Bike To Bike Communication

I ordered 2 R1’s on 6/5 and they were shipped on 6/12. They shipped via UPS ground and arrived In town on 6/15 before 8AM. There has been no updates since then and it looks like UPS is going to stick to the original scheduled delivery date of 6/17.

I sent a message to their automated system asking if I could do a pickup today, but so far have gotten no reply.

I also ordered 2 visors on 6/6 and they shipped for arrival on 6/18. BTW, I used the free shipping code for both orders since I didn’t want to pay $6+ to ship a $6 visor purchase. It was accepted and I was only charged for the visors. I think the code was “Freeship1” or something similar.

I ordered 2 R1’s on 6/5 and they were shipped on 6/12. They shipped via UPS ground and arrived In town on 6/15 before 8AM. There has been no updates since then and it looks like UPS is going to stick to the original scheduled delivery date of 6/17.

I sent a message to their automated system asking if I could do a pickup today, but so far have gotten no reply.

I also ordered 2 visors on 6/6 and they shipped for arrival on 6/18. BTW, I used the free shipping code for both orders since I didn’t want to pay $6+ to ship a $6 visor purchase. It was accepted and I was only charged for the visors. I think the code was “Freeship1” or something similar.

Did you order the R1's or the R1 EVO? The visors are included with the R1 EVO's according to the Sena website: http://www.buysena.com/R1-Smart-Communications-Helmet.html

No, just the R-1’s. I chose the R-1’s for 2 reasons. I like the colors and I have no reason to pay an extra $30 for the mesh feature that I will never need. I do see the value to others, but I see just the two of us needing the intercom, although 2 more will still be an option.

I got another reply from Sena support and they have now acknowledged that the speed dial feature was documented in the R1 Evo user manual by mistake. The feature is not and will not be implemented in the R1 Evo helmet. The first three responses in my support request were useless references to their motorcycle and R1 product apps and features, so I was glad to finally get a definitive answer.

In general, I am finding the phone integration feature for making or answering calls to be flawed and pretty useless in the R1 Evo helmets. Maybe it is just the Android version and possibly works better on iPhones. It is a little disappointing, but not a big deal because the main reason I bought the helmets is for the intercom feature and that works well. The FM radio and music features also seem to work OK, but I doubt that I will use them unless I am riding alone (and that is rare).

No, just the R-1’s. I chose the R-1’s for 2 reasons. I like the colors and I have no reason to pay an extra $30 for the mesh feature that I will never need. I do see the value to others, but I see just the two of us needing the intercom, although 2 more will still be an option.

I feel much the same way about my older X1's since I rarely ride with more than 3 others. My main interest in the R1 EVO's is the extended range and ease of setting up the intercom via the voice command. The X1's are a bit cumbersome and require pressing multiple buttons for specific periods of time. It usually takes 2 or 3 tries to get it working.

I feel much the same way about my older X1's since I rarely ride with more than 3 others. My main interest in the R1 EVO's is the extended range and ease of setting up the intercom via the voice command. The X1's are a bit cumbersome and require pressing multiple buttons for specific periods of time. It usually takes 2 or 3 tries to get it working.

It seems to me the extended range is only if you have your riding companions stretched out beyond the approx. 1/2 mile range of the R-1 helmets. From the website description given, two riders will still only have the basic 1/2 mile range. I'm pretty sure the nature of mesh networks is that each node is a repeater for the common signal. Sort of a "Connect The Dots" system if you will.

It seems to me the extended range is only if you have your riding companions stretched out beyond the approx. 1/2 mile range of the R-1 helmets. From the website description given, two riders will still only have the basic 1/2 mile range. I'm pretty sure the nature of mesh networks is that each node is a repeater for the common signal. Sort of a "Connect The Dots" system if you will.
Yes, that is correct. It works out nicely because my wife and I often ride with our son. We are in our mid 70's and our son in mid 40's. My wife is on an Evelo trike and goes considerably slower than me. And my son, being in better shape goes considerably faster than me even though he is on a conventional non-E bike. So we do tend to get stretched out from each other. We try to stop at appropriate distances to catch up with each other, and the Sena R1-Evo helmets are working very well for us to know when it is time to "stop and wait up".

