Bike Seat

I have the Selle Royal Avenue and found the Royal Gel too mushy. Which model do you recommend that has a firmer gel? I have wide sit bones (120 mm).
Klee I know every butt and seat is different so take it with a grain of salt but I find the Selle Royal Respiro Moderate a Goldilocks (not too firm not too soft )compromise after only 250 km

I really like my two-piece noseless seat. There are lots of different noseless seats out there. Do a search if you're interested, both here on the forum and a general internet search. Mine is a two-piece seat. The two sides move independently, and have a control so I can move the two sides over an inch apart from one another. It is an adjustment to try something so different, and at first I was skeptical, but after about a week I was sold. It completely solved my pain problem. I still get a little fanny fatigue, but no pain.

I have the Selle Royal Avenue and found the Royal Gel too mushy. Which model do you recommend that has a firmer gel? I have wide sit bones (120 mm).
No one has mentioned a noseless, left/right independent, pivoting seat design. Are these not worth considering?

No one has mentioned a noseless, left/right independent, pivoting seat design. Are these not worth considering?
I had one of those and I used it for about 6 months. It puts no pressure on your prostate which is its strength, but it is like sitting on two large suction cups that can be adjusted nicely to contact around your sit bones (and of course have no suction). This is fine until you need to use the saddle for control with your thighs. Then you miss the nose. So if you like to go fast or over bumps and keep in complete control I would look elsewhere. If you stay in eco on smooth surfaces it works comfortably. Ebikemom, you have no worries about a prostate so where was your pain?

Last edited:
Yup sometimes I see a bike seat positioned in a way that makes me wince because I know that I could not ride like that. The most common error I see is a seat that is clearly too low for the rider. Whenever I see that I know the person is not a frequent cyclist because they will surely get knee pain.

Yes I concur, that I have observed the same thing. Some of these riders need a bit more educating in this area. I recently have been using a standard equipped dropper seat post and I have to say it was long overdue. It is a must have for various types of riding IMO. I highly recommend to anyone who has never considered using one. A nice addition to any bike.

I had one of those and I used it for about 6 months. It puts no pressure on your prostate which is its strength, but it is like sitting on two large suction cups that can be adjusted nicely to contact around your sit bones (and of course have no suction). This is fine until you need to use the saddle for control with your thighs. Then you miss the nose. So if you like to go fast or over bumps and keep in complete control I would look elsewhere. If you stay in eco on smooth surfaces it works comfortably. Ebikemom, you have no worries about a prostate so where was your pain?
Yes, when riding/coasting off saddle. I use my knees to stabilize the bicycle pressing against the nose of the saddle.

I've always had good comfort with WTB SpeedV saddles. Reasonable price and durability, sporty looks, comes in versions from super light to gel, and they've had a loyal following for many years. While there is probably a more comfortable seat out there for me somewhere, this one has been a reliable performer.

1563304756616.png

It is still a super comfy saddle but I think it should last longer than it did. To be fair I should not have been lifting the bike by the saddle so if you have one of these types of saddles grab something else when lifting. I have replaced it with this Selle Royale Respiro moderate. It has gel but is a bit firmer than the Bontrager and has a shape that offers more control with your legs.There is also a wind channel to cool your crotch! I have approx 200 km on this one but it seems like a nice balance between sport and comfort and so far I would recommend it highly.View attachment 35286
This is my saddle and I love it. No pain.... ?

Attachments

• 20190713_075842.jpg
    20190713_075842.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 393
  • 20190713_075618.jpg
    20190713_075618.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 416
The Performance RX version is narrower: WP_20190719_16_19_14_Pro_LI (2).jpg and mine pictured here looks even a little narrower -both saddle and opening- than today's pic on Amazon, where I got it, though about 6 years ago.

I took a level on top of my seat and made it true. What a difference in comfort. Good advice here!
This only works with non-padded seats. Those padded (gel, foam or whatever is inside) - have a rounded profile with prominent "bunnies"at the back and similarly cushioned nose. There is no straight line when you look at it from the side.

For myself, I've stopped for now on 10x10" Cloud 9 Tricolor Black. With springs and all. On suspension post. The previous one was 8" wide VeloPlush and it was less comfortable. Width made a difference, even though I don't have much extra weight - 5'6", 155 lbs.

This is distance- and style-dependent. My trips are short, under 40 minutes one way (with ebikes it is TIME rather than miles, because speed and amount of PAS is a big unknown here). Style (upright vs aggressive) also matters.

I have dealt with the sore backside issue for sometime. I have also purchased different seats and gel seat covers, tried bike underware, padded bike shorts etc. I have recently found that Serfas Dual Density Saddles seat technology does most of what they claim with putting your sitz bones right where they should be on the seat making for a very comfortable ride. I now have them on both of my bikes and the sore backside days are over, completely. It has made my entire bike riding experience so much more enjoyable. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the link, I'm desperate, I have over 50 years of seats accumulated and don't have one I find comfortable. Which seat did you get?

I'm 80 now but when I was younger I could tolerate an uncomfortable seat but not now, I just returned from a ride and ouch. If the seat feels reasonably comfortable I can never seem to get the right fore and aft setting, I was squirming and shifting back and forth the whole ride today. The lack of comfort forces me to stop for a rest quite often, what should of taken me two hours today on our rail trail took me three. I'm frustrated.

Thanks for the link, I'm desperate, I have over 50 years of seats accumulated and don't have one I find comfortable. Which seat did you get?

I'm 80 now but when I was younger I could tolerate an uncomfortable seat but not now, I just returned from a ride and ouch. If the seat feels reasonably comfortable I can never seem to get the right fore and aft setting, I was squirming and shifting back and forth the whole ride today. The lack of comfort forces me to stop for a rest quite often, what should of taken me two hours today on our rail trail took me three. I'm frustrated.

Felize-Any of the Dual Density seats that Serfas makes, may be your ticket to a comfortable ride. Your best bet may be to go to your LBS and get fitted with one. If they are a Serfas dealer, they usually can order the one you want from their catalog. They have a "90 day comfort guarantee" so you don't get stuck with an uncomfortable seat. I have 2 (one for each bike) the DDM-200 and the DDM-CT. Good luck.

t
Felize-Any of the Dual Density seats that Serfas makes, may be your ticket to a comfortable ride. Your best bet may be to go to your LBS and get fitted with one. If they are a Serfas dealer, they usually can order the one you want from their catalog. They have a "90 day comfort guarantee" so you don't get stuck with an uncomfortable seat. I have 2 (one for each bike) the DDM-200 and the DDM-CT. Good luck.

Bob, thanks I'll check out the dealers in my town.

If you feel like you've been riding on this:
86178912f6612f719a6a130c4e7d50fe.jpg

Or this:

tumblr_mnshxtG3yq1rf9cmgo4_r1_500.jpg
CmYiynmgU2T_eEwOe8RtX17iJ2tBYiQ7g2tBgng73HI.jpg

You may need one of these:

s1600_6BC6A3FD_671F_4D55_857D_3E9A9A7CA072.jpg
20066907_1615046715201776_7527018847249891328_n.jpg

fcg5t0cffkek7z4.medium5ba875ab07.jpg
sofa-bike-web_orig.jpg

Heck, you may want to give up the bike completely and ride something like this:

7c43774706ebca330b8fa3a74771cfff.jpg