Bike Rack for ebike

Nxkharra

Please share what types of bike rack do you use to carry your 59+pound ebike?
I have a Thule four bike rack that has 140
Pounds capacity.
Do you see any issues?
Should I remove the battery before loading the bike? This will reduce the weight by 6-7 pounds.
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before I am new to the forum.

Last edited:
This is a very popular topic here on the forum. You might check out some of these threads:

The make of your bike and the vehicle you want to carry it with might help others provide specific suggestions.

Removing the battery is always a good idea to reduce weight and also as a security measure.

I decided to use a carrier that can work either in a van, SUV, or pickup truck. It's from Saris and can hold up to 3 bikes. Here is a picture of it carrying two non E bikes.

Attachments

• IMG_3532.jpg
    IMG_3532.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 331
I just got done installing a Yakima HoldUp2.
Bought it from ETrailer and it was here in 3 days.

I have not loaded a bike on it yet so this is just installation comments.

1. Very easy to install and the directions are very clear. I told my wife, "I haven't had this easy an install in ages!" From box to done maybe 20 minutes?
2. It's on a 2013 Tundra and when the rack is down there is a lot of tailgate clearance. I was a little worried the tailgate would not go fully down but no issue.
3. Side to side sway is pretty minimual for a hitch style rack.
4, Fit and finish is top notch.
5, Folds up much smaller than I thought it would be.

Without loading a bike on it(which is really the money shot right?) I like it.
I have a couple issues I have to deal with. I think I have to take off the front wheel plastic gaurd on the hoop to fit my fat tire.
AND both my bikes have fenders. So will probably end up removing front fenders.

One last engineering comment...the brackets hold the trays from above. That is the trays "hang" on 4 bolts to the main frame.
Why would you not flip the bracket up and put it on the top so the frame supports the trays....It would literally be a matter of flipping a bracket over.
Just my engineering 2cents.

Attachments

• IMG_3983.JPG
    IMG_3983.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 310
Please share what types of bike rack do you use to carry your 59+pound ebike?
I have a Thule four bike rack that has 140
Pounds capacity.
Do you see any issues?
Should I remove the battery before loading the bike? This will reduce the weight by 6-7 pounds.
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before I am new to the forum.
I just bought a Hollywood HR3000 off of etrailer. Holds 2 bikes for a combined 100lbs. Hope to take delivery of new ebikes next week and the plan is to take battery and maybe even seat off while transporting.

There was just a thread on this maybe a week ago or less, should be within like the first 2 pages.

That said, my Saris EX 2-Bike rack has really been amazing. It's very, very solid and fits my gigantic E-Lux Tahoe Sport well when most can't handle it due to wheel base.

I just bought a Hollywood HR3000 off of etrailer. Holds 2 bikes for a combined 100lbs. Hope to take delivery of new ebikes next week and the plan is to take battery and maybe even seat off while transporting.

Let us know how you like the new HR3000. Post some pics if you can.

I always remove both battery and seat while transporting. As well as saving weight, it's also a security measure to prevent theft. If you do remove the seat, make sure you cap the seat tube to prevent rain, dirt and other debris from entering. on most bikes, the seat tube opens into the bottom bracket and over time, debris can foul the crank bearings.

I bought an ultra tow from northern tool, has a 200 lb weight capacity for two bicycles, so far so good, I put both my mini and Rover on it with no problem. Looks like it's on sale right now for $129.99, it does require a 2 inch hitch, so I bought an adapter from harbor freight

I always hang my bike on the rack so front of the bike is on the left side (driver side of the car).
I have seen some people do it the opposite.
Is this so the drive gears of the bike to face away from car?
Does it matter which way?

I always hang my bike on the rack so front of the bike is on the left side (driver side of the car).
I have seen some people do it the opposite.
Is this so the drive gears of the bike to face away from car?
Does it matter which way?

It depends on the rack. If you have clearance with your vehicle, the direction really doesn't matter. If you carry two bikes, some racks require the bikes to be placed in opposite directions to get the proper clearance.

Have been very happy with our KUAT 2.0. Only draw back is that it is freaking heavy to install and remove from the vehicle. I recently purchased their accessory ramp so I can roll the bikes up on the rack rather than lift them up. It is a little cumbersome to use but well worth it when the lower back is cranky. I remove batteries, seats, bags and controllers when traveling with the bikes on the rack. We carry two E-bikes happily.

Is it OK to take the batteries out and then in on a regular basis? I have been doing the same also when I travel with car.
Someone told me the dust and insects might get in the battery housing.

Is it OK to take the batteries out and then in on a regular basis? I have been doing the same also when I travel with car.
Someone told me the dust and insects might get in the battery housing.

I haven't heard any reports of battery terminals wearing out from normal use. Most are likely designed to last the life of the battery.

Exposure to debris getting in the battery housing depends on the type of rack you use. I carry my bikes in the bed of my pickup and haven't had that problem. Transporting a bike on a rear rack is another issue. If you notice any debris build-up, wrap, plug or cap the housing. Something as simple as Saran Wrap and rubber bands would work. I've seen bikers with rear rack batteries stuff a rag into the open housing when transporting.

Back