Bike Lock

Comotose 3.0

Region
Canada
It's good to keep in mind that given the tools and skill level, every lock can be bypassed. I would recommending finding a few highly rated lock and seeing if the LockSmithing Lawyer on YouTube has conducted tests on them. I know he has tested the Abus Bordo 6500 (which some of my coworkers love) and thinks it's a "decent" little lock, although I believe he is more inclined to prefer heavy duty level 15 U locks.

Litelock has no specification, except weight & length. 4 lb is a little light, unless titanium, which they don't say. My 1/2" x 6' SS sling is about 6 lb https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T15 $88 My Abus 92/80 lock is 1 lb, has 12 mm shank $45.
The kryptonite lock you picked has 14.5 mm links, which would take 2 hands and a 4.5" grinder about 15 minutes to go through. 3 hands, or a vise bolted to a bumper, 10 minutes. Weighs 14.7 lb for 5' which is up there in amount of steel.
Be aware of your tether. Most loops installed by cities are a lot easier to cut or unscrew than the kryptonite chain. I use gas meters, live conduits, power poles. Lots of would people react when thieves cut down a power pole with hot wires dangling everywhere. Reason my sling is 6'. 4 years electrified, only thefts were a few lights and some screws out of the battery mount (the wrong ones to steal it). My tire was punctured last week at a convenience store; probably a frustrated amateur thief. I lock up to shop, eat out, or meet ten times a week. Car was parked in 2008.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

Any suggestions for an e-bike lock? I realize that locking any bike for a long time is a risk no matter what lock you use but saw this one and wondered if anyone has checked it out?

https://us.litelok.com/products/core-plus - its the Litelock Core Plus

Was also just going to get a good old Kryptonite like this one but seeing what others have done - https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/004752.html?type=bicycle

Thanks

Sean
I think the best method is to have multiple locks of different forms.
I use an Abus cafe lock with chain attachment and a Abus u lock (gold level) and a motion sensing alarm. I use the cafe lock for quick stops and add the others depending on the risk level of the stop. I never leave my bike outside over night or for very long high risk situations.

It's good to keep in mind that given the tools and skill level, every lock can be bypassed. I would recommending finding a few highly rated lock and seeing if the LockSmithing Lawyer on YouTube has conducted tests on them. I know he has tested the Abus Bordo 6500 (which some of my coworkers love) and thinks it's a "decent" little lock, although I believe he is more inclined to prefer heavy duty level 15 U locks.
Great advice, thanks Cody!

Litelock has no specification, except weight & length. 4 lb is a little light, unless titanium, which they don't say. My 1/2" x 6' SS sling is about 6 lb https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T15 $88 My Abus 92/80 lock is 1 lb, has 12 mm shank $45.
The kryptonite lock you picked has 14.5 mm links, which would take 2 hands and a 4.5" grinder about 15 minutes to go through. 3 hands, or a vise bolted to a bumper, 10 minutes. Weighs 14.7 lb for 5' which is up there in amount of steel.
Be aware of your tether. Most loops installed by cities are a lot easier to cut or unscrew than the kryptonite chain. I use gas meters, live conduits, power poles. Lots of would people react when thieves cut down a power pole with hot wires dangling everywhere. Reason my sling is 6'. 4 years electrified, only thefts were a few lights and some screws out of the battery mount (the wrong ones to steal it). My tire was punctured last week at a convenience store; probably a frustrated amateur thief. I lock up to shop, eat out, or meet ten times a week. Car was parked in 2008.
Thx Indianajo - great insights. I will check out your reco on the Abus. Sounds like you have had some success in keeping it safe. Appreciate it.

ABUS makes pretty good locks but just so you know they have an anti-women religious/business philosophy. That may not matter to you or you might even agree with them. I have both a Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit chain and disc lock and an ABUS Bordo 6500 that I bought before I heard about them. Depending on what kind of neighborhood you're dealing with, 2 or 3 locks aren't a bad idea.

TT

In a nutshell, as I understand it, ABUS is a family owned business in Germany that has been around for generations. The family, at least the men, don't believe in allowing women to inherit (anything). So daughters who would have been in line to inherit shares or leadership roles in the company have been denied what, under more normal circumstances, what should have been theirs.

Feel free to Google this for more info. This is my recollection only, but I think it's right.

TT

Last edited:
In a nutshell, as I understand it, ABUS is a family owned business in Germany that has been around for generations. The family, at least the men, don't believe in allowing women to inherit (anything). So daughters who would have been in line to inherit shares or leadership roles in the company have been denied what, under more normal circumstances, what should have been theirs.

Feel free to Google this for info. This is my recollection only, but I think it's right.

TT
We have no way of knowing the inner decisions within their company, and this is not the place to speculate out of some misplaced social justice hysteria.

Huh? What's a silly way to look at things? I'm just stating the facts as I recall them. There's a reason the company's name used to be August Bremicker und Sohne.

And what hysteria? If you're for or have no opinion about patrilineal inheritance that's fine. Ignore the issue. Other people might care about it and since ABUS makes bike locks it's a valid topic of discussion. I'm totally unaware of any hysteria regarding this.

And with regard to this, the inner workings of the company are documented and well known.

TT

Reactions: BET
And what hysteria? If you're for or have no opinion about patrilineal inheritance that's fine. Ignore the issue.

There's no issue to ignore. This discussion is about the quality of a bike lock. Not hypothetical social justice tangential thoughts.

Your opinion. A lot of people factor such things into their buying decisions.

And since when do you get to dictate what can be part of this discussion anyway?

I added some information to the discussion about bike locks that some people may find helpful. You added your opinion, which is fine, but the more you want to argue about this the more this thread is going to drift. Unless anyone else has any more questions about this little tangent, I don't care to argue with you any further.

TT

I have been recently researching this topic and have concluded that the Hiplock D 1000 is currently the best for angle grinder resistance. There is another well known brand that is coming out with a very similar alternative to the Hiplock but it is slightly larger which may make a difference to some ebike owners. Here is a great video worth watching.

I have been recently researching this topic and have concluded that the Hiplock D 1000 is currently the best for angle grinder resistance. There is another well known brand that is coming out with a very similar alternative to the Hiplock but it is slightly larger which may make a difference to some ebike owners. Here is a great video worth watching.
What’s the other companies name?

It is funny that in the Litelok promo videos you hear the cable cutters clank. That means the set screw is off and the blades cannot touch, it taps the screw first before cutting action can happen. Tap, tap, tap. That is the set screw. 3/4's of a turn and it is a usable tool and then takes 16 seconds to defeat the lock. It is much better to keep a bike you value in sight at all times an next to you in a secure location. Never depend on a lock.

I live in a medium theft area. My lock.

Attachments

• 20230330_172824.jpg
    20230330_172824.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 176
Back