Bike tires? Puncture proof? Skid proof?

We use Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tyres, which have their highest puncture resistance rating. However, no tyre is puncture proof.

Have a look at the Schwalbe website as it gives ratings for puncture resistance, handling and other parameters for all their tyres.

They also do a thicker inner tube, called Air Plus with added extra protection, which we use.

Also use Weldtite sealant which does appear to work. Recently after getting a puncture that didn’t seal, I noticed orange dots in the inner tube showing where the sealant had done its job. But patched them up as well for good measure.

If you use sealant and carry a CO2 inflater rather than a pump, this works when out riding. Used a few times and always managed to continue the ride. Sometimes repairing the puncture when I get back, but often it is OK.

DG…

Which is why I am liking the Tannus airless tires!
Yes but on a bike everything is a compromise. In order to get flat proofing you must sacrifice something else. I have never tried the airless tires but I have been told that they are less comfortable with increased rolling resistance.They are interesting though and I would love to hear your 6 month review if you get them. https://www.bikeroar.com/articles/tannus-airless-solid-tire-review-aither-1-dot-1-road

Last edited:
No such thing as puncture nor skid proof. Tubeless (with sealant) is best for flat prevention. Err, there are those airless things, but there are big tradeoffs there.

Choose a tire that suits the type of riding you'll be doing for better traction. Since you'll be staying on pavement, choose a pavement tire. My favorite pavement tire is the Maxxis Torch, but YMMV.

Err, there are those airless things, but there are big tradeoffs there.

You're speaking from experience or assumptions without having even set eyes on them?
Of course there are compromises, there are with any tire/tube/sealant choice. I'd say "Err, there are those big heavy tires with heavy duty tubes and sealant, but there are big tradeoffs there" but that would be based on my preferences and actual experience as I've had those on more than one bicycle. Or how about the "big tradeoffs" associated with riding an ebike vs a regular non-assist bike? Probably most of the members here have come to the conclusion that inherent ebike compromises are worth it - for the most part at least. Cyclists often enjoy the simple freedom and experience of riding a bicycle and for me the advantages associated with Tannus airless outweigh the disadvantages, at least for the bikes that I have Tannus airless tires installed. There are other companies working on possibly better performing airless tires, I hope they are successful.
Bottom line is that there is no perfect no-compromise choice, pick based on your personal preference. That's why there are so many products available to choose from - one size doesn't fit all.

Yes but on a bike everything is a compromise. In order to get flat proofing you must sacrifice something else. I have never tried the airless tires but I have been told that they are less comfortable with increased rolling resistance.They are interesting though and I would love to hear your 6 month review if you get them. https://www.bikeroar.com/articles/tannus-airless-solid-tire-review-aither-1-dot-1-road
The C380 has shock absorbers, so that might offset any of the harsher ride. And one of my primary objectives is to get in better shape, so if I have to work a little harder, I am fine with that.

it won't. even high end suspension wont. Plus they will be dogs to roll.
I'm curious how you came to this conclusion do you have extensive (or any) personal experience with them and I'm not talking about some airless tires that you might have on your wheelbarrow or some kiddie bike.
As I mentioned in my prior post I do feel that rolling friction feels higher than the Schwalbe Marathons that I replaced with the Tannus airless but they aren't exactly"dogs to roll" IMO. Traction, handling and ride quality/comfort in some conditions also seems somewhat less optimal but not a deal breaker to me compared to the Marathon tires. Both traction and rolling resistance did seem to improve with break in (Tannus mentions 60 miles for break in). Regarding your statement "get AAA for the bike tow and take the bike to a shop and have them fix it", I assume you are kidding, right? If someone was not capable or just doesn't want to fix a flat on a ride why wait for how long for AAA to show up then have to take a bike to a bike shop to fix a flat when you can eliminate the possibility of a flat tire and bypass that nonsense with the airless tires? I wouldn't put them on all of my bikes but I'm pretty happy with the advantages they provide for the couple bikes that I have them on.

this review is from someone who seems like a more serious cyclist.

in my experience they were ridiculously hard to install. If I bought them again I'd consider buying preinstalled on a wheelset, which is a purchase option.
this is from a bike shop owner

Last edited:
Check local bike shops and any REi's in your area to learn bike maintenance. They do have classes on it. Learn what you need to carry on the bike to fix the flat. Getting hung up on getting stuck is going to get you hung up on not riding and getting into shape. It is not as hard as you think. Nothing like a car. It's just an inconvenience. and not as common as you think if you ride as smart as possible.

What does "dogs to roll" mean?
It means you will notice the rolling resistance. I have no idea how true that is. Their website makes the Tannus Airless tire sound pretty good though. Of course, they might be a little biased.

If they solve the flat tire problem, what are you going to do if your chain falls off, or any of dozens of other petty or not so petty issues arise? If you are someone who is physically unable to change a tire, I respect that. Even if you just don't want to get your hands dirty, that's okay. But as someone else said, flats aren't all that common. Some people do have spells of bad luck, but I've had one flat in about 2k miles. Fixed it on the trail, in a lot less time and effort than any alternative.

I haven't tried them so, I don't know, but it makes me wonder, if Tannus Airless tires are the panacea for flats, why aren't they on all bikes as original equipment?