Before we had the Sena helmets, my wife had an incident where her trike battery ran low and she couldn't remember how to switch to the second battery. She then discovered her cell phone was also dead. My son and I were up ahead on the trail waiting at a designated place for her to catch up. After about 10 or 15 minutes when she didn't show and didn't answer the phone, we started back down the trail to see what happened. By then she was kind of beside herself with anxiety. If we had the Sena helmets at that time, the whole incident would have played better.

Now that we have the Sena helmets, we check in with each other every few minutes with a simple "hello" to make sure we are all still in range. When it goes silent we know it is time to stop and wait for the others to catch up.

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct. It works out nicely because my wife and I often ride with our son. We are in our mid 70's and our son in mid 40's. My wife is on an Evelo trike and goes considerably slower than me. And my son, being in better shape goes considerably faster than me even though he is on a conventional non-E bike. So we do tend to get stretched out from each other. We try to stop at appropriate distances to catch up with each other, and the Sena R1-Evo helmets are working very well for us to know when it is time to "stop and wait up".

Before we had the Sena helmets, my wife had an incident where her trike battery ran low and she couldn't remember how to switch to the second battery. She then discovered her cell phone was also dead. My son and I were up ahead on the trail waiting at a designated place for her to catch up. After about 10 or 15 minutes when she didn't show and didn't answer the phone, we started back down the trail to see what happened. By then she was kind of beside herself with anxiety. If we had the Sena helmets at that time, the whole incident would have played better.

Now that we have the Sena helmets, we check in with each other every few minutes with a simple "hello" to make sure we are all still in range. When it goes silent we know it is time to stop and wait for the others to catch up.
To further share TMI: ordered two Sena R1 EVO thru propelbikes this a.m.; they shipped today. Decided go with communications over lights options as 61 yo husband is riding regular bike until comfortable spending the E-bucks. Wears himself out behind my 65 yo legs spinning in PAS 4. Otherwise, might lose him in more ways than one :oops:
will report.

You are correct. When just my wife and I ride, there would be no range benefit. I have 3 bikes and 3- X1 helmets. When a friend or other family member rides with us, we tend to spread out more and the mesh technology would be an advantage.

I got my 2 R1's today and have been playing around with them. It was a little weird though, the helmet language was in German I believe. I didn't see anything in the quick start guide about that option and did an on line search to learn that I needed to download a device manager app to my Windows desktop, then install an update to the helmet, and run a configuration procedure to install English!

After that the voice prompts began to make a little more sense. The speakers are pretty tinny for playing music in my opinion. I suppose with some road & traffic noise it won't matter much though. I called my home number and left a voicemail and it sounded pretty good so others should be able to hear us if we need to make or take a call while wearing the helmets. There is an overwhelming number of features and options built in, but I suspect I'll only be familar with and use a handful on a regular basis. All in all, I'm impressed with the controls and clarity of the intercom.

Edited to add: I have programmed the 3 Speed Dial numbers using my iPhone App and will try that later today. I did a test call to my wife in her car and she said it sounded fine.

Last edited:
I got my 2 R1's today and have been playing around with them. It was a little weird though, the helmet language was in German I believe. I didn't see anything in the quick start guide about that option and did an on line search to learn that I needed to download a device manager app, install an update, and run a configuration procedure to install English!

After that the voice prompts began to make a little more sense. The speakers are pretty tinny for playing music in my opinion. I suppose with some road & traffic noise it won't matter much though. I called my home number and left a voicemail and it sounded pretty good so others should be able to hear us if we need to make or take a call while wearing the helmets. There is an overwhelming number of features and options built in, but I suspect I'll only be familar with and use a handful on a regular basis. All in all, I'm impressed with the controls and clarity of the intercom.

