between intercom and FM radio, like on the standard R1's. As such, if both riders were listening to the FM radio (mesh intercom would need to be 'off' on both helmets) and one rider wanted to speak to the other, both riders would have to turn their mesh intercoms back on. Not possible to do for quick communication ("glass in bike path"), or if the riders couldn't clearly see each other. And sometimes my wife and I may be separated by 1/4 mile or more.

Due to this intercom 'issue', the new Evo CS helmets were not as useful to us as our old std R1's, so they got sent back.

The mesh intercom might be of great benefit to larger groups of riders, especially if for example a lead rider needed to give different directions to different groups on the ride. But that is just not our use case, so the more complicated Evo helmets actually worked worse for us.

Now to find and buy some Sena visors for our std R1's. I see that Sena supposedly has the medium sized ones in stock, but no large.:(

@TMH ... I am curious to know if you tested a couple of the voice command failures that I identified in earlier posts. The command "Hello Sena ... Mesh Intercom" is supposed to turn on the Intercom feature. but on my non-CS EVO helmets it instead turns on the tail light.

The second issue I identified is that when two or more helmets are in intercom mode and one rider gives the alert notice "Hello Sena" to initiate a voice command, all rider's helmets hear the command and prompt for a voice command. I was thinking the strap speakers on the CS version might eliminate this problem.

One final question ... Was the current firmware version for the EVO CS helmets still at version 1.0?

The main reason I held out for the EVO helmets instead of just buying the classic R1's is that we typically ride with 3 riders and tend to get spread out. My son gets ahead of me, I am usually in the middle and my wife lags quite a distance behind me on her e-trike. So the EVO helmets give us some additional range before the signal drops off, and so far that feature is working quite well for us. That said, I am beginning to question whether I might have been better off to go with the classic R1's to save a few dollars and have a better choice of colors.

Incidentally, we met another older couple (about our age) riding ebikes on the local trail the other day. We stopped at a rest area and visited a while admiring each other's ebikes when we noticed we were all wearing Sena helmets ... their's were the R1's and we had our EVO's. I was kind of surprised to see someone else wearing the Sena helmets, and we all agreed they were an asset to our riding enjoyment and safety.

Last edited:
@TMH ... I am curious to know if you tested a couple of the voice command failures that I identified in earlier posts. The command "Hello Sena ... Mesh Intercom" is supposed to turn on the Intercom feature. but on my non-CS EVO helmets it instead turns on the tail light.

The second issue I identified is that when two or more helmets are in intercom mode and one rider gives the alert notice "Hello Sena" to initiate a voice command, all rider's helmets hear the command and prompt for a voice command. I was thinking the strap speakers on the CS version might eliminate this problem.

One final question ... Was the current firmware version for the EVO CS helmets still at version 1.0?

The main reason I held out for the EVO helmets instead of just buying the classic R1's is that we typically ride with 3 riders and tend to get spread out. My son gets ahead of me, I am usually in the middle and my wife lags quite a distance behind me on her e-trike. So the EVO helmets give us some additional range before the signal drops off, and so far that feature is working quite well for us. That said, I am beginning to question whether I might have been better off to go with the classic R1's to save a few dollars and have a better choice of colors.

Incidentally, we met another older couple (about our age) riding ebikes on the local trail the other day. We stopped at a rest area and visited a while admiring each other's ebikes when we noticed we were all wearing Sena helmets ... their's were the R1's and we had our EVO's. I was kind of surprised to see someone else wearing the Sena helmets, and we all agreed they were an asset to our riding enjoyment and safety.
Yes, sometimes the "mesh intercom" command worked, but most times it turned on the taillight. Same for my wife at home before the ride started (which was almost the only time "Hello Sena" would actually respond to her.) The 'taillight' command always turned it off, though.

Yes, I heard it through the mesh intercom as my wife struggled to get "Hello Sena" to respond multiple times.

Firmware still at version 1.0: Registered current with no updates available through the Sena Bluetooth Device Manager on the PC.

O.K., for those who want a quick answer, I boxed up my pair of R1 Evo CS's to return to Amazon.

3) We like to be able to talk to each other during some parts of the ride, and listen to the FM radio on other parts;
4) We do not have the helmets paired to any phones, and do not wish to be able to answer calls or talk on the phone while riding.