TT

I'm curious how you came to this conclusion do you have extensive (or any) personal experience with them and I'm not talking about some airless tires that you might have on your wheelbarrow or some kiddie bike.
As I mentioned in my prior post I do feel that rolling friction feels higher than the Schwalbe Marathons that I replaced with the Tannus airless but they aren't exactly"dogs to roll" IMO. Traction, handling and ride quality/comfort in some conditions also seems somewhat less optimal but not a deal breaker to me compared to the Marathon tires. Both traction and rolling resistance did seem to improve with break in (Tannus mentions 60 miles for break in). Regarding your statement "get AAA for the bike tow and take the bike to a shop and have them fix it", I assume you are kidding, right? If someone was not capable or just doesn't want to fix a flat on a ride why wait for how long for AAA to show up then have to take a bike to a bike shop to fix a flat when you can eliminate the possibility of a flat tire and bypass that nonsense with the airless tires? I wouldn't put them on all of my bikes but I'm pretty happy with the advantages they provide for the couple bikes that I have them on.
I have kept track of people using them and I have put maybe 15,000 miles on marathon plus's I think they are dogs too. they drove me to try tubeless on our tandem and man it really showed me how bad the marathons feel and how much they rub energy and slow you dont.

What does "dogs to roll" mean?
It's the nature of forums, I consider the source of comments and leave it at that. To be clear I'm not recommending them, just relaying my experience - which to me has been good. Just like the YouTube videos I linked and other's who have provided experience their points of view. A matter of preferences, expectations, experience and biases.
Here's the bike they are installed on, a Walmart bike that I've had for years - love it and ridden thousands of happy miles on it. Others might dismiss it as a garbage big box store bike, that's all right as it's mine and not theirs.
IMG_20231027_163132348_HDR.jpg

I got on EBR this evening to post what happened to me today but this thread lends itself well so I will post here. I commute with my ebike roughly 3000 miles a year. I quickly got 'tired'(excuse the pun) of getting flats. The easiest thing for me to do was call my wife and have her pick me up in the minivan. This gave me the luxury of fixing the flat in my garage. I eventually went to the marathon ultras. When those wore out, I went to the marathon e plus. Problem solved.

Riding to work in the dark this morning, I saw a coyote on the road. It ran in front of me for about a minute. While watching it, KA'THUMP. Wonder I didn't crash. I heard the car behind me hit it also. I pulled over at the first wide spot after this to let the car go on but they pulled in behind me. When the young woman got out of her car, I asked her if she saw what it was we ran over. She said: "No, but I think I got a flat." She did, and I helped her change her tire.

I rode on to work, about another 14 miles. At work I thought it prudent to check my bike tires. Well, I pulled a part of a roofing tack out of my rear tire. (See image.) I figured it would instantly go flat when I pulled out the nail. It didn't. I figured it would go flat through the course of the day. It didn't. I called my wife and put her on standby before I started home. I figured she would be picking me up somewhere along my 20.5 mile ride home. She didn't.

I ordered a new marathon ultra and tube earlier this evening. I really want to keep running on the punctured tire just to see how long it makes it, but I feel the safest thing to do is go ahead and replace it ASAP.

Accolades and kudos to the Schwalbe Marathon E Plus.

Attachments

• 1698456796904510724740.jpg
    1698456796904510724740.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 1698456843167413754808.jpg
    1698456843167413754808.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 53
I got on EBR this evening to post what happened to me today but this thread lends itself well so I will post here. I commute with my ebike roughly 3000 miles a year. I quickly got 'tired'(excuse the pun) of getting flats. The easiest thing for me to do was call my wife and have her pick me up in the minivan. This gave me the luxury of fixing the flat in my garage. I eventually went to the marathon ultras. When those wore out, I went to the marathon e plus. Problem solved.

Riding to work in the dark this morning, I saw a coyote on the road. It ran in front of me for about a minute. While watching it, KA'THUMP. Wonder I didn't crash. I heard the car behind me hit it also. I pulled over at the first wide spot after this to let the car go on but they pulled in behind me. When the young woman got out of her car, I asked her if she saw what it was we ran over. She said: "No, but I think I got a flat." She did, and I helped her change her tire.

I rode on to work, about another 14 miles. At work I thought it prudent to check my bike tires. Well, I pulled a part of a roofing tack out of my rear tire. (See image.) I figured it would instantly go flat when I pulled out the nail. It didn't. I figured it would go flat through the course of the day. It didn't. I called my wife and put her on standby before I started home. I figured she would be picking me up somewhere along my 20.5 mile ride home. She didn't.

I ordered a new marathon ultra and tube earlier this evening. I really want to keep running on the punctured tire just to see how long it makes it, but I feel the safest thing to do is go ahead and replace it ASAP.

Accolades and kudos to the Schwalbe Marathon E Plus.
I second that! I haven’t had anything that dramatic happen to me, but my Marathon E Plus tires have been very very good.

My old and boring story...
When I first got an EMTB in 2018 I got 3 flats in about 4 months. I immediately went tubeless and for 5 years and thousands of kilometers across 2 EMTBs I have not had a flat since then.
The culprit for me was blackberry thorns.
Both of my bikes came with tubeless "ready" rims and tires.
Zero regrets. YMMV.
***EDIT***
Tires I've run tubeless are Maxxis Forkaster, Maxxis Rekon, and currently Continental Ruban (not eRuban).
These on Giant tubeless ready rims.

I used to get several flats a year on thin Gatorskin tires. I switched to Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (Mid level puncture protection) and got fewer flats. I then tried Schwalbe Marathons(Better protection) with Slime inner tubes. I got one puncture with those, a screw. When I pulled the screw out the tire began losing air fast so I rolled the tire a few revolutions and the slime sealed the puncture so I could ride home with some air left in the tire. I now use Schwalbe Marathon Plus and E-Plus(both Level 7, the best) with Slime tubes on my two bikes and have had zero punctures in the last 4 or 5 years. The higher rated (flatless) Schwalbes have so far been just that.

the problem I found with tubes and sealant was first pressure you really need lower pressure like below 50 or 60 pis for best effect. but the second is fining what's in the tire. usually I could never find anything on the outside and only found it when I took the tire off and felt and found it on the inside. if yo cant get it out then it wont seal.

Back