Similar experience with the older X1's. The manual did have an English section though along with several other languages. I also downloaded the app and updated the firmware. The app also lets you control some of the helmet features but I haven't tried it yet.

I agree about the tinny speakers for music. IMO, they are on par with the speakers in my smartphone. External "boom box" speakers or ear buds are the only alternatives for better sound. I avoid these options because they mask road sounds which can be very dangerous.

I tried to listen to some familiar songs from my iPhone 11 Pro Max playlist and it bordered on being painful. My phone playback through it's two speakers (Earpiece & Bottom Speaker) are tolerable to decent, even at moderate to loud levels. The helmet sounded like crappy $1 earbuds from The Dollar Store. On the other hand, cellular and intercom voices sounded pretty decent. I haven't had an R1 on the road yet, but I'd be more tempted to listen to just one airpod earbud than the built ins, but probably skip both for safety's sake.

The app lets you set Speed Dial numbers, and FM station presets which might be difficult just using the helmet buttons. I also made two calls from Siri Voice Dialing which were dialed correctly, so that's nice to have. I doubt I will be making many/any calls unless it's something like 911. I have an Apple Watch and it is great for calls with my phone in my pocket. I think I would be more prone to just pull over and call then. Speaking of that, do many users here mount their phones on the handlebars? I'm trying to decide if that is something I might do.

I finally received my two R1's yesterday, June 20, after ordering them on June 8. Sena's shipping department is really slow, though they were very fast to charge my credit card. Charged the helmets and now I have to set them up.

Received 2 Sena R1 EVOs yesterday after Chris of Propelbikes sent them out same-day ordered Tuesday (thank you!). Set up today—great prez for Father’s Day/37th anniversary, hubs says.

Large works very well for spouse, medium for me. visor attachment helpful. Received with updated firmware and English speaking; set up easy tho will take some practice coordinating when to tap versus hold button, vs speak to prompt preferred action from helmet, or from mobile phone when system switches from Sena functions to app to Siri functions. Mesh intercom excellent, phone fine with practice, music OK given a lack of expectations, tail light appreciated. tested around the house but await second bike’s return from shop to road test.

The only hitch was the “device manager” didn’t fully download to computer from sena.com, so glad didn’t immediately need firmware update. will work on that.

What updated firmware version do your R1 Evo's have? Mine came with version 1.0, and the app says it is the current version. And there are definitely some bugs in it.

What updated firmware version do your R1 Evo's have? Mine came with version 1.0, and the app says it is the current version. And there are definitely some bugs in it.
V. 1.0, which the app shows as current, as you noted. I wouldn’t be surprised if exist bugs we haven‘t found or would misinterpret as “ us/new user error.”
Are these bugs you’ve described earlier?
We’ll have more opportunities to work with this weekend and upcoming two-week vacay where taking bikes.

I rented two ebikes this past Sunday and took our Sena R1 helmets out for a spin. They work well, but seem to be mostly line of sight. In town if I went around a corner and got mid block, the intercom began to break up until the second unit turned the corner. Several city blocks apart was a good connection as long as we were both on the same street. I need to double check the Noise Cancelling setup to get that function optimized. I noticed that if a car was close or passing my wife's helmet, I got a lot of noise her mic picked up. It may just be that I need to adjust both volumes to appropriate levels. All in all, they performed quite well and were incredibly useful and now seem like a necessity for riding with another person. Especially since I was always in the lead, and the bikes we rented had no mirrors. I assume in the country or areas without vehicles, the ambient sounds picked up would practically disappear.

Last edited:
Sena has a new listing for helmets called the R1 EVO CS. They look essentially exactly like the R1 EVO. Anyone have any info on the CS version?

Sena has a new listing for helmets called the R1 EVO CS. They look essentially exactly like the R1 EVO. Anyone have any info on the CS version?

It appears the only difference is the CS version has the speakers located in the chin straps rather than the helmet itself. There is a comparison chart located in this Amazon listing:

Back