We did not notice a significant (or really any) better sound fidelity from the strap speakers on the CS helmets as compared to those mounted up in the foam of the standard R1's.

The 'mesh intercom' on the CS's was quieter during pauses in speaking as compared to the std R1's.

The voice command functions of the CS's were of little benefit while riding. I would say that most (75%) of my commands were understood and the helmet took the correct action. For my wife the percentage of successful voice commands was maybe more like 20%. If we had kept these helmets we would have turned the voice commands off in the configuration menu.

Probably the worst difference between the 2 helmet types was the intercom vs the mesh intercom. I found the intercom on the std R1 to be stronger, clearer and have fewer break-ups and crackling during use. We did not find the mesh intercom's connection to be more stable, per Sena's marketing.

Our biggest complaint regarding the intercom differences maybe relates to how we use our helmets. With the std R1's, we both start up our helmets, and both turn on the FM radio. Then with a tap of the center button, the radio is cut off and the intercom is opened on both helmets. Another tap of the center button (by either rider) and the intercom shuts off, and the radio comes back on in both helmets. So either rider, at any time, could open up the intercom and speak to the other. Then either rider could close the intercom and both riders could listen to their radios.

On the CS helmets, I did not find the mesh intercom to work the same way as the standard, and could not determine how to make it work the same way per the manual. The center button control turned the mesh intercom on or off. It did not 'toggle' between intercom and FM radio, like on the standard R1's. As such, if both riders were listening to the FM radio (mesh intercom would need to be 'off' on both helmets) and one rider wanted to speak to the other, both riders would have to turn their mesh intercoms back on. Not possible to do for quick communication ("glass in bike path"), or if the riders couldn't clearly see each other. And sometimes my wife and I may be separated by 1/4 mile or more.

Due to this intercom 'issue', the new Evo CS helmets were not as useful to us as our old std R1's, so they got sent back.

The mesh intercom might be of great benefit to larger groups of riders, especially if for example a lead rider needed to give different directions to different groups on the ride. But that is just not our use case, so the more complicated Evo helmets actually worked worse for us.

Now to find and buy some Sena visors for our std R1's. I see that Sena supposedly has the medium sized ones in stock, but no large.:(
Thanks so much for this. This is very helpful. I ordered the original R1 on Friday since it seemed to be in stock but apparently they never canceled my order for the Evo model (not CS) even though I got an email that they would cancel it. On Friday night I got an email that they shipped the R1 Evo to me. So now I'm probably going to end up with both Evo and non Evo R1s.

Great information! Thanks for the review.

It appears the R1 Evo and/or the R1 Evo CS will be of little use to me in their present state. The only question I still have is whether its worth upgrading my present X1's to the R1's. Both have a 4 rider limit with the R1 a bit lighter and a 12 hour talk time vs 8 hours on X1's . I don't know if the button control system is easier to use than the X1 or if the two intercom systems are compatible with each other.

Our three ebikes have become so popular with friends and family that I'm considering a fourth, possibly a trike. This would mean adding a fourth helmet as well. The X1's have been discontinued by Sena but are still available for around $200. The R1's have the same 4 rider limit so if I go to 5 bikes or beyond, I'll be forced to look at the Evo's again. By then, perhaps the bugs will have been fixed.

BTW, I have never been a fan of the Sena visors. The one offered for the X1 is totally inadequate for the low sun angle during early morning and late afternoon rides. The R1 version appears to be the same. Instead, I used this one from Bell:

71AY-3oTgnL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

It attaches easily with velcro tabs and can be removed in seconds if desired.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the Bell visors - gonna order up a couple of those and make them fit!:)

@TMH, Thank you so much for your detailed and very helpful review. I have been waiting for and chasing the EVOS daily since spring which has been very frustrating as the biking season rolls by and we don't have the helmets to use. One is finally being delivered today but it is useless without the second which is not available.

And based on your review, with the better intercom and operation on the R1, I just ordered 2 R1'S from Erik's Bike Shops and will be returning the EVO to Amazon. Both Sena and Amazon have had very limited availability on both the R1 and the EVO, so if anyone is looking for an R1, I would suggest Erik's. Again, thank you so much. Looking forward to FINALLY getting and ENJOYING these!

Last edited:
Back