Bike Lock

16 seconds to defeat the lock. It is much better to keep a bike you value in sight at all times an next to you in a secure location. Never depend on a lock.
So True PedalUma. Any determined bike thief, given the right tools, can defeat a bike lock IMH.

Since I never let my bike out of my sight, I am more concerned with the casual thief, with a pair of cable cutters, or bolt cutters. I use a cheap cable lock, a combo lock on my rear brake disc, and a motion sensor alarm, just to afford me the time to clobber the offender. Most importantly, I never let my bike out of my sight.

Last edited:
Is it worth upgrading a Kryptonite KryptoLok Standard
to a Kryptonite Evolution Standard
for $60
Level 6 to level 8 security rating
I bought the same U locks from Kryptonite along with 2 cables. About 75 bucks delivered. I also bought a slim 2.6 footer to secure my quick release seats on all my bikes...

Kryptonite Evolution Mini-7 Bike U-Lock with Cable, Heavy Duty Anti-Theft Bicycle U Lock, 13mm Shackle and 10mm x4ft Length Security Cable with Mounting Bracket and Keys​

Kryptonite KryptoFlex Security Cable, 2.6FT/4FT/7FT/30FT Long Braided Steel Flex Bike Lock Anti-Theft Cable with Looped Ends for Outdoor Equipment, U-Lock and Padlock, 5mm-10mm Thick​

Someone once pointed out that a seat post is the same diameter as a shotgun shell. 😱

Someone once pointed out that a seat post is the same diameter as a shotgun shell. 😱
I have maybe used my seat cable once or twice in their 3 or 4 year careers! And the Ulocks have not been used much either. I try and take my bike inside with me where ever I go including home...

I bought the new lock, the Kryptonite Evolution Standard. It feels heavier and better. I use a cheapo cable on the front wheel, seat and helmet also. I take the cheaper bike when visiting some neighborhoods.

I like the Evo series of locks by Kryptonite. Concerning wheel and seat locks, I use HexLox. Key/lock/cover. Spaced for thread length of axel. Installed.

Attachments

• 20230923_194035.jpg
    20230923_194035.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230923_193839.jpg
    20230923_193839.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230923_194213.jpg
    20230923_194213.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
From my experience in cutting locks off of things where keys were lost.
Chain can be cut pretty quickly and easily with bolt cutters. Grinders work too.
Wound cable is VERY hard to cut with bolt cutters. Cable cutters can, but its not easy.
The U shaped locks will take a grinder. No cutting that thickness with bolt cutters.

The Krypto folding lock has my interest. And frankly, not sure why its not more highly rated.
No cutter will work. A grinder would work but as thick as it is, might take a while, which is a good thing.

Cutting torch will make quick work of anything, but not too many casual thieves walking around with that.

From my experience in cutting locks off of things where keys were lost.
Chain can be cut pretty quickly and easily with bolt cutters. Grinders work too.
Wound cable is VERY hard to cut with bolt cutters. Cable cutters can, but its not easy.
The U shaped locks will take a grinder. No cutting that thickness with bolt cutters.

The Krypto folding lock has my interest. And frankly, not sure why its not more highly rated.
No cutter will work. A grinder would work but as thick as it is, might take a while, which is a good thing.

Cutting torch will make quick work of anything, but not too many casual thieves walking around with that.
Having had one unlocked e-bike stolen recently from my fenced in backyard, I am now more alert to the need for bicycle security. Chains of impressive thickness are readily available and, like most U locks, they are probably immune to bolt cutters, but almost nothing is safe against even a cheap portable angle grinder. This had gotten me thinking, and I wonder why I have not seen a U lock with some type of plastic or epoxy coating which would gum-up a grinding wheel to make it ineffective before it bit into the metal.

Having had one unlocked e-bike stolen recently from my fenced in backyard, I am now more alert to the need for bicycle security. Chains of impressive thickness are readily available and, like most U locks, they are probably immune to bolt cutters, but almost nothing is safe against even a cheap portable angle grinder. This had gotten me thinking, and I wonder why I have not seen a U lock with some type of plastic or epoxy coating which would gum-up a grinding wheel to make it ineffective before it bit into the metal.
Litelok x1 and x3 are exactly what you're looking for. but they are not cheap. Look them up, there is a good video on them.
And remember, a portable torch can make VERY short work of ANYTHING. My son lost the key to his U-lock at school and that was my solution. Maybe two seconds.
Good news is, most casual POS thieves do not walk around with a torch kit.

Last edited:
I confess I don't get it.

You spend a fortune buying a light bike, then carry around a 10 lb lock.

Just spray paint a part of the bike in, say, dayglo orange. Yeah, bike is less sexy, but it also would be easy to spot, both reasons why a thief would look elsewhere. And you still have your bike.

Yeah It doesn't make sense .
My lock . It clamps on the brake rotors.
97 oz.

Attachments

• 20240101_110207.jpg
    20240101_110207.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240101_110306.jpg
    20240101_110306.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 41
I have been recently researching this topic and have concluded that the Hiplock D 1000 is currently the best for angle grinder resistance. There is another well known brand that is coming out with a very similar alternative to the Hiplock but it is slightly larger which may make a difference to some ebike owners. Here is a great video worth watching.
Drilling out a lock with ordinary high speed bits is problematic. It's heat that kills HSS bits. The best alternative I know of is cobalt bits (not titanium oxide coated). Cobalt will drill stainless steel because it can withstand high heat.

Back