Best eBike Rack for Tesla Model 3

AmandaPotter

Region
USA
I'm looking for a bike rack that could carry 2 Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQs. We've been told they weigh about 35 pounds each. The Tesla roof rack specs say they could handle them but worry about getting the bikes up there and/or damaging the glass roof. We can install a hitch but are still not sure what is the best bike rack for them, would prefer the rack doesn't stick out too far.

1UpUSA is just about always the answer to this one. Thule has some excellent stuff too, but I don’t know how you can beat the 1Up for overall quality, ease of use and design.

Edit: Possibly issue with the back fender and that taillight. Someone here will be able to address that aspect of it, I’m sure.

Thule also makes a nice rack for ebikes.
You'll be better off going with a hitch. If possible, go with a 2" receiver, which has considerably more max tongue weight over the 1.5" model.

I noticed that Thule makes a rack with built-in tail lights, although I'm not sure if that model is available in North America.
If you go with a hitch and carry two ebikes there is a very good chance your Tesla's tail lights will be hidden, along with your licence plate.

There are some factors for me like depending on what type of budget I have, how long will I keep, ease of use, security, storage concerns in the vehicle or at home, % of time I need to carry 1 versus 2 bikes. I went with the dual QuikRStuff rack+ramp; which, is very similar to 1Up rack with improvements I liked. Not a cheap rack and the wait time is around 2 months. QuikRStuff works with small kid bikes and up to 56" long wheel base 5" Fat tire bikes with no extra parts/tools to adjust the rack system like some others. You can fold up both racks and place in a corner in the garage, toss in the hatch, or back in a closet at home.

2016 Radrover at +75lbs
2023 Radcity Step-Thru at +72lbs
One rack come in at 28lbs and holds 120lbs total
Second rack comes in at 22lbs and hold 240lbs total for both
Second pic of both racks installed with ebike ramp attached to 2nd rack
Rack with bike ramp.jpg

Rack with both bikes driver side.jpg

Last edited:
worry about getting the bikes up there and/or damaging the glass roof. We can install a hitch but are still not sure what is the best bike rack for them, would prefer the rack doesn't stick out too far.

Go for a hitch !
Have you ever seen the result of bikes on roof rack vs an immovable object ( eg shed roof) ? Not everyone is silly enough to forget they have bikes on the roof of their 4x4 ...but some of us have done it more than once.
Oh, and don't tease your wife when she does it, because when it's your turn.....

Level 2 on the 1UP 1.25 single. Solid as a rock. I even broke down and ordered the fender cushion!

Attachments

• Level 2 and the 1up.jpg
    Level 2 and the 1up.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 67
